R. I. P. Judith Durham

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Always a joy to me to hear her voice over the years.

"The Carnival Is Over" was adapted by Tom Springfileld (Dionysius O'Brien) brother of Dusty Springfield (Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien) from a 19th century Russian folk song.

RRidges

Visit site
Sad to hear. Seekers, and Durham in particular, were Aussie icons and, along with a few others, are an essential part of Aussie-ness.
I shall have the last of my jar of Vegemite in remembrance!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Such an early memory I have of The Seekers was my mum commenting on her lovely voice - and of course for all of us of a certain age there was Morningtown Ride…iconic pop music of the mid to late 60s holding to traditional folk roots as beat music and pop exploded with creativity.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
She was gorgeous and so talented. I always thought she was fantastic in this video:

As a 9/10 yr old I was rather mesmerised by her…probably the first star i had a crush on…though I also probably didn’t know that’s what it was ?

Anyway…for those of us for whom Judith Durham and the songs of The Seekers are more than just a distant memory of a time past…check out The World of The Seekers (1968 TV Special) on YouTube…

…I tried to post the link but it wasn't having it.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I had a 1hr 45min drive to near Bury St Edmonds in May this year for a vintage game.

I took a 24 track CD of the Seekers and a double CD of Roy Orbison for the trip.

Played the Seekers one on the way back as well.

Judith Durham studied music academically. She was a classical pianist. She could play very good jazz piano as well.
She fell into the Seekers group almost by accident. She had an office job and a colleague found out she was a musician and asked her to come and see his folk group perform.
Worked out fairly well for her, though.
And us, by all accounts.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a 1hr 45min drive to near Bury St Edmonds in May this year for a vintage game.

I took a 24 track CD of the Seekers and a double CD of Roy Orbison for the trip.

Played the Seekers one on the way back as well.

Judith Durham studied music academically. Should was a classical pianist. She could play very good jazz piano as well.
She fell into the Seekers group almost by accident. She had an office job and a colleague found out she was a musician and asked her to come and see his folk group perform.
Worked out fairly well for her, though.
And us, by all accounts.
Indeed. In the TV special I mention she is seen playing the piano and singing jazz…a very versatile lady. Btw - much of it is rather corny re-enactment…but it’s fun.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Or possibly a bit older and preferred the blonde that was ONJ. Used to see her on Cliff Richard's show mmmmmmm
Indeed, though maybe it was because JD disappeared almost as quickly as she appeared…she only sang in The Seekers in the UK for four short years before going solo and as she didn’t have solo Top 40 hits she disappeared from ToTP. As a result we who admired her from afar never saw her age or change styles. She was and always will be the JD of 1964-1968.

Now ONJ…a quite different kettle of fish on the pop visibility, style, image and longevity front.