Random Irritations

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did I see Steve Clarke has agreed to a whopping 10% pay cut? Football as a whole is showing it is all about the money and premiership clubs and players are an utter disgrace.

Disgusting - ordinary 'folk' unlucky to be furloughed will get a 20% cut when they're on 80% or £2.5k/mnth, unless their employer chips in.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The headline from the FT article;

English footballers resist calls for pay cuts during crisis
MPs point to ‘moral vacuum’ as top clubs turn to furlough scheme while player wages remain untouched

The irony of the "Honourable Members" pointing out somebody else's moral vacuum is hilarious and irritating in equal measure.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry but this public outcry about footballers taking a token pay cut is totally justified. There are clubs out there laying off support staff and cutting their salaries whilst vastly over-paid players who cannot even play are getting paid huge amounts. Yes there are other professions who should do the same, yes there are issues with the NHS trying desperately to deal with every possible request in these terribly difficult times but football is popular because people pay to watch it - and right now it is not happening. There are stories all over American sports about players and teams doing something to help those less fortunate than themselves. But the pondlife intelligence that play in the Premier League and their disgusting PFA chairman who sure as hell won't take any cut to his massive salary think they are above it all.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sorry but this public outcry about footballers taking a token pay cut is totally justified. There are clubs out there laying off support staff and cutting their salaries whilst vastly over-paid players who cannot even play are getting paid huge amounts. Yes there are other professions who should do the same, yes there are issues with the NHS trying desperately to deal with every possible request in these terribly difficult times but football is popular because people pay to watch it - and right now it is not happening. There are stories all over American sports about players and teams doing something to help those less fortunate than themselves. But the pondlife intelligence that play in the Premier League and their disgusting PFA chairman who sure as hell won't take any cut to his massive salary think they are above it all.

Who has said it isn't justified? The issue is not with the fact that fingers are being pointed; it's to do with who is doing the finger pointing. That MP's are trying to take the moral high ground over this given their behaviour in recent years is utterly laughable.

D

Deleted member 16999

Are you sure Clubs aren’t working hard in their community? Plenty of stories of Clubs/Players doing good, but this latest outcry has been started by 2 Clubs putting Staff on Furlough, the players didn’t do that or had any say in that decision that was down to the non-playing “intelligent” owners, ie 1 being Mike Ashley.

Some Clubs have kept all their staff on full pay, no publicity for those Clubs though!

Once again it’s the easy target of PL footballers!

D

Deleted member 1740

I don't care who's pointing what finger, these professionals should take a salary reduction to help pay the wages of the ground crew/staff at their club.

Well you should.

The rest I agree with. Instead of placing the employees on Furlough and letting the govt deal with them.

Newcastle have Furloughed staff but then not surprised given the owner.

Spurs after Levy received £7m bonus payment they placed 550 staff on furlough iirc.

Norwich have done the same.

The only time players should be called to take salary reductions is when it's to support their own clubs employees.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's the mentality of the "look I've not played golf for two weeks and I went outside and applauded the NHS last night - what else do I have to do". We are all in this together whether we like it or not. And having footballers on $10M per year insisting they get paid their full amount whilst support staff are laid off on basic salaries is truly disgusting.

Yes there are MPs who have done wrong - haven't we all? But right now the leaders of this country are doing the best they can in truly difficult circumstances. Are Premier League players not being able to play doing that?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know how long any PL club can continue paying everyone at their club full wages when the currently have no income
Some clubs don't actually need gate receipts to survive in the PL. TV money is immense, sponsors money massive.

Gate receipts are a significant issue for those outside the PL but far less so for those in it. It is one of the many reasons clubs are so desperate to get in it.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's the mentality of the "look I've not played golf for two weeks and I went outside and applauded the NHS last night - what else do I have to do". We are all in this together whether we like it or not. And having footballers on $10M per year insisting they get paid their full amount whilst support staff are laid off on basic salaries is truly disgusting.

Yes there are MPs who have done wrong - haven't we all? But right now the leaders of this country are doing the best they can in truly difficult circumstances. Are Premier League players not being able to play doing that?
Show us 1 player doing what you are claiming!
Far better to look at facts rather than media speculation.
Players up and down the Country ARE helping local communities ARE making donations etc.
Who next? Pop Stars, TV Stars, How long until we ask how one of the richest people (The Queen) in the Country is helping?
Highlighting one group of people purely because of a few greedy owners is ridiculous.
Absolutely agree PL Footballers should help, but so should everyone else.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Some clubs don't actually need gate receipts to survive in the PL. TV money is immense, sponsors money massive.

Gate receipts are a significant issue for those outside the PL but far less so for those in it. It is one of the many reasons clubs are so desperate to get in it.
But what happens if the season doesn’t finish?
Can’t see Sky & sponsors paying then the full wack.