Random ball

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Hit a ball into some pretty deep rough, which was on the edge of a bank going away from me.

Found my ball, identified it without having to move or lift, then proceeded to hack it out. It came out about 20ft, but another ball popped out as well and went the same distance, I clearly felt my club hit this other ball and mine. Any penalty? I can only find rules regarding hitting wrong ball, not two simultaneously

G

guest100718

Hit a ball into some pretty deep rough, which was on the edge of a bank going away from me.

Found my ball, identified it without having to move or lift, then proceeded to hack it out. It came out about 20ft, but another ball popped out as well and went the same distance, I clearly felt my club hit this other ball and mine. Any penalty? I can only find rules regarding hitting wrong ball, not two simultaneously
No penalty
play on with your ball as it lies

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
So there was another ball inches from yours and the rough was that thick you didn't even see it?? Blimey.

I was as shocked as you. The rough was on the side of a steep bank which sloped away from me, so I didn't want to go poking around and risk moving the ball as well, and it was sat quite visible within the rough anyway (my ball). But yeh, i guess it was so thick I didn't see the other ball, not that i was looking anyway.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So there was another ball inches from yours and the rough was that thick you didn't even see it?? Blimey.

I recall this happened to Nick Faldo in an Open. Unfortunately both balls were the same make and number and had not been marked. Resulted in a lost ball penalty.

Moral of the story - mark your ball.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
15/2 Player's Stroke at Own Ball Dislodges Concealed Ball

Q.A player plays a stroke with his own ball in the rough and also hits an old abandoned ball which was hidden beneath his ball. Since he struck the hidden ball, did he play a wrong ball?

A.No. The player played a stroke with his own ball, not with the hidden ball. Since he did not play a stroke with the hidden ball, Rule 15-3 is not applicable. The player must play his ball as it lies.