Random Irritations

Mandofred

Visit site
We have put a blocker on our landline - only numbers we register with the provider will get through - all others are blocked and the caller has to leave a message and is put on hold. Our phone rings and we hear the message - we choose whether to pick up or not. Had this a couple of months and so far not a single cold caller has bothered leaving a message and computer generated calls obviously don't either.
We haven't had a landline since moving back to the UK 6 years ago. Neither of us get many calls, but I get almost nothing....I've always been hesitant about giving places my number since they seem to spread like a virus (ouch) to other people/companies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We haven't had a landline since moving back to the UK 6 years ago. Neither of us get many calls, but I get almost nothing....I've always been hesitant about giving places my number since they seem to spread like a virus (ouch) to other people/companies.
We have only kept our landline as my MiL doesn't fully get that she can call us on our mobiles from her landline - instead she insists on calling our landline number. So we have changed to pay-as-you-go for outbound calls (and we don't do outbound landline calls) whilst accepting only a very small number of inbound calls from the numbers we identify.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have put a blocker on our landline - only numbers we register with the provider will get through - all others are blocked and the caller has to leave a message and is put on hold. Our phone rings and we hear the message - we choose whether to pick up or not. Had this a couple of months and so far not a single cold caller has bothered leaving a message and computer generated calls obviously don't either.
We have this as well. Brilliant option and has cut the rubbish out completely. If anyone is getting ground down by these calls I'd highly recommend contacting your provider and seeing if they offer this. Even if you have to pay a few quid a month it's worth it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have this as well. Brilliant option and has cut the rubbish out completely. If anyone is getting ground down by these calls I'd highly recommend contacting your provider and seeing if they offer this. Even if you have to pay a few quid a month it's worth it.

I find turning the ringer off worked wonders

Only 2 people ring it anyways

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got offered a job, they sent the offer through ... offer was just over half my current rate. And they asked me what I was on!?!
I will just check whether it was a 20 hr week

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Email from Royal Mail telling me I missed a delivery just before 8am this morning.

Curious - we were up and about and not expecting anything - Warning bell rings. Unlikely looking email address - Warning bell rings again - then spotted request to pay £3 to have delivery rescheduled - clarion of bells. Ignored reschedule link - but clicked on the Welsh language link (shouldn't really have done that) - nothing - a dummy link. Confirmed. Spam Email. Looked very genuine until I looked again.

Royal Mail has been sending out warnings of this scam for a few weeks?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My manager is aware of the issued and reaffirmed our position that I shouldn't be doing work on the old project. Basically there is a consultant for the old project who is supposed to support the document controller in charge there (my successor) but he is not interested at all, and expects me to do it for some reason. Which won't be happening! :LOL:

He is hoping for more billable hours;);)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Complains on twitter that a photo of Oprah being compared to Ian wright wearing a wig being racist

Yet a picture of piers Morgan looking like the bird lady from home alone 2 isn't racist

Either both are racist or neither are surely

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The bit I clearly missed from the rules that said that not only are kids back at school but they are released from all lockdown and social distancing restrictions. Park, high street and skate park full of kids after work today

Leftitshort

Visit site
Complains on twitter that a photo of Oprah being compared to Ian wright wearing a wig being racist

Yet a picture of piers Morgan looking like the bird lady from home alone 2 isn't racist

Context is everything. It shouldn’t be but it’s an angle for someone

sunshine

Visit site

The problem is that the photo looks nothing like Ian Wright. If you believe it does, either you need to visit an optician, or you are potentially displaying an unconscious bias that black people look the same.

I wouldn’t describe it as racist, but rather racially insensitive. These types of micro aggressions appear petty, but a constant stream of them throughout daily life builds up and has an impact.

sunshine

Visit site
Ok. So Ian Wright looks like Oprah Winfrey without a wig.
Better?

Not really. The shape of their faces is completely different. It’s just a really poor meme and I think just lazy how it’s so popular.

I saw a photoshop of Ian Wright as Oprah today, a good reaction. I found it quite funny because it showed how preposterous the original meme is.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Recycling tomorrow, already dragged the bin out but took some stuff out before bed.
Noticed an Amazon box by our bin with one of our loose bricks that reside near our bins inside. Strange. Removed brick, checked for a label. No label.
Got a notification just before midnight of some motion from the camera so checked it.
Lad across the road done it.
He knows I have a camera.

Why not put it in my bin, why next to it?
Why not put it in either of his bins? Can’t be full surely, he lives alone.

What is this unearthly behaviour?

I need to get up early now to have a look in his bins for an answer without embarrassing the youth.

Nice of him to weigh it down with a brick to ensure it doesn’t blow away though. ?