R1, R11 or SLDR?

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As above chaps, I've currently got a RBZ 10.5 driver but my golf pro has said I need a 9.5 ideally as I'm lofting the ball a bit too much. My friend will have my old one off me so I'm looking for a newer one.

Of the above 3 which would you choose? I'm going to buy second hand (as always) and my local golf shop have a second hand R11 in that I'm going to have a hit with later today. Doing a bit of research though, I'm seeing lots of people say they favour the R1 over the R11.
Again doing a bit of research I'm reading that lots of people really rate the new SLDR, I could probably stretch my budget to a second hand one. Would I be better off doing this?

So which would you get and why?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
SLDR is a beast. I got the same loft I had in my old driver and it goes much lower and has a more penetrating flight.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It must come down to what fits your game best really rather than opinions here I guess. I've just been through a fitting exercise and really rate the process.

I've always bought used clubs and in hindsight, wish I'd thought to have a chat with the pro along the lines of "I'm not looking to buy new, but would like to buy right, therefore, can I pay for a fitting so I will have a good idea of what I'm after on the used market". That way, I would feel ok with myself that I was not taking the Mickey / loosing good-will with the pro, but would have 100% confidence that what I bid for on ebay etc would do the job. Not sure how AG etc would react but perhaps (rightly or wrongly) an element of 'tyre kicking' is expected so may not feel so bad, esp as SLDR is a current club.

My 2c anyway.......

Happy shopping,

Simon

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
H'mm.

Are you sure that's what your Pro said? Was it in response to a specific question?

There's a difference between a Pro un-promptedly coming out and saying 'I think you need a 9.5* rather than this 10.5* one' and replying to the question 'I fancy a new, 2nd hand, Driver. Is there anything different from this one that you'd recommend'.

In the first instance, I'd look for a new Pro! In the second, he may be helping you.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
do you like your current driver?

remember loft is your friend, so if you like it a shaft change would be a better option to lower the flight.

SLDR is far too expensive and nothing special imo. R1 makes a horrible sound (for me) but the adjustability is fantastic and one of the best I've come across, face and loft and lie all can be set independently to suit.....and its come way down in price

D

Deleted member 15344

R11 was a cracking driver.

Just got a SLDR so will have had all three

The R11 a better driver than the R1

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The shaft is the key. I have an RBZ with a standard shaft & it's OK. I managed to find an RBZ Ozik HD6 shaft and it's a different club, low spinning penetrating flight. My current SLDR is the same, too high flying with the standard shaft but phenomenally good with the Black Tie. The head's not that important, especially if it's adjustable. Get a good shaft with what money you've got. In my experience there's little in it between the R11, RBZ & SLDR with the same shaft.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The SLDR is the better club of the three you mention, providing it's fitted, you need the right loft, given the way it's made for an average club players swing speed it'll need to be at least 10.5 to get optimum flight & distance.

Shafts are for fine tuning only, any shaft only has the ability to change spin rate up to 500 rpms maximum, period.

A centered hit makes the biggest difference in keeping the spin rate down to an acceptable level, along with a shallower swing path with a plus AoA, level path with a driver at worst. Every minus degree of AoA loses you around 7 yards of carry.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why would you want to go down in loft? Irrespective of the TM "Loft Up" it has been said in mags for several years that most club golfers would benefit from more loft not less. I'd be wanting a fuller explanation from the pro about the benefits and pitfalls before parting with any cash

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Shafts are for fine tuning only, any shaft only has the ability to change spin rate up to 500 rpms maximum, period./QUOTE]

Surprised to hear you say that. I've done a lot of trial & error with shafts & heads & while the shaft may not have a big effect on spin it seems to me to have a huge effect on launch angle, much more so than the loft of the driver.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shafts are for fine tuning only, any shaft only has the ability to change spin rate up to 500 rpms maximum, period./QUOTE]

Surprised to hear you say that. I've done a lot of trial & error with shafts & heads & while the shaft may not have a big effect on spin it seems to me to have a huge effect on launch angle, much more so than the loft of the driver.

Most folks think shafts have more say in being able to reduce spin rates by a large degree, truth is that's definitely not so, no matter how expensive or exotic, they can only do some very fine tuning.

The flex, to the extent of Xstiff to Reg to Ultra Flex & where a kick point is of a shaft and how it's delivered through the strike will impact launch angles by a few some degrees, but have a much lesser effect on change of the spin rate.

Swing speed will effect spin rate depending on what angle it's delivered to & through. Three swings of the same 110mph, one with a steep -7 AoA will not only produce pretty high spin rate but decrease available overall distance from that swing speed by some 50 yards, 0 level through the ball will reduce spin rate considerably therefore the ball will go further, +AoA of 3 to5 will give you optimum spin rate & LA & optimum distance, given all three strikes being centered from sweet spot.

Biggest effect by far on spin rate is where on the face the balls struck.

Biggest influence on launch angle is shaft plane & swing path & the AoA, plus most importantly where on the face the ball is struck.