Random Irritations

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Really? I never realised that, and find it a surprise when it’s a sporting event being broadcast and the broadcaster has no control at all over the participants.

It’s a funny old game.

Yes, like you on the face of it, it does seem "ritual", whatever the occasion of broadcasting. I did wonder though, why it was so, and Imurg does seem to be posting with some authority on this ( as opposed to just an opinion) .
In this day of lawyers etc, I can see , someone, somewhere has come up with the rationale of " if you don't condemn it, you condone it, and then you might be said to encourage it"?.
Or maybe it's just become a habit of commentators?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
House of Fraser and their lying sale. Karrimor jacket for £50, and it says they've reduced it from £500. 500 quid for a Karrimor jacket?? You're having a laugh. They have never sold it for that. No chance.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
'Umpire's call' in cricket.
LBW, the ball would have hit the stumps ............................ 'Not Out'.
this one baffles me too.
surely if its been shown to be hitting the stumps then its out
It allows for a margin of error. It accepts that technology is not perfect and factors that in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
House of Fraser and their lying sale. Karrimor jacket for £50, and it says they've reduced it from £500. 500 quid for a Karrimor jacket?? You're having a laugh. They have never sold it for that. No chance.
I've always had an image of a warehouse on a remote Scottish island that holds stock from a range of shops like this at stupid prices. There is no intention that it will ever be sold there but it meets the requirement to have been priced at that level at some point.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've always had an image of a warehouse on a remote Scottish island that holds stock from a range of shops like this at stupid prices. There is no intention that it will ever be sold there but it meets the requirement to have been priced at that level at some point.
didn't flashley buy it , thats how the opperate, stick silly prices on everything then discount to the actual cost

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah they're the same as DFS. "We listed this sofa at 5 grand for one day, now it can be yours for just 799!"

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
didn't flashley buy it , thats how the opperate, stick silly prices on everything then discount to the actual cost
Absolutely but legally it does have to have been on sale at some stage at the daft price.

H of F is just a poor concession shop now. The one at the Metro Centre in Newcastle used to be a prestige dept store but now it is a sad shadow of itself.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Absolutely but legally it does have to have been on sale at some stage at the daft price.

H of F is just a poor concession shop now. The one at the Metro Centre in Newcastle used to be a prestige dept store but now it is a sad shadow of itself.

you should see what he's done to Lillywhite's in London

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Been looking for a new coat. They still sell some good brands, most of which are 'reduced' at the moment. But it's hard to tell which brands are still good and which ones have been bought out and reduced to cheap rubbish (like Fat Mike has done with Firetrap, Jack Wills, Karrimor, Slazenger etc). I thought Lyle & Scott was alright, but some of their stuff is so cheap now that I have doubts. Barbour heavily reduced as well. Hmmm.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been looking for a new coat. They still sell some good brands, most of which are 'reduced' at the moment. But it's hard to tell which brands are still good and which ones have been bought out and reduced to cheap rubbish (like Fat Mike has done with Firetrap, Jack Wills, Karrimor, Slazenger etc). I thought Lyle & Scott was alright, but some of their stuff is so cheap now that I have doubts. Barbour heavily reduced as well. Hmmm.
Barbour is still a family owned company, factory in South Shields (sadly also some in the Far East). Ashley definitely does not have hold of it. If you fancy one and the price is low then go for it. It could well be a last season coat and they want to clear the decks. I used to work 50 metres from their factory and once a year they would do a warehouse sale to shift excess stock. Bargain central!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Lyle and Scott still definitely independent. Heavily favoured by chavs and Fiesta drivers but independent none-the-less.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yeah they're the same as DFS. "We listed this sofa at 5 grand for one day, now it can be yours for just 799!"
Don't know if it is still the case but the only store where DFS offered their goods at "full" price was an outlet at their factory in the Peak District.

Most people didn't even know that it was there.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No, you really shouldn't. Those of us who remember Lillywhite's as it used to be should treasure that memory & not go near the current shambles.

i used to spend hours in there when i was younger and remember seeing and falling in love with a set of Mizuno blades that were kept in a glass cabinet, then they had the Wilson Killer Whale driver out on show.

i bought all my cricket gear in there as they could get anything you wanted.

now you can buy Lonsdale trainers and Dunlop socks in there

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
you should see what he's done to Lillywhite's in London
i was going to mention that... usued to go in there as a kid and my father always took us there to get Cricket stuff. last time i was down playing Cricket for my mates team in London, i had forgotten the metal spikes for my shoes and had taken them out to play on an Artif pitch up here so my mate and i trotted off there to there .... what a shock, full of crap and the only cricket stuff they had was thousands of Pakistan ODI shirts

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
i used to spend hours in there when i was younger and remember seeing and falling in love with a set of Mizuno blades that were kept in a glass cabinet, then they had the Wilson Killer Whale driver out on show.

Ditto, spent hours in there just wandering around looking at stuff. Bought my first (and only) Sergio Tacchini tracksuit in there in the early 80s, then got a bus to a shop in the Angel to buy a cement colour pair of Kicker boots.....Very Casual! ?

sunshine

Visit site

Lilywhite's has been an Ashley shop for ages now (since 2002 according to wikipedia).

There was a time when the ground floor was a Lonsdale / Slazenger jumble sale, but if you went to the upper floors there was still a decent range of gear for different sports. I even bought a set of TM irons there. But I think those days are long gone now.

sunshine

Visit site
this one baffles me too.
surely if its been shown to be hitting the stumps then its out

No it hasn't been shown to be hitting the stumps.

Where the ball pitched, or if impact was in line with the stumps, is a fact that can be measured. Whether it was going to hit the wicket is an educated guess (using sophisticated ballistics software). The reality is that hawkeye is just an extrapolation.