Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not actually a vegetarian, we do try and have one meat free day a week but more for health reason than anything. I certainly couldn’t give up meat full time!!!
We've actually swapped over a couple of things from meat to the veggie option now, again for health reasons. Mince and veggie burgers are easily transferable and as red meat is a good one to drop I am quite happy with that. My daughter did it for ecological reasons, she is 18 and idealistic. It is slightly wobbly ground to change on but she doesn't lecture us so that is fine. If we go out and the veggie option is poor then she will have a meat dish, she is not rigid. She has pretty much stuck to it though, fair play to her.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree but then they are not vegetarians. They may like to kid themselves otherwise but they are not.

(neilds, this next point is not aimed at you)
My daughter turned vegetarian a couple of years ago. Some of her food we make from scratch but a good deal is bought from Quorn and similar. If they make vegetarian sausages in the shape of sausages is she supposed to reject them because they are shaped like meat sausages? Same as veggie burgers and so on. Maybe they are shaped a certain way because it works better to the eye?
I think that, it comes across maybe a little bit hypocritical to be veggie but eat meat-imitation products. But maybe as pauljames said, you just need them to exist for people to wean themselves off for the first few months or whatever.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought masks were compulsory in shops, but I just walked into my local corner shop with a mask on and I was the only one. 5 other customers and 2 shopkeepers (one who was outside of the cash desk, mingling in the main area) and not one of them had a mask on. Made me feel self-conscious wearing it even though I thought it was mandatory! I do think the compulsory mask-wearing came in about two months late - but if nobody is actually doing it, it can't seemingly be enforced so what's the point.
Worker in a shop do not have to wear one although many are. Shoppers do unless they have an exemption letter. There is a scheme where people with exemption can wear a sunflower lanyard stating they do not have to wear one. It is a good idea as it is visible to people and avoids confrontation. Of course, you may just have encountered some selfish, pig headed people 'who wont be forced to wear a mask', deep sigh.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that, it comes across maybe a little bit hypocritical to be veggie but eat meat-imitation products. But maybe as pauljames said, you just need them to exist for people to wean themselves off for the first few months or whatever.
I really don't get that argument. If no animal has been killed then where is the hypocrisy? The whole point is that animals are not hurt, not the shape of food.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Worker in a shop do not have to wear one although many are. Shoppers do unless they have an exemption letter. There is a scheme where people with exemption can wear a sunflower lanyard stating they do not have to wear one. It is a good idea as it is visible to people and avoids confrontation. Of course, you may just have encountered some selfish, pig headed people 'who wont be forced to wear a mask', deep sigh.
I doubt all 5 of the others were exempt, haha. And shopkeepers not having to wear them only makes sense if they stay behind the screen at the tills, but he wasn't. I'm not even like a big stickler for it, but the whole thing is pointless as it can't be enforced. It doesn't make sense anyway, on Sunday I played a football match with almost 30 players involved including subs, which is authorised by the government now, but pop in a shop and they reckon you have to wear a mask? The government message has been wishy washy from the start, it's hardly surprising people are just doing what they want.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My sister in law is full on vegan and so I have started to get used to the minefield (not all vegetable stock cubes are vegan but a chicken pot noodle is etc). Hardest part is wine shopping (vegan safe is not part of much of the wine industry marketing). As for food shapes, burger and sausage shapes are just convenient shapes to eat and great if you have kids as it means they do not feel left out by eating something different to everyone else. Vegetarian food shaped like bacon I am less able to understand. Burger and sausage and other artificial shapes I get, strips of meat less so.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's not even the first few months its long term

Veggie fry up.. egg beans hash brown, toast then couple veggie sausages

The meat industry causes more harm to the environment than majority of other things. We may all have to adopt a less meat reliance diet one day and I'd rather than options be there

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really don't get that argument. If no animal has been killed then where is the hypocrisy? The whole point is that animals are not hurt, not the shape of food.
I'm not sure I'm articulating this properly because I can't think of the right word, but it's like, if you eat an imitation sausage, you're justifying actual sausages being eaten? I don't know, it wasn't my irritation originally anyway, I don't feel that strongly about it or anything, lol.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt all 5 of the others were exempt, haha. And shopkeepers not having to wear them only makes sense if they stay behind the screen at the tills, but he wasn't. I'm not even like a big stickler for it, but the whole thing is pointless as it can't be enforced. It doesn't make sense anyway, on Sunday I played a football match with almost 30 players involved including subs, which is authorised by the government now, but pop in a shop and they reckon you have to wear a mask? The government message has been wishy washy from the start, it's hardly surprising people are just doing what they want.

The football and the shop is not a fair comparison. being outdoors has always been far safer than being indoors and so that explains the difference in attitudes. Does not deal with the non mask wearers though. From what I have noticed, the need to wear a mask correlates almost directly to the size of the shop. It appears that the smaller the establishment you are going in, the less need people see for a mask, corner shop, no mask, Asda wear mask. people have strange logic.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The football and the shop is not a fair comparison. being outdoors has always been far safer than being indoors and so that explains the difference in attitudes. Does not deal with the non mask wearers though. From what I have noticed, the need to wear a mask correlates almost directly to the size of the shop. It appears that the smaller the establishment you are going in, the less need people see for a mask, corner shop, no mask, Asda wear mask. people have strange logic.
My point on the football was more than you will make contact with at least 5 or 6 other people during a game of football, if not more, surely you're more likely or at least equally likely to catch a virus from that than from breathing air with some shoppers?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm articulating this properly because I can't think of the right word, but it's like, if you eat an imitation sausage, you're justifying actual sausages being eaten? I don't know, it wasn't my irritation originally anyway, I don't feel that strongly about it or anything, lol.

Not really. Meat was used for years and years .. so your not justifying it being made you are making it look normal to you

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My point on the football was more than you will make contact with at least 5 or 6 other people during a game of football, if not more, surely you're more likely or at least equally likely to catch a virus from that than from breathing air with some shoppers?
Its not just the breathing air, it is the droplets on stock, shelving etc but from what I understand, yes, you are less likely to catch is playing football outside than shopping inside.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't understand it actually, no. If you believe that animals shouldn't be killed for meat then why would you want to eat something that even imitates that? Couldn't it be argued that in some, small way, something like a vegetarian sausage justifies other people eating actual sausages - for the flavour? I say if you make your choice then you can't have it both ways, you're either against animal products completely, or you're not.

I will concede it's different for anyone who doesn't eat meat for health reasons rather than morals.

A couple of things here..

One of the biggest and simplest things we can do for the environment is to cut down the amount of meat we eat, especially red meat.
We eat far to much meat anyway, there is evidence that processed meat and too much red meat can lead to some cancers.

As a big meat eater I love my BBQ's etc but I have come to really prefer some vegan/veggie stuff over actual meat products. I enjoy beefburgers but can't stand getting a bit of gristle or something in the burger (I know, I make my own now when I can) so now I buy the beyond burgers and they really are a great substitute. They not only taste great but I can eat them without worrying about what I'm putting in my mouth... snigger ye not! :p

I've also been converted to the richmond meat free sausage for similar reasons, they taste great and they're much healthier.

It doesn't have to be an either or thing, you can do both, try it with an open mind and some of you may be pleasantly surprised.

I'll always eat good quality meat though, it's just too good to give up! :)

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of things here..

One of the biggest and simplest things we can do for the environment is to cut down the amount of meat we eat, especially red meat.
We eat far to much meat anyway, there is evidence that processed meat and too much red meat can lead to some cancers.

As a big meat eater I love my BBQ's etc but I have come to really prefer some vegan/veggie stuff over actual meat products. I enjoy beefburgers but can't stand getting a bit of gristle or something in the burger (I know, I make my own now when I can) so now I buy the beyond burgers and they really are a great substitute. They not only taste great but I can eat them without worrying about what I'm putting in my mouth... snigger ye not! :p

I've also been converted to the richmond meat free sausage for similar reasons, they taste great and they're much healthier.

It doesn't have to be an either or thing, you can do both, try it with an open mind and some of you may be pleasantly surprised.

I'll always eat good quality meat though, it's just too god to give up! :)
As I said though, your reasons appear to be health based so it makes sense. I was talking more about staunch animals rights loving vegans and so on.

I have tried a few of the vegan/veggie products. I quite like the Quorn mince in spag bog, because there is less fat and so on. Tried the Gregs vegan sausage roll and the KFC vegan sandwich - both tasted fine, almost like the real thing but not quite - so I'd just rather have the real thing personally.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Delivery drivers who don't press the bell and knock then you get a notification that you missed your parcel when your in

We have a bell because knocking you can't hear through 2 UVPC double glazed doors. Just press the bell.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Thinking I had a job starting in January, the goal posts have moved and they only want French nationals due to Covid, I understand why, just annoying this wasn’t the case from the start.

NearHull

Visit site
I've always found if you warm the condom up a little it becomes less chewy ??‍♂️?
Condom thread!
We were on detachment In Sardinia, all male squadron then (1975). Heavy night in the NAAFI, attached female doctor stood at the back watching drunken young lads doing their thing. One party trick was snorting a condom and then demonstrating with both hands that it was through his nose and out of his mouth. As he rigorously pulled back and forwards the lone female was heard to say “ I don’t know how he can do that - they taste disgusting!” Cue room falling about. She became the Squadron Doctor from that moment onwards.