Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
At very long last I got it but c'mon 9 months for British airways to refund the flights they cancelled!

Given the time that has passed I can't bring myself to treat this as 'things that gladden the heart' They have shown that when push comes to shove they are no different to Ryanair (they just charge more)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actors on tv shows who buy a takeaway coffee or hand one to a colleague. Not only do they take a big swig straight away, it would burn your mouth off, but they tip the cup to a 90° angle. The cup would be full, you wouldn't tip it that far. If you are going to use a prop, use it properly.

I've seen a few do this recently and I think it fits this thread nicely :D.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actors on tv shows who buy a takeaway coffee or hand one to a colleague. Not only do they take a big swig straight away, it would burn your mouth off, but they tip the cup to a 90° angle. The cup would be full, you wouldn't tip it that far. If you are going to use a prop, use it properly.

I've seen a few do this recently and I think it fits this thread nicely :D.
You've just reminded me of another TV/movie faux pas that annoyed me last night. It happens so frequently as well. Someone is sneaking around and trying to hack into their rival's laptop. They have two or maybe three guesses at what the password is, and hey presto, they're in! The password is always some meaningful thing to that character, like their secret daughter's name or some nonsense. Just all lower case with no numbers or anything. Who the hell has passwords like that! It drives me mad and it happens so often. So stupid.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having a new fence erected today... Booked weeks back...
Think it's going to get quite a test on day one...
Fencer has, sensibly, turned off his 'phone so he can complete todays job...

Lad has just posted a picture of his trampoline in the farmers field adjacent to his place...

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
still not had my cycling Gillet, they are now saying as the UK have had a fresh outbreak of CV19 and is now in tier 5 it will take longer

I'm waiting on a fridge part from Australia. It's been sat at Sydney airport since Sunday. Who knows when it might end up in a plane!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm waiting on a fridge part from Australia. It's been sat at Sydney airport since Sunday. Who knows when it might end up in a plane!
It doesn't alleviate the irritation but there are simply not the volume of planes flying now for obvious reasons. Commerce continues but with less capacity to ship. It means longer waits for parcels to catch a flight. Heck of a way for fridge part mind.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You've just reminded me of another TV/movie faux pas that annoyed me last night. It happens so frequently as well. Someone is sneaking around and trying to hack into their rival's laptop. They have two or maybe three guesses at what the password is, and hey presto, they're in! The password is always some meaningful thing to that character, like their secret daughter's name or some nonsense. Just all lower case with no numbers or anything. Who the hell has passwords like that! It drives me mad and it happens so often. So stupid.

One that gets me is the scenes where they are meant to be eating - a meal, snack, whatever.
They play around with it, drink something etc, play around some more, but never eat it. Then off they go to do the next thing.
Ok- so the "food" is pretend food, but they could arrange the scene to depict that shows they've just finished the meal.
Make things as realistic as possible, and have some respect for the value of food.
"Touch of Frost" is the big offender. How many times are they in the canteen, and Frost watches his sergeant , or whoever, sit down to eat then, says,
."Come on, we're off to do.... this or that " making him leave the meal.
If that were me, it would be "hang on, I've paid for this. Be with you in five-ten minutes"
TV directors..."....?..

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
One that gets me is the scenes where they are meant to be eating - a meal, snack, whatever.
They play around with it, drink something etc, play around some more, but never eat it. Then off they go to do the next thing.
Ok- so the "food" is pretend food, but they could arrange the scene to depict that shows they've just finished the meal.
Make things as realistic as possible, and have some respect for the value of food.
"Touch of Frost" is the big offender. How many times are they in the canteen, and Frost watches his sergeant , or whoever, sit down to eat then, says,
If that were me, it would be "hang on, I've paid for this. Be with you in five-ten minutes"
TV directors..."....?..
One of the best actors for acting while eating a meal is David Jason, especially in Only Fools and Horses, he could demolish a whole meal while acting out a scene, just brilliant

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
TV directors..."....?..
So true. No one ever has their breakfast, especially. One bite out of the toast and dump the rest. I don't know if it's just me but food comes first - always!

Mandofred

Visit site
Do they clear the mess up?
Not my neighbours. On days like this my wife and I pick a few things up and either put it in with our stuff or back into their pile. The one neighbour I'm mostly talking about doesn't talk to us....so there is no point in asking them to do a better job.... Lots of paper/plastic around the roads this morning....it isn't just our neighbour who doesn't think things through, but the neighbour just lets bits of trash sit in their lawn etc.....it just doesn't occur to them that they are probably making a few neighbours pretty unhappy.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know I should be able to work out the intersection of two hipped roofs - the roof of a side extension onto and into the main roof of the house. I trained for 4 years to be an architect for pity's sake... But blow me - I can't sort it out...:( I think I need a freebie on-line architectural CAD package, still got my T-square; variable set squares; compasses; scale rule (and Rotring pens) - but the drawing board went yonks ago.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Loose piece of downpipe was blown off the wall last night...

I did ask the builder who fixed it (poorly) to come back to re-secure it some time ago - but he hasn't. As soon as I mention more significant build work possibly coming his way I expect to find a ladder against the house pretty pronto.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fisher and Paykel?

No, it's for a Samsung annoyingly. Long story short, our old neighbor moved there. set up home, got divorced, and came home 6 months later. Not being bitter, she shipped back everything she paid for. No room for this massive fridge on her return, she sold it to me for 100 quid! Not bad for a 2k fridge!!

Awesome, until the main control PCB has a fault I can't fix and I need a new one...