Random Irritations

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you honestly think the people booing at Millwall were doing so at political intentions of some of the BLM?

Taking the knee at football is clearly in support of ending racism. Which has got absolutely nothing to do with politics.

No absolutely not. I think that those booing at Millwall are/were racist morons. But that's just my opinion and I have no evidence to back that up. Equally you can't allow those in favour of BLM to protest showing their support and ban those who are against the BLM movement from protesting and showing they are against it. Taking the knee came from the BLM movement and as such is a political gesture. In my opinion political statements or gestures have no place in sport.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would respectfully request that you don’t judge the entire BLM movement based on the actions of a small minority, which is ironic really... ?

I would argue that there needs to be a split between those who are opposed to racism and the BLM movement (<--- and by "movement" I mean the political side of things). Anti-racism protests and a drive towards real equality are absolutely necessary due to the actions of a minority in all walks of life, not just the police, but I think that these need to be separated from the more extreme political aims of BLM.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would argue that there needs to be a split between those who are opposed to racism and the BLM movement (<--- and by "movement" I mean the political side of things). Anti-racism protests and a drive towards real equality are absolutely necessary due to the actions of a minority in all walks of life, not just the police, but I think that these need to be separated from the more extreme political aims of BLM.
You make some valid points, but how do you separate 2 groups with a shared aim? They may diverge on other aspects, but as long as they share the same goal then they are going to be indiscriminately lumped together.

Where we completely disagree is your opinion that sport and “politics” should be separate. Sport is a vital tool in changing public opinion. Issues such as Apartheid are a perfect example of this.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You make some valid points, but how do you separate 2 groups with a shared aim? They may diverge on other aspects, but as long as they share the same goal then they are going to be indiscriminately lumped together.

Where we completely disagree is your opinion that sport and “politics” should be separate. Sport is a vital tool in changing public opinion. Issues such as Apartheid are a perfect example of this.

I get where you are coming from but would argue that with a situation such as Apartheid it should be entirely a political decision and completely taken out of the hands of sport. A government should state that because of the views/policies of your ruling elite we are banning all of our sports teams from touring your country or playing against any of your teams regardless of the sporting (or other) consequences, we will not support what you are doing. Politicians have made the decision and sport doesn't have to get involved.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get where you are coming from but would argue that with a situation such as Apartheid it should be entirely a political decision and completely taken out of the hands of sport. A government should state that because of the views/policies of your ruling elite we are banning all of our sports teams from touring your country or playing against any of your teams regardless of the sporting (or other) consequences, we will not support what you are doing. Politicians have made the decision and sport doesn't have to get involved.
But there are times (and apartheid is as good an example as any) we as individuals, groups, and collectives should take a stand outwith the direction of "government". And sports groups and collectives have a powerful voice. IMO.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But there are times (and apartheid is as good an example as any) we as individuals, groups, and collectives should take a stand outwith the direction of "government". And sports groups and collectives have a powerful voice. IMO.

While I agree, I think that individuals, groups and collectives should be taking the stand and using it to put pressure on the governments to "do the right thing". It is a far more powerful message if the UK government ban any UK sport team from touring South Africa (sticking with Apartheid as the example) rather than an individual team deciding not to tour while others still visit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When the sun has heated the infinity pool too much that it doesn't give respite from the heat:(
View attachment 33858

Happy Sunday guys! ?
If that is for real, not a stock photo lifted from the internet, then I dislike you intensely right now ?.

(That picture is annoyingly hypnotic to stare at as the rain is bouncing down outside ?)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If that is for real, not a stock photo lifted from the internet, then I dislike you intensely right now ?.

(That picture is annoyingly hypnotic to stare at as the rain is bouncing down outside ?)

I'm afraid it's very real :eek:
Taken about 40 minutes ago
This is my local bar, just popped down for some lunch and a lemonade ?

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Catching up on the week gone by;
Forgetting your £ coin for the trolley at Aldi.
Dion Dublin (serial irritator)
Scaffolders- There is only one requirement to do this job;
Must drive and act like a knob at all times.