Random Irritations

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's just classic torygraph clickbait, the sort of stuff it knows it readers will lap up and make angry posts on the Internet about. The reality is It's just students being students.

The fact of taking the picture down and the stated reasons for it are all I needed to know. Funny how the lefties have to reference the source all the time in the belief that it is both "a nasty rag" and a prejudiced article. The annoyance to me were the facts. They are students but the wave of woke hypocrisy that has raged through academia in recent years is shocking. So much so that it has needed government intervention to try and counter the cancel culture in higher education for anyone not worshipping at the woke altar and ensure that free speech has a chance

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The fact of taking the picture down and the stated reasons for it are all I needed to know. Funny how the lefties have to reference the source all the time in the belief that it is both "a nasty rag" and a prejudiced article. The annoyance to me were the facts. They are students but the wave of woke hypocrisy that has raged through academia in recent years is shocking. So much so that it has needed government intervention to try and counter the cancel culture in higher education for anyone not worshipping at the woke altar and ensure that free speech has a chance
Ok so here’s something else to get really irritated about...or not as the case may be. I’m not sure whether it’s sport or politics or both. But hey...it certainly irritates me...and so must be ok to post about it under things that irritate if it’s ok to go on about woke lefties and political correctness ?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/tory-mp-england-football-players-taking-the-knee-nazi-salute/

I will add that what irritates is the absurdity of the comparison - whoever might make it.

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok so here’s something else to get really irritated about...or not as the case may be. I’m not sure whether it’s sport or politics or both. But hey...it certainly irritates me...and so must be ok to post about it under things that irritate if it’s ok to go on about woke lefties and political correctness ?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/tory-mp-england-football-players-taking-the-knee-nazi-salute/

I will add that what irritates is the absurdity of the comparison - whoever might make it.
pretty sure this is nothing that can be debated on heare

pretty sure this is nothing that can be debated on here and not sure what it has to do with "my irritaion" of students cancelling a picture of the queen claiming it represented an unwelcoming symbol of "recent colonial history”. Feel free to have your own iritation or have a view on my irritation if you feel that it is justified and you feel the rationale of said students is good thing. But keep your own "separate" irration threads unlinked to my one rather than use as a snide dig at anything critcal of woke

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Bit like some posters on the Coronavirus thread comparing Covid passports with Jews having to wear Yellow stars? It is irritating but is honestly not worth the effort.

RichA

Visit site
Second near miss in 2 days, cycling to the station, either of which would probably have been life threatening. For the first time I'm thinking of retiring the road bike and stomaching the 2 mile walk for the sake of not ending up on some idiot's windscreen.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Their college, they get to choose and they had a vote.
They haven't forced you to take your portrait of the Queen down though, have they?

Exactly. It's a picture in their common room. Total non-story, yet it's front page news for the Mail and the Express.

and to think some say it's the woke lefties who are permanently offended :D

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly. It's a picture in their common room. Total non-story, yet it's front page news for the Mail and the Express.

and to think some say it's the woke lefties who are permanently offended :D

must be a non story as it was not reported in the Guradian. I agree the students can choose how to decorate their room. The "irritation" was their pitiful excuse for the removing the picture.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
must be a non story as it was not reported in the Guradian. I agree the students can choose how to decorate their room. The "irritation" was their pitiful excuse for the removing the picture.

maybe it was last week's revelation that there was a policy of not employing non-whites at Buckingham Palace in the 60s and 70s that pushed them over the edge?

RichA

Visit site
It's slightly strange that portraits of the head of state are still a thing.
In the old spy and war films that I grew up watching, imagery of portraits of the generalissimo was always used to signify a tin pot dictatorship. Not intending to fan any flames - just saying it's interesting that we still have them in places.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
maybe it was last week's revelation that there was a policy of not employing non-whites at Buckingham Palace in the 60s and 70s that pushed them over the edge?

not what it said was the reason. As mentioned, the reason was the Queen's link to a colonial past and yet another example of entitled, opinionated woke youth marching forward to try and cancel anything in history they do not like.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
not what it said was the reason. As mentioned, the reason was the Queen's link to a colonial past and yet another example of entitled, opinionated woke youth marching forward to try and cancel anything in history they do not like.

Still, one thing in its favour - no need to do history at school any more?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

It was a joke.

I'd love to see some stats on how often you use "woke" and "cancel" in your posts. The % must be thru the roof :D

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Your head’s going to explode when you find out she’s basically German...