Random Irritations

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
On single carriageway I guess that there is no harm in letting oncoming traffic know that you intend to go back into your lane. But truth is I myself very rarely overtake on single carriageway roads. Just can’t be bothered unless it’s a tractor or something else just crawling along. If it’s going 30+ mph I’ll generally just happily sit behind it.

So instead of one car to overtake, the person behind has two cars to overtake unless that person wants to sit needlessly thus creating a slow line of traffic frustrating everybody behind who knows the accelerator pedal has more than an inch of travel.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So instead of one car to overtake, the person behind has two cars to overtake unless that person wants to sit needlessly thus creating a slow line of traffic frustrating everybody behind who knows the accelerator pedal has more than an inch of travel.
Not needlessly. Why should I risk overtaking if I don’t want to - especially if I don’t think it safe to do so. If the road is clear and the speed limit permits 10-20mph above speed of vehicle in front of me then I might well overtake… but if I am not in a rush and I am not sure, then why should I…does the Highway Code require me to? No.

Truth is, if I am in no rush and there is one or more cars behind me, I’ll often pull to the side to let them pass me. Old fart driving perhaps but I’d rather a journey takes seconds longer by my pulling to the side than risking overtaking when I don’t feel inclined or don’t wish to take any risks.

Last edited:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Not needlessly. Why should I risk overtaking if I don’t want to - especially if I don’t think it safe to do so. If the road is clear and the speed limit permits 10-20mph above speed of vehicle in front of me then I might well overtake… but if I am not in a rush and I am not sure, then why should I…does the Highway Code require me to? No.

Truth is, if I am in no rush and there is one or more cars behind me, I’ll often pull to the side to let them pass me. Old fart driving perhaps but I’d rather a journey takes seconds longer by my pulling to the side than risking overtaking when I don’t feel inclined or don’t wish to take any risks.

I wish more people with caravans would do this! I did this all of the time when I shared a caravan with my late parents.

In this instance, you don't need to pull aside, just drop back far enough so that the person behind you can see a nice gap that they can pull into once they overtake you.

One of my biggest hates are people who drive slowly on winding roads, holding you back, and then accelerate when there is a straight section and stop you from overtaking them there!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't have to overtake, just leave enough room between you and the vehicle in front so that quicker drivers can overtake you and pull in in front of you.
Which I do as well as I tend to avoid driving on the bumper of any vehicle in front of me if I do not intend to pass it. I will hang back - though I get very irritated with losing the space I leave in front of me when motorway driving only for someone to overtake me and pull into the safe distance gap I have left.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On the subject of the highway code.
When overtaking on a motorway I always thought it was the norm to put your indicator on as a signal you're intending to overtake, but only change lanes when it's clear and safe to do so.
These days it's more indicate as a signal that you're just going to change lanes anyway, and if you don't get out of my way I'm going to shout and screamm at you for not getting out of my way ??

Mirror - signal - maneuvere

You shouldn't indicate until you have checked in your mirror that it's safe to pull out. Really annoys me when I'm in the outside Lane just about to pass a car, and the guy indicates to come out. You've then got that moment of doubt when you don't know if he hasnt bothered checking and is going to pull out anyway.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I turned off lane assist day one of BMW ownership (clearly a way to make us indicate more)! It had to be disabled avery trip which was a pain but fortunately a recent software update changed that. I leave the vibration on the steering wheel on but do not want it to try and drag me back across the road!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I turned off lane assist day one of BMW ownership (clearly a way to make us indicate more)! It had to be disabled avery trip which was a pain but fortunately a recent software update changed that. I leave the vibration on the steering wheel on but do not want it to try and drag me back across the road!

Clever tech tho, adaptive cruise control combined with lane keep is part of the auto drive basics really

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whoever designed the Tesco shopping app

Whenever we go on our click and collect it takes stuff off as that second it's out of stock. But give it a day back in stock. Just leave it on then on the day if not in stock it won't come...simple

Also they seem to be the only supermarket that don't email to say what's not coming that day when your order is put through the till

Today was classic .. lamb shoulder diced for a curry ... Not available try this (leg) ok cool. What came? Shoulder as leg not available .. steller work

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clever tech tho, adaptive cruise control combined with lane keep is part of the auto drive basics really

It is but if I was to overtake a cyclist and not indicate I really don't want my car to try and steer back into said cyclist...

I'm not sure mine has adaptive cruise...:oops:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is but if I was to overtake a cyclist and not indicate I really don't want my car to try and steer back into said cyclist...

I'm not sure mine has adaptive cruise...:oops:

To be fair long as you overtake with a strong two hands it won't fling you back as you override it.. which overtaking like that you are 100% paying attention, it's designed for lapses in concentration rather than defined movements

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The way the radio phone-in raging has been going this morning you might think that no one has ever been delayed and has missed an appointment, flight or connection or otherwise inconvenienced by congestion caused by road traffic accidents, roadworks - or indeed simply the volume of traffic ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How incredibly difficult importing anything in to the UK has become. Order after order fails to be delivered on time. One order currently at customs since July 26th.

These are companies that I have dealt with for years.
Thought I heard this morning that implementation of import controls was being delayed - maybe that’s just for food. Of course it’s not possible to speculate on here as to why you are experiencing difficulties and so I won’t. We can each and every one of us draw our own conclusions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thought I heard this morning that implementation of import controls was being delayed - maybe that’s just for food. Of course it’s not possible to speculate on here as to why you are experiencing difficulties and so I won’t. We can each and every one of us draw our own conclusions.
It isn't political so no need to make so. We are no longer part of the EU, we are not in the trading block, so customs no longer wave your goods through. It is the same if you were to import from the US, S.America, Africa, Asia, Norway etc. It's a pain, it is irritating but we are going to have to get used to it. Orders getting stuck in customs for the amount of time mentioned by Greig is not normal and is something that should have been addressed by now. That is very poor.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It isn't political so no need to make so. We are no longer part of the EU, we are not in the trading block, so customs no longer wave your goods through. It is the same if you were to import from the US, S.America, Africa, Asia, Norway etc. It's a pain, it is irritating but we are going to have to get used to it. Orders getting stuck in customs for the amount of time mentioned by Greig is not normal and is something that should have been addressed by now. That is very poor.
Believe me - some will try and find something political in everything I post…reading my mind or reading between the lines if necessary ?. I myself only became properly aware of import duties when we sent a parcel from Australia to UK back in 2019 - daughter had to pay a whack of duty when postie delivered it to her, and so to today as you point out.