Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We've always been a "rock up and p,ay" club but there is a definite ground swell of feeling that the booking system is a better idea.
Some, let's say more experienced, members are not happy at the idea and it is in the constitution that we should be able to turn up and go so it will need to go to AGM but it wouldn't surprise me if, when the necessity for booking declines, the majority will vote to keep it.
The last 2 clubs I've been a member at were booked times so I'm used to it.
While I'm still working,,knowing that I have a time and I won't turn up to find a queue of 4 balls in front is quite comforting

Mandofred

Visit site
You may find there are other members who have quite enjoyed getting a fair crack at the 'premium tee times' objecting to the 'regulars' getting their block booking back.

Or you may find 300 rocking up for the roll up which could be entertaining....
But.....all members are able to play at these "premium tee times". The problem is....these people ONLY want to play with their mates. So... there are people like me who really like the roll-ups and want it to stay (so I get my way).....and there are people who hate this and only want to play with their mates (and get their way). I'd say both sides could compromise...but likely won't.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We've always been a "rock up and p,ay" club but there is a definite ground swell of feeling that the booking system is a better idea.
Some, let's say more experienced, members are not happy at the idea and it is in the constitution that we should be able to turn up and go so it will need to go to AGM but it wouldn't surprise me if, when the necessity for booking declines, the majority will vote to keep it.
The last 2 clubs I've been a member at were booked times so I'm used to it.
While I'm still working,,knowing that I have a time and I won't turn up to find a queue of 4 balls in front is quite comforting

As I say I think it would need to go to the AGM to be permanently changed. When we have non-booked times, there is always the option of using the 10th if there is a roll up going out which a lot of members take up, especially in the mornings when no-one is coming round from the 9th. It is something still very much in the air and so something I'll worry about more when the spectre of Covid has disappeared

D

Deleted member 16999

I disagree. Not having booked teem times has always been a selling point of the club and I think (stand to be corrected) that it is part of the constitution and so would need to be voted in at the AGM. I don't think members would want it as a permanent feature and roll-ups are integral part of the club (including an annual roll up group team event to find the best roll up group of the year)
This my problem/issue, but first let me clarify that I firmly believe roll ups are a great idea and work really well at some clubs.

But, just formalise them by giving them a block booking, that way other members know exactly when to turn up and not have to risk standing around.

They should also be given a set amount of tee times and once filled, unlucky, the roll up needs to apply for extra tee times, similarly if the club see not all tee times being filled then tee times should be reduced.

The bit in bold, can you not at least see that there is a risk of too many roll ups dominating the Tee, to have an annual comp just how many roll ups are there?
How many tee times are vacant for everyone else over a weekend.

Mandofred

Visit site
This my problem/issue, but first let me clarify that I firmly believe roll ups are a great idea and work really well at some clubs.

But, just formalise them by giving them a block booking, that way other members know exactly when to turn up and not have to risk standing around.

They should also be given a set amount of tee times and once filled, unlucky, the roll up needs to apply for extra tee times, similarly if the club see not all tee times being filled then tee times should be reduced.
That's what we do. One group I play in on Saturday (SODS-Saturday open draw) has been playing since the 60's? All of our roll-ups were blocked off so that people knew when they were. Are there too many of them?....likely. I very much understand why people don't like them....but doing away with them pretty well kills off golf for me. I think the booking method is the way golf courses are heading...so likely it's inevitable.....I'll likely need to find something else to do.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's what we do. One group I play in on Saturday (SODS-Saturday open draw) has been playing since the 60's? All of our roll-ups were blocked off so that people knew when they were. Are there too many of them?....likely. I very much understand why people don't like them....but doing away with them pretty well kills off golf for me. I think the booking method is the way golf courses are heading...so likely it's inevitable.....I'll likely need to find something else to do.

Why would it kill golf for you ?

We still hold our swindles by doing a pre draw and then people book a tee time ?

Mandofred

Visit site
Why would it kill golf for you ?

We still hold our swindles by doing a pre draw and then people book a tee time ?
The nature of our roll-ups......Saturday in my case.
1. Total of maybe 30 people of which 20-25 usually show up.
2. Need to get your card in by 8:30 to tee off around 8:45 for the first group.
3. Each day is different and you play with different people each time...no idea who you are going to play with.
4. Most are 4 balls and each group usually plays an internal comp of pair against pair. .50P front nine, .50P back nine and £1 on the round.
5. After you are done everybody who has played goes into the clubhouse and puts in £2.50. 1st and 2nd place money plus any 2's.

Good times are had while sitting around and it can get pretty loud and it's rather enjoyable. This ends without the roll-ups.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing......things change. But without this group social interaction.....it's just not as much fun. Fighting for a tee time like it is now is a pain....waiting at home(setting your alarm) to see if you are fast enough with your finger to log on..... I don't want to do it any more. It's better for some people......worse for others.

I was signed up for our medal this weekend.....taking my name off tomorrow.....and likely won't play any more comps. Going in next week to see if I can get a month of my payments back as was the option for people who paid ahead of time for the year. Another option was that they would take it off next years fees (which is what I was planning).....but if I don't re-new that wouldn't make sense.

Of course.....I may have it all wrong and the roll-ups could come back. The writing is on the walls though.....

D

Deleted member 15344

The nature of our roll-ups......Saturday in my case.
1. Total of maybe 30 people of which 20-25 usually show up.
2. Need to get your card in by 8:30 to tee off around 8:45 for the first group.
3. Each day is different and you play with different people each time...no idea who you are going to play with.
4. Most are 4 balls and each group usually plays an internal comp of pair against pair. .50P front nine, .50P back nine and £1 on the round.
5. After you are done everybody who has played goes into the clubhouse and puts in £2.50. 1st and 2nd place money plus any 2's.

Good times are had while sitting around and it can get pretty loud and it's rather enjoyable. This ends without the roll-ups.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing......things change. But without this group social interaction.....it's just not as much fun. Fighting for a tee time like it is now is a pain....waiting at home(setting your alarm) to see if you are fast enough with your finger to log on..... I don't want to do it any more. It's better for some people......worse for others.

I was signed up for our medal this weekend.....taking my name off tomorrow.....and likely won't play any more comps. Going in next week to see if I can get a month of my payments back as was the option for people who paid ahead of time for the year. Another option was that they would take it off next years fees (which is what I was planning).....but if I don't re-new that wouldn't make sense.

Of course.....I may have it all wrong and the roll-ups could come back. The writing is on the walls though.....
You can have all the after round stuff - we did all year long

Your group will just need to adapt a touch to be more organised before hand.

If you are fighting for a tee time then imagine how all those members who now get equal chance feel ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A crack has appeared in the bottom of the bathtub. Unfortunately I didn't spot this before I had my shower and now rather a lot of water has leaked through the floor boards and is making its way into the lounge. Oh dear. :(

Mandofred

Visit site
You can have all the after round stuff - we did all year long

Your group will just need to adapt a touch to be more organised before hand.

If you are fighting for a tee time then imagine how all those members who now get equal chance feel ?
All members could play at that time....just the same as myself and others....male or female......it was equal. They just didn't get to choose who they played with.....which they didn't want to happen.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Roll ups are and always have been an integral part of the club. Their times are well publicised, open to anyone and usually very good for the bar and food takings. We have no plans at this time to re-introduce them while we are still using booked tee times. As soon as Covid gets confined to history and we can get back to normal I am sure roll-ups will be part of the future
Exactly as it is at my place - except we are still running them while we are using booked tee times - adopting the booking approach described by @PtF. They are a recognised important aspect of the club, listed and described in the club new member handbook - to which new members are directed if they wish to integrate and meet members quickly.

Will tee booking be in place in general after the flood?...definitely more likely now than before the flood. But still a highly contentious decision.

D

Deleted member 16999

All members could play at that time....just the same as myself and others....male or female......it was equal. They just didn't get to choose who they played with.....which they didn't want to happen.
It’s only equal for those who wish to play in the roll up! For those who don’t (using your figures) they don’t know if they can try to tee off at 9:30 or 10:00 as it depends on how many turn up for your roll up.
What makes that ok?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Very hard to run a 'pre booked' swindle. Out Saturday one is very popular. We have tee times for 36, but over the year have 80 odd players who have played in it. Do we send out invites to 80 people, to get the first 36? Do we have a cull? What if you can't get 9 consecutive tee times?
We normally get 3 4s off 10, 12, and 14, with the tee closed for when we come round. Tjis maximises course usage first thing, in a popular time slot, and pretty much gets 36 people in the bar within a half hour of the first group. Consecutive tee times means an hour and 12 minutes difference. It's so far from being the same.

Since booking started after the first lock down, I have played a lot of golf, pretty much 6 games a week through furlough. I have probably played with 15 different people, out of a possible 700. This is not golf club membership to me. It is just an exclusive booking system for me to play with my friends, to the exclusion of everyone else.

Mandofred

Visit site
It’s only equal for those who wish to play in the roll up! For those who don’t (using your figures) they don’t know if they can try to tee off at 9:30 or 10:00 as it depends on how many turn up for your roll up.
What makes that ok?
That is correct.....9:30....could be either way a fair bit. Works for those people. It only seems wrong because you don't agree with it.....I'm not saying you are wrong.... but this kind of argument works for politics/religion etc etc....one side thinks it should be a certain way (because they agree with it) and think it's wrong if they don't agree with it. I'd be fine with a compromise of some nature....heck, have the roll-up later in the day when it's not "prime time" to keep people like you happy....fine with me. I'm willing to compromise to try and make both sides happy...not sure you would be.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Me to Pro: You promised me that you wouldn't give me more things to think about with my swing and you have...
Pro to Me: I haven't given you more things to think about, I've just introduced an incremental increase in those things
Me to Pro: Ah - that's alright then (but still feeling confused as I know that I do have more things to think about)

But hey - I'm easily confused. But what do I know. The golf swing is complicated, and after all - he's the Pro and must know what he's talking about.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Me to Pro: You promised me that you wouldn't give me more things to think about with my swing and you have...
Pro to Me: I haven't given you more things to think about, I've just introduced an incremental increase in those things
Me to Pro: Ah - that's alright then (but still feeling confused as I know that I do have more things to think about)

But hey - I'm easily confused. But what do I know. The golf swing is complicated, and after all - he's the Pro and must know what he's talking about.

Funny when you are playing really well that you never think about the mechanics of the swing.
I have advocated that when you are in the zone it is a good time to book a short lesson so the Pro can see your natural action.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must've twisted my right knee a couple of weeks ago while playing, its been getting worse since.
After2 hours in my local A/E dept the nurse thinks it's cartilage or ligament damage and suggested pain killers, light exercise and referred me for physio [ 6 week waiting list ] so no golf for a few weeks :cry:.
Or taking the knee :ROFLMAO:

While you have my sympathy and I am sure it's painful, your time there was a complete waste of Accident & Emergency staffs time. Something you could have seen your GP for and got a referral from there. And we wonder why A&E wait times are so bad when people go there with non Accidents or Emergencies. It's not like the clue is not in the name!!