Random Irritations

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not that undertaking is illegal anyway.

I will continue my advocacy of undertaking when it is safe to do so. I’m a big fan.
Strange choice of wording. I sometimes read your posts and think you get a bit of a hard time on here. Then I read stuff like this and wonder if you’re just a bit of a dick or on the constant wind up. Undertaking is not illegal as it is impossible to avoid in congested conditions, where the left lane might be moving faster than the outside lane. However, the Highway Code is clear you should not move to the left to overtake.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
...that "Things that gladden the heart" has been going longer than this thread and has less than a quarter the number of posts.
I've just irritated the hell out of myself.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Strange choice of wording. I sometimes read your posts and think you get a bit of a hard time on here. Then I read stuff like this and wonder if you’re just a bit of a dick or on the constant wind up. Undertaking is not illegal as it is impossible to avoid in congested conditions, where the left lane might be moving faster than the outside lane. However, the Highway Code is clear you should not move to the left to overtake.
Saying that I advocate for a safe way to move past another car is strange wording? Ok. If you think that’s strange, fine. I can live with that.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Saying that I advocate for a safe way to move past another car is strange wording? Ok. If you think that’s strange, fine. I can live with that.
It’s strange that you would advocate to do so, when clearly to do so is discouraged because it is inherently dangerous - whether you perceive it safe or not. Other road users, including the car you are undertaking will not be expecting that manoeuvre.

As an aside, I wonder if undertaking could be seen as careless driving/driving without due care and attention? If so can it attract points/fines?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I undertake regularly on a 40mph dual carriageway near me. 70% of the cars are in lane 2 doing 55mph and all much closer together than those of us in lane 1. When we reach a queue at the next roundabout I usually trundle past half a dozen who went passed me a few seconds before. Happens every day. Three roundabouts in little more than a mile and sometimes undertake the same cars at least twice. Its like Wacky Races with all the baddies in lane 2.

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
...that "Things that gladden the heart" has been going longer than this thread and has less than a quarter the number of posts.
I've just irritated the hell out of myself.

Actually that is incorrect
This thread is random irritations #2

The original thread having to be binned due to a militant penguin, GDPR and our inability at the time, to action this without binning the whole thread.

?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s strange that you would advocate to do so, when clearly to do so is discouraged because it is inherently dangerous - whether you perceive it safe or not. Other road users, including the car you are undertaking will not be expecting that manoeuvre.

As an aside, I wonder if undertaking could be seen as careless driving/driving without due care and attention? If so can it attract points/fines?
Driving is inherently dangerous ergo I guess you don’t drive?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Another strange choice of wording. I’ve stopped wondering and have now determined that you’re a (mod edit )
I’m merely playing you at your own game of vague wording and misinterpretation. I’ve said above that I advocate for it when it’s safe to do so but yet you come back with how it’s dangerous. Well no, it’s no more dangerous than any other form of driving when it’s safe to do so. Did you miss the word safe from what I said? It’s right there.

To clarify, nowhere have I said people should swerve into a left lane to undertake. In fact I’ve given no specifics whatsoever. But there are people who think undertaking is illegal (it isn’t) and will even slow down to the speed of the cars in right hand lanes rather than moving past them when the other car is going slowly in an outside lane.

Wouldn’t you agree that it’s safe to do so? Or at least safer than a motorway all slowing down to 55mph to match the idiot in the third lane?

Last edited by a moderator:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driving from Dorset to Yorkshire yesterday, and a youngish woman in a large BMW Chelsea tractor veering about in the middle lane at about 60 mph. When we went past her she was looking down and texting/Facebook on her phone. Absolute muppet.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Actually that is incorrect
This thread is random irritations #2

The original thread having to be binned due to a militant penguin, GDPR and our inability at the time, to action this without binning the whole thread.

?
Does that mean I should be twice as irritated as I was earlier? :unsure:

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m merely playing you at your own game of vague wording and misinterpretation. I’ve said above that I advocate for it when it’s safe to do so but yet you come back with how it’s dangerous. Well no, it’s no more dangerous than any other form of driving when it’s safe to do so. Did you miss the word safe from what I said? It’s right there.

To clarify, nowhere have I said people should swerve into a left lane to undertake. In fact I’ve given no specifics whatsoever. But there are people who think undertaking is illegal (it isn’t) and will even slow down to the speed of the cars in right hand lanes rather than moving past them when the other car is going slowly in an outside lane.

Wouldn’t you agree that it’s safe to do so? Or at least safer than a motorway all slowing down to 55mph to match the idiot in the third lane?
I didn’t make any inferences other that state what the Highway Code states. Undertaking is dangerous as it goes against what is generally held to be the rules of the road and what is expected by other road users. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large it shouldn’t be done, just because you think it should.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I didn’t make any inferences other that state what the Highway Code states. Undertaking is dangerous as it goes against what is generally held to be the rules of the road and what is expected by other road users. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large it shouldn’t be done, just because you think it should.
When did I say it should be done “by and large”? Go back and look again.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No spoiler alerts on another thread about a Prarlympic event I was looking forward to watching.
I now know the result. :mad:

Pleased I didn't see it before I watched. That sport is brutal!

Edit - as I watched it live I couldn't have seen the result before I watched - brain fried!