Random Irritations

RichA

Visit site
The data for sexual and other types of assault is more heavily skewed against females. Did Andrew Neil post that?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course people have different levels, nobody said any different.

But what we should do is be aware and at least try and respect someone else’s point of view.

What you effectively have done in the laughter thread is said you apologise if you’ve offended anyone, but I’m not going to change so those offended are going to have to live with it! Sort of makes your apology worthless when it means nothing.

Just curious. Would you respect a racists point of view? Or a misogynist, or a holocaust denier?

D

Deleted member 25172

The Damn Fine Coats. I don't think most people consider that swearing in this day and age?? But if they stand by it and make us change it I'm not sure what to do.

Someone might’ve been offended? ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 16999

Just curious. Would you respect a racists point of view? Or a misogynist, or a holocaust denier?
On the same token, if a racist, misogynist or holocaust denier apologies for offending you, is it ok for them to keep repeating that point of view.

Good effort on taking it to the extremes again.:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 16999

Apologies for the slight hissy but start a new thread if people want to debate a subject. A bit of chat is fine, guilty as charged, but when it drags on it starts to hijack this thread. The debate is interesting, worthy of its own thread. Just not here.
Maybe people should recognise the thread title and not go on at posters, I didn’t feel it needed its own thread as it was initially no more than a random irritation, but I reserve the right to defend myself.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Correct. Points of view are opinions. Mostly, opinions are facts which are not known or not provable. But they may also just be neither, - just what someone thinks. some are inconsequential, some are dangerous.
Tolerance is allowing someone to have an opinion, with which you may agree or not.
Intolerance is not allowing that opinion to be held, and if it is so held, making some kind of sanction against the holder.
However, when an opinion is acted upon, how that is managed or dealt with , is a whole different ball game.

It is not intolerant or a fault of some kind, to believe that an opinion held by someone else ,is wrong.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the same token, if a racist, misogynist or holocaust denier apologies for offending you, is it ok for them to keep repeating that point of view.

Good effort on taking it to the extremes again.:rolleyes:

There's no extreme here. They are all views as sadly commonly held as "all men are responsible for the bad ones/are enablers".
Whether they apologise or not, your "respect their view" applies none the less.

Personally, I respect the right of someone to have an opinion. I do not have to respect said opinion or view at all. But I do respect that they have a right to it.

Its a common theme on here that people are accused of "taking exteremes" when when the originally expressed view can be considered extreme in itself.

But as its your view, you won't see it like that. Only that opposing views that discount your view must be extreme.

Funny how the human brain works, huh?

D

Deleted member 16999

There's no extreme here. They are all views as sadly commonly held as "all men are responsible for the bad ones/are enablers".
Whether they apologise or not, your "respect their view" applies none the less.

Personally, I respect the right of someone to have an opinion. I do not have to respect said opinion or view at all. But I do respect that they have a right to it.

Its a common theme on here that people are accused of "taking exteremes" when when the originally expressed view can be considered extreme in itself.

But as its your view, you won't see it like that. Only that opposing views that discount your view must be extreme.

Funny how the human brain works, huh?
And if anyone had actually asked me to clarify what I meant rather than attack, get personal and then describe me as woke and greatly offended I would of.

I’m not stupid or naive enough to believe every man is a murderer or an abuser, what I posted was taken as I believe the opposite. And just like others on here, I am guilty of playing the poster and not the post.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Correct. Points of view are opinions. Mostly, opinions are facts which are not known or not provable. But they may also just be neither, - just what someone thinks. some are inconsequential, some are dangerous.
Tolerance is allowing someone to have an opinion, with which you may agree or not.
Intolerance is not allowing that opinion to be held, and if it is so held, making some kind of sanction against the holder.
However, when an opinion is acted upon, how that is managed or dealt with , is a whole different ball game.

It is not intolerant or a fault of some kind, to believe that an opinion held by someone else ,is wrong.

As I said in my response to the poster, I believe in respecting the right to an opinion or view, not necessarily the view or opinion itself.

I won't ever tell someone that their opinion is invalid or wrong, just that I don't agree with it and will counter with reasoned argument.

To say (not you, the poster) that any of the above are extreme views would be to say that Racists, Misogynists and deniers of the holocaust are rare things. Sadly, we know this not to be true.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Fed Ex delivery driver. The balls I ordered earlier in the week, our for delivery today.Emails and messages have been great keeping me upto date with their progress. Somehow, with both the wife and I at home today we "missed" the delivery. Go to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and there a "sorry we missed you" card, he/she (insert self identification here) must have the softest door knock for neither of us to hear it.

Fortunately helpful neighbour stopped him as he was driving away and signed for the package and then dropped it off.