Qualifying rounds

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
Just joining a club and need to play 3 qualifiers before playing board comps. The club only have1 in the month of June, can you count general rounds as qualifiers.
Thanks

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just joining a club and need to play 3 qualifiers before playing board comps. The club only have1 in the month of June, can you count general rounds as qualifiers.
Thanks

You'll need to check with your club to see if general play rounds count towards your "three required" or if they have to be competition rounds, as this is a club imposed condition and is outside of the WHS and rules of golf.

D

Deleted member 3432

Comps a comp surely?

Clubs need to stop being too precious about who is allowed to play in comps especially if they don't have many.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When putting in a card (general play or competition) it will need a marker (usually another member with a handicap) and don’t forget to write in the marker’s name and to sign the card. As mentioned above you will need to register the round before heading out.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OP - are you sure this is correct, or is it 3 cards for your handicap? If it is the latter then general play cards will suffice, subject to conditions mentioned before.

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
I already have a handicap from my previous club, my new club only have 1 comp in June and the club champs early in July, so my aim is to qualify for these.

D

Deleted member 3432

I already have a handicap from my previous club, my new club only have 1 comp in June and the club champs early in July, so my aim is to qualify for these.

The expect you to have played a certain amount of qualifiers yet don't have any qualifying comps?

Bang some general play cards in and then they can't not let you play surely....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks
Does the club specify over how many holes must be played? 3 x 18 or 3 x 9 or 54 holes in any combination.

D

Deleted member 15344

This appears to be what used to be the standard new members must play in three other comps before being allowed entry into board comps - put in place by clubs to stop newbies winning board comps , no idea why they did it ( well I do and it’s down to snobbery and distrust of new members and their HC’s ) but I removed it from our comp rules the minute I could .
The ladies have it still in place - you can only play in their club champs if you play in 5 of the 10 gold medals - they are all in school terms and it’s to stop the youngsters winning -

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a rule that you have to have 3 qualifying rounds posted within the previous 12 months at the club and they can be general play rounds that adhere to the rules.
Some clubs may require you to have played in 3 competitions before being allowed into big comps.
It's down to the individual club.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a rule that you have to have 3 qualifying rounds posted within the previous 12 months at the club and they can be general play rounds that adhere to the rules.
Some clubs may require you to have played in 3 competitions before being allowed into big comps.
It's down to the individual club.
How is a "qualifying round" defined in your club's rule?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need to register, usually with the pro, before playing & there's normally a fee of £1 to pay. You must return the score, whether you like it or not.
I think the fee is a thing of the past, clubs have no real reason to be charging for casual rounds. We stopped this over three years ago (it was introduced to try and get members to enter comps) and I don’t know of any club in our county that now carry’s out the practice.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm playing next Tuesday in a casual round so will ask in the pro shop before I go out.
One qualifying card handed in so far, and I'm desperate to activate my lapsed handicap.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
How long is it since you were a club member with a CONGU handicap, Rob?

If it's no longer than 2 or 3 years, EG should be able to resurrect your original CDH number and playing record. I don't think there is such a thing as a lapsed handicap any longer.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How long is it since you were a club member with a CONGU handicap, Rob?

About 3 years or so Jim. The club have looked into it, definitely inactive mate. Hence the 3 cards required.
They found my record on the "old" system but it hadn't been loaded on to the new WHS system mate. Now that those records are defunct, they said the only way was to hand the cards in.
I have emailed the secretary to ask if I can hand "casual" game cards in if I declare my intentions in the pro shop before I go out. I'll let you know what she says........

Last edited: