Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One from Saturday. I received a letter advising me that my new (old) car was not compliant with current ULEZ standards for London and should I drive into London I would have to pay a higher rate. Why send this? A/ I live in Northumberland B/ If I want to drive into London (no thanks) I will look it up on the appropriate website

Utter waste of time and money to send this to me, and presumably to lots of others.

Countless people don't check and then moan
Prob a legal requirement to send or can't fine people

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Countless people don't check and then moan
Prob a legal requirement to send or can't fine people
It is not a national scheme though, it only affects London. If Glasgow started one would you send letters to people in Brighton? A good few years ago I skirted the congestion zone, is this the same thing under a new name? Signs were everywhere, it was pretty clear.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is not a national scheme though, it only affects London. If Glasgow started one would you send letters to people in Brighton? A good few years ago I skirted the congestion zone, is this the same thing under a new name? Signs were everywhere, it was pretty clear.

Glasgow is diff country so I wouldn't no

It may only affect London but they don't know who in England will travel to/from

Does seem a waste but will be some stupid law

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a separate irritation, is it the heat?, we are going down to London in a couple of weeks. Train tickets bought, anything to avoid that ULEZ charge huh, and we separately bought a 2 together railcard, wife and I. Train tickets bought via LNER, railcard bought at a later time via a standalone site. The LNER app will not allow us to add the digital railcard to it. When the ticket collector comes along we will then have to open the LNER app for our tickets to be checked, close that, open another app for the railcard to be checked. It is not a big deal but it makes things a little more awkward, slows down the poor old ticketperson as I scramble around my phone. It should be easy, why make it hard?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lol I wouldn't expect to be notified of Newcastle as both my car's ulez compatible ??
PleasingWateryGalah-size_restricted.gif

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a separate irritation, is it the heat?, we are going down to London in a couple of weeks. Train tickets bought, anything to avoid that ULEZ charge huh, and we separately bought a 2 together railcard, wife and I. Train tickets bought via LNER, railcard bought at a later time via a standalone site. The LNER app will not allow us to add the digital railcard to it. When the ticket collector comes along we will then have to open the LNER app for our tickets to be checked, close that, open another app for the railcard to be checked. It is not a big deal but it makes things a little more awkward, slows down the poor old ticketperson as I scramble around my phone. It should be easy, why make it hard?
Same with GWR, seems daft you can't have your both on the same app

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
sold my 4.7yr old BMW M240 a few weeks ago as car peices rallied massively. Just checked WBAC and it would now be worth another £800!!!:cautious::mad:

Did you check or did they email you? I got a quote for my dads 17 year old Honda CRV just to get an idea how much to expect on a trade in. Since then they keep emailing me with improved offers, I’m sure it’s just a tactic to get you to go there so they can chip you down.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you check or did they email you? I got a quote for my dads 17 year old Honda CRV just to get an idea how much to expect on a trade in. Since then they keep emailing me with improved offers, I’m sure it’s just a tactic to get you to go there so they can chip you down.

i have been updating the valuation off the prompt email they send most weeks for past year and have continued post sale just to keep on top of the dynamic in the market. I never get an updated quote from them - just a mail asking if i want an updated valuation that is only a couple of clicks away

Visit site

Can you and the good lady just not do a 2 phone [ticket/railcard] display [look at us...look at us] :)
Or easier still - just print out the tickets and flash your railcard

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not wishing to be alarmist, A, but have you checked the area of the bite in relation to the" Bulls eye" rash of Lymes disease. Etc.
It's worth getting it checked out because the early stages are easily treatable,
Antibiotics.

Actually I did check. The bite has revealed itself as the swelling has gone down and no bullseye.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had brushes with ticks in the Lake District. Once returned from a week away and found one in the shower tray. Mrs A then discovered half a dozen more attached to me in various natural crevices. I won't go into further detail, but I got plenty of advice some time later when I developed a neuro issue which was eventually followed by a negative Lyme test.
I claim no expertise, but was told or learned from my own research that unless it was still attached, you wouldn't normally even know you'd been bitten by a tick unless it infected you and then it takes a few days rather than hours to get the bullseye rash. Lyme disease carrying ticks are restricted to areas with plenty of deer.

Insect bites in the UK are mostly going to be the usual flying, biting suspects. I always carry some of the kiddie strength insect repellant in my golf bag and spray it liberally on legs and arms. And wear long socks, not trainer socks.
If anything breaks through the defences, Anthisan is pretty good and Savlon if it's still angry after a day or so. Cellulitis is a greater danger than Lyme disease with bites.

Not intentionally being a smart arse. I have just been a menu favourite of bitey things for 5 decades.

Thanks. For years I never reacted to bites but nowadays they can be shockers. In fact I was very close to cellulitis a few years back so always keep an eye on things. It has gone down a lot thank goodness but 36 holes in the sun today didn't help!