Random Irritations

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm after a gaming monitor, done loads of research so far, found a 32" Dell monitor which seemed to tick all the boxes so found it on Amazon. Didn't spot in the reviews that it's a curved screen ?
Time to start the search again ?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm after a gaming monitor, done loads of research so far, found a 32" Dell monitor which seemed to tick all the boxes so found it on Amazon. Didn't spot in the reviews that it's a curved screen ?
Time to start the search again ?

Prefer curved screens for gaming personally. Not quite as aggressive as 1000R but 1500/1800R is nice for getting the "immersion" in the game. Currently got a MSI MAG 34" ultrawide (1500R) 1440p 100Hz and it's great. I have a 27" Samsung 1800R 1440p 144Hz next to it and tbh, I don't see any difference from 100Hz to 144Hz and the Samsung was much more expensive for little to no gain.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Prefer curved screens for gaming personally. Not quite as aggressive as 1000R but 1500/1800R is nice for getting the "immersion" in the game. Currently got a MSI MAG 34" ultrawide (1500R) 1440p 100Hz and it's great. I have a 27" Samsung 1800R 1440p 144Hz next to it and tbh, I don't see any difference from 100Hz to 144Hz and the Samsung was much more expensive for little to no gain.

Well I know I said I’ve done some research but I don’t know what a lot of that means ?
It’s for a PS5 so I do know it doesn’t do 1440p, I was looking at a 4k 60hz with hdr model as the hdmi 2.1 monitors look crazy expensive ?
Never even considered a curved screen, I’ve made a man cave for gaming so it will be me alone sat in front of it, do curved screen really make it a bit more immersive?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pushy salesfolk. My badminton racket has developed a rattle inside the handle. I went down my local racket shop to enquire if they could remove the grip and the end-cap, remove whatever is rattling and put a new grip on for me. He goes out the back to check. An older feller from the back shouts "did you buy this racket from us?" and I answer no, I didn't. The first guy comes back out:
"This racket is broken, nothing we can do. You're better off buying a new one - these ones here are all on Black Friday sales."
'Oh. Well I wasn't really planning to buy a new one today, I might go and have a think about that or persist with the current one for now since it still works.'
"Well the handle is broken so you're really better off buying a new one."

Yeah alright mate, wind it in. Clearly the old timer out the back has told you to push for a sale so you can jog on. I'll have a go at fixing it myself I guess. And I'll buy the new grip from elsewhere.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I know I said I’ve done some research but I don’t know what a lot of that means ?
It’s for a PS5 so I do know it doesn’t do 1440p, I was looking at a 4k 60hz with hdr model as the hdmi 2.1 monitors look crazy expensive ?
Never even considered a curved screen, I’ve made a man cave for gaming so it will be me alone sat in front of it, do curved screen really make it a bit more immersive?

HDMI 2.1 will stay expensive for a while. I'm just glad that as a PC gamer I get the Displayport option over HDMI.

The R part refers to the radial curve of the monitor. The lower the number the tighter the curve, 1800R is quite a gentle curve, 1500R is slightly more aggressive but still not too bad and 1000R is going more "wrap-round" style. IMO, and having used both flat and curved monitors, especially in FPS games, I get a better "view of the landscape" with the curved screen as more of it stays in my eyeline than a large flat monitor.

The 34" ultrawide is huge, a lot bigger than I expected when I bought it but I definitely prefer it to large flat panels.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pushy salesfolk. My badminton racket has developed a rattle inside the handle. I went down my local racket shop to enquire if they could remove the grip and the end-cap, remove whatever is rattling and put a new grip on for me. He goes out the back to check. An older feller from the back shouts "did you buy this racket from us?" and I answer no, I didn't. The first guy comes back out:
"This racket is broken, nothing we can do. You're better off buying a new one - these ones here are all on Black Friday sales."
'Oh. Well I wasn't really planning to buy a new one today, I might go and have a think about that or persist with the current one for now since it still works.'
"Well the handle is broken so you're really better off buying a new one."

Yeah alright mate, wind it in. Clearly the old timer out the back has told you to push for a sale so you can jog on. I'll have a go at fixing it myself I guess. And I'll buy the new grip from elsewhere.
I've just taken the grip off, got the end cap off and a blob of dried glue fell out. Broken handle my arse.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've just taken the grip off, got the end cap off and a blob of dried glue fell out. Broken handle my arse.
While I appreciate (and agree with) your distrust of the 'shop', until you can identify where that 'blob of dried glue' came from, the possibility that it IS a broken handle still exists.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
While I appreciate (and agree with) your distrust of the 'shop', until you can identify where that 'blob of dried glue' came from, the possibility that it IS a broken handle still exists.
There was only a small cavity and no structural damage visible. The handle is made of wood, and no bits of wood had come apart. It must just be excess glue which has broken off. Nothing wrong with the racket at all.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are you related to my wife? That's to sort of reply I get from her. (Just saying, not a wind up or anything, I'm gonna add this to most of my posts from now on).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Road still dug up be these city fibre clowns, dug up the pavement this time condoned off the who roads still, even though there is only 50 yards at most, buggered off and are making a mess elsewhere, be nice if they came back and finished the job here first

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They need to find another name for it.....
Black Friday just doesn't work when it lasts a month and a half....
Email from Amazon just now " 2 days of Black Friday"
I despair.....