Random irritations of the day......

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Websites that have an "Accept all" button for cookies but don't have a "Reject all" meaning you have to scroll down the list to turn them all off manually. When I come to power, if you have "Accept all" button you will also have to have a "Reject all" button.
The govt made a lot of noise about this in parliament about giving 'people the choice'.. But all it has done is add another bureaucratic box ticking exercise. I have yet to go to a website and chosen 'reject all' or reject anything for that matter. What was the point in this whole thing?
Anyways, cookies as a technology are disappearing..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
The govt made a lot of noise about this in parliament about giving 'people the choice'.. But all it has done is add another bureaucratic box ticking exercise. I have yet to go to a website and chosen 'reject all' or reject anything for that matter. What was the point in this whole thing?
Anyways, cookies as a technology are disappearing..
What are they being replaced with or how will it work going forward?

Kellfire

Blackballed
What are they being replaced with or how will it work going forward?
Google and Facebook are trying desperately to figure that out.

For anyone who is being a bit lazy and just hitting “accept all” - don’t - take the time to do it properly because you’re often agreeing to mass publisher groups which will cover many different websites. They’re counting on you being lazy and not reading properly.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Also, the UK may set its own rules around GDPR so things may change again there. And without getting too political, if you asked me if the current government would be ok giving businesses easier access to our information, I’d lean towards yes.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Also, the UK may set its own rules around GDPR so things may change again there. And without getting too political, if you asked me if the current government would be ok giving businesses easier access to our information, I’d lean towards yes.
I've recently done an online GDPR test which is mandatory in my role. I think the bulk of it keeps the IA Team in jobs rather than protecting peoples' data.

Not unlike much of current FS Compliance. Eg I wanted to pay an extra lump into my pension, but couldn't do so without an "advice fee" for recalculating the projections following the payment. None of which I needed. Ho Hum.

Kellfire

Blackballed
I've recently done an online GDPR test which is mandatory in my role. I think the bulk of it keeps the IA Team in jobs rather than protecting peoples' data.

Not unlike much of current FS Compliance. Eg I wanted to pay an extra lump into my pension, but couldn't do so without an "advice fee" for recalculating the projections following the payment. None of which I needed. Ho Hum.
My job gives me unfettered access to patients’ complete medical history so there is a huge push for data security here, too. But the actual training provided is little more than watching a short video about the Caldecott Principles and then a test that’s basically impossible to fail every year.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
My job gives me unfettered access to patients’ complete medical history so there is a huge push for data security here, too. But the actual training provided is little more than watching a short video about the Caldecott Principles and then a test that’s basically impossible to fail every year.
Ah, that's the other end of the scale then! :ROFLMAO:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Google and Facebook are trying desperately to figure that out.

For anyone who is being a bit lazy and just hitting “accept all” - don’t - take the time to do it properly because you’re often agreeing to mass publisher groups which will cover many different websites. They’re counting on you being lazy and not reading properly.
dont worry.. take the blue pill and we will all be in a metaverse soon... (whatever that means)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
You failed the first test.... correct spelling is Caldicott Principles :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Google has threatened to block Third party cookies by default.. but this has been delayed.
https://www.invoca.com/blog/tracking-cookies-are-dead-what-marketers-can-do-about-it
Some cookies are there to help the page load quicker next time though, aren't they? Or am I thinking of something else? Will they continue and only the tracking ones stopped?

I read most of the article but I did reach a point where little birds started tweeting around my head and everything went fuzzy :LOL:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
In the last 2 hours I have seen 4 different cars, none of them Learners, approach a roundabout, signal left and go straight ahead.......
I can't even contemplate the possibility that it could enter someone's head to think that this is the correct thing to do...
I am depressed :cautious:
I know you're a driving instructor so don't jump down my throat, but I find it amazing that using a round a bout correctly is not taught. The only thing I can remember being told, many many years ago when I learnt to drive was that " you do not have to signal to leave a round a bout as there is only one way off " . Surely utter rubbish, but I quote it to anyone who cares to listen.
When should you indicate to turn right? When you get to that point should you indicate left? Two lanes as you approach the round a bout. You are going straight on, but there is a left turn immediately as you enter the rab. Which lane should you be in? If you are turning right should you be in the outside lane?

It's a minefield, and I admit to make a hash of things....sometimes.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Since when have trousers at half mast been a fashion thing? The amount of school kids (13-16 age) in trousers like this is baffling. My god you'd have got ripped to shreds in my day dressing like this.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Since when have trousers at half mast been a fashion thing? The amount of school kids (13-16 age) in trousers like this is baffling. My god you'd have got ripped to shreds in my day dressing like this.
Adults are wearing them like that as well. You can buy deliberately half mast trousers now. It's been around a for a year or so, could be earlier but I am a long way from fashion so it took me a while to notice. It does look rubbish though, maybe that is an age thing :unsure:

Back in the day you had them when it was near the end of term and your parents didn't want to buy you new ones in case you had a growth spurt in the summer :LOL:

Kellfire

Blackballed
I know you're a driving instructor so don't jump down my throat, but I find it amazing that using a round a bout correctly is not taught. The only thing I can remember being told, many many years ago when I learnt to drive was that " you do not have to signal to leave a round a bout as there is only one way off " . Surely utter rubbish, but I quote it to anyone who cares to listen.
When should you indicate to turn right? When you get to that point should you indicate left? Two lanes as you approach the round a bout. You are going straight on, but there is a left turn immediately as you enter the rab. Which lane should you be in? If you are turning right should you be in the outside lane?

It worries me that you have such a complete lack of knowledge of how to negotiate a roundabout. I think this is one of those where if you don’t know the answer, you are the problem.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro

Ever heard of reading the highway code?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
On the subject of the highway code.
When overtaking on a motorway I always thought it was the norm to put your indicator on as a signal you're intending to overtake, but only change lanes when it's clear and safe to do so.
These days it's more indicate as a signal that you're just going to change lanes anyway, and if you don't get out of my way I'm going to shout and screamm at you for not getting out of my way 🙈😅