Random Irritations

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you do them when you had symptoms? I'm sure that someone more qualified than me (@Ethan) will be able to confirm this but I'm fairly sure that they aren't designed for those that have Covid symptoms. Generally if you take a LFT and it gives you a positive result then around 95% (ish I think) of the time this will be confirmed by a PCR test as correct but if you get a negative result from a LFT the percentage chances of you not having it are a lot lower.

Yep. Symptoms = PCR. It is a matter for debate whether there is a good use for LFTs, but current practice is to restrict it to routine screening.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The idiot cyclist that pulled out around a row of approx 10 cars, on his side of the road, while I was coming the other way half way down the row of cars and then proceeded to pull in front of my car forcing me to stop and give me a mouthful of abuse for not giving him enough room. Needless to say I returned the abuse and pointed out that it was my right of way as the cars were on his side of the road and I was already halfway down the line of cars when he pulled out into my path.
The individual of a group of five cyclist who pulled out into middle of road when going up a hill, meaning we could not pass. But karma. Minute or two later we passed three of the five but we then got stuck behind the remaining two as they slowed up another rise. Our speed dropped but as it picked up the other three were now stuck behind us stuck behind their slower mates…?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The couple of posts about cyclists are interesting especially as I've been on a 4 day course learning to coach Bikeability in schools.

An interesting concept is Primary road position (google it if interested) which may counter argue one of the issues (if middle of the road means middle of the lane of the flow of traffic).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you do them when you had symptoms? I'm sure that someone more qualified than me (@Ethan) will be able to confirm this but I'm fairly sure that they aren't designed for those that have Covid symptoms. Generally if you take a LFT and it gives you a positive result then around 95% (ish I think) of the time this will be confirmed by a PCR test as correct but if you get a negative result from a LFT the percentage chances of you not having it are a lot lower.
Both - I had a Covid app notification so I did a test, came back negative. Then I started getting some light symptoms so did another test, came back negative. Then I booked for a PCR test and did another lateral one while I was waiting, came back negative but the PCR test was positive. The lateral flow tests seem pretty pointless to me.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both - I had a Covid app notification so I did a test, came back negative. Then I started getting some light symptoms so did another test, came back negative. Then I booked for a PCR test and did another lateral one while I was waiting, came back negative but the PCR test was positive. The lateral flow tests seem pretty pointless to me.

Not just to you. The LFT is designed to accept a high false negative rate in exchange for a low false positive rate. Few people will be told they are infected when they are truly not, but quite a few will be told they are not infected when they truly are. I fail to see the value in this outcome, so I have never done one.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The couple of posts about cyclists are interesting especially as I've been on a 4 day course learning to coach Bikeability in schools.

An interesting concept is Primary road position (google it if interested) which may counter argue one of the issues (if middle of the road means middle of the lane of the flow of traffic).
Quit annoying the amount of anti cyclists post on SM, of course there are some bad apples, but the point I always make, every years hundreds of cyclists are killed by motorists on Britain's roads...how many motorists are killed by cyclists???

None, puts being held up for a couple of minutes into prospective.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I had Covid I did 3 of those lateral home tests and they all came up negative. Useless!

I was the same, minging with Covid and bother LF tests came up negative. I did lateral flow test yesterday which was negative so I've left it at that. My cold is getting better to be fair and I don't have the weird feeling in my head (like it was dunked under water) like when I had Covid so I guess it's just a common cold I have.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The world of plumbing!

Bathroom basin tap -hot- is dripping. Being as useful as a chocolate teapot at DIY, I nevetheless thought that by consulting YouTube videos I could learn to change the tap washer.
Watched a couple, found a relevant one and with the wife supervising ? gave it a go.
Did OK to find that I haven't got a rubber washer to replace , but I'm dealing with a quarter turn tap with ceramic valve.
Got the valve out OK , but where do I go from here?

Ok , look on the internet. I find a valve looks exactly the same, about £10 or so, but speaking to the lad who fitted the taps, he tells me the replacement valve MUST be the same make.
Guess what, the same make valves are about £60, and getting them will be a pain compared ( I suspect)with going to local plumbers merchants.

If I take the valve I've removed to plumbers merchant is there likely to be a
Valve of some other make thatvwill fit Ok-
I get the feeling that this would be so.

Any experts who could advise, please?

All I wanted to do was change a washer??

Thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

Lazy parents

My little ones school is 20 mins walk

We have neighbours around the corner whose little Jonny has started school at the same time

She is driving little Jonny to school every day in her big SUV

Then complains about having to queue to get into the school.

Prob leaves before me and then gets home after me.

If she and little Jonny walked they lose some of the poundage

sunshine

Visit site
Lazy parents

We have neighbours around the corner whose little Jonny has started school at the same time

I live in a village and I see mums driving to/from school when they live less than 10 minute walk away.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Lazy parents

I genuinely believe overweight children is a form of child abuse by neglect.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lazy parents

You would love my kids school Phil, they do a 'kiss and drop' you can pull up and throw them out of the car in the morning, there is a staff member on the gate, its all good and seems to work well (I live 1km away and walk rain or shine without fail)

Anyway, a lot of the parents seem to think this is the same at pickup. It's funny, the school is at the end point of a crescent road which local knowledge is 1 way at school times. You see the same cars driving round and round and round doing laps until their kid comes out!! It's proper funny!

Oh and one more, there is one mum who looking to earn a few quid, bought into a franchise! Cambridge 1 to 1 diet plan! The car is all stickered up with it! 'Slim with Kim' :ROFLMAO: She drives around and around, or parks on double yellows close to the gates, proper fat that her chest and belly is almost touching the steering wheel! what an advert!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not just to you. The LFT is designed to accept a high false negative rate in exchange for a low false positive rate. Few people will be told they are infected when they are truly not, but quite a few will be told they are not infected when they truly are. I fail to see the value in this outcome, so I have never done one.
Strikes me that the LFT is designed to give a reasonably accurate indication of the level of infection in a community when a significant number in that community take the test. The accuracy of that indication depends upon the sample size taking the test and for any decent level of confidence that sample size has to be large. On an individual-by-individual basis I am not sure that the LFT is of much use, if this is right then it becomes irritating and worrying that so many seem to put so much store in it as an indication of their own individual status +VE or -VE.

D

Deleted member 15344

I live in a village and I see mums driving to/from school when they live less than 10 minute walk away.

It’s just height of laziness - im loving the walk in the morning and even better is the walk home as she chats about her day

You would love my kids school Phil, they do a 'kiss and drop' you can pull up and throw them out of the car in the morning, there is a staff member on the gate, its all good and seems to work well (I live 1km away and walk rain or shine without fail)

Anyway, a lot of the parents seem to think this is the same at pickup. It's funny, the school is at the end point of a crescent road which local knowledge is 1 way at school times. You see the same cars driving round and round and round doing laps until their kid comes out!! It's proper funny!

Oh and one more, there is one mum who looking to earn a few quid, bought into a franchise! Cambridge 1 to 1 diet plan! The car is all stickered up with it! 'Slim with Kim' :ROFLMAO: She drives around and around, or parks on double yellows close to the gates, proper fat that her chest and belly is almost touching the steering wheel! what an advert!

It’s mayhem around the school with cars and mainly big bloody suvs , it doesn’t surprise me that kids get knocked over near schools

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bought a new oven a couple of weeks ago. Big sticker on the front saying call this number to register for your free 2 year manufacturer's warranty. Just rung the number expecting to get thru to the manufacturer, instead end up with an insurance company who are only interested in telling me what the manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover and trying to persuade me to take out additional cover!