Putting...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Iv been struggling since my leg injury with my putting....Iv lost count of the amount of people that have told me its usually the short game that suffers when you have a lay off......

Im wondering whether there is a right and a wrong way to put....

My lag putting isnt bad...I struggle a little from say 20 ft with the distance control at times...Not all the time...
Also i have a tendency to sole the putter at address...A habit i cant seem to shake....It can at times hamper me making a decent stroke.....But if i try and hover it then it wobbles all over the place in the back swing.....

Tonight i tried taking a wider stance than normal a little outside shoulder width as opposed to having the feet under my hips....
I was more bent over at the waist and felt like i had to tuck my elbows into my sides in the stroke.....
It seemed to get the putter on more of a straight back straight through swing...At least it felt like that...I wasnt missing putts to the left and the ball rolled a little better but it felt very mechanical and unnatural....

Iv read somewhere that the right elbow should be tucked into the side in the swing....Is this right?

I have an Odyssey 2 ball Mallet if its of any help...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Putting is such an individual thing that's its impossible to suggest a certain way that would suit everyone.

To me there are a few things that help. The main one is to stop too many mechanical thoughts when putting. If I take in as much information as I can on the distance, break, slope etc and just let my brain absorb it. When I make the putt I don't consciously think of any of these things, I let my subconscious mind deal with it. I do have a putting routine that I follow that governs the way I setup, set the ball, keep focused on a certain spot on the ball etc but I do keep my mind quiet as I strike the ball. On shorter putts I like to keep the hole in my spherical vision while looking at the ball, this helps me with pace.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've tried this type of stance recently along with bobs advice of widening for longer putts and narrower for shorter. Keeping the right arm in I find helps on 10' and in but on the longer ones I don't get close enough, which is my biggest problem. Good line just not the legs to get in the hole or sometimes anywhere near!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
putting is my nemesis, not masses of 3 putts but not making birdie or par putts from 15ft and in. Ok at my level I know I am not going to make many but its annoying as hell when creating opportunities then letting them slip through poor technique or judgement.

May well try a mallet for a while and see if it helps. AG tomoz to try a few :)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
putting is my nemesis, not masses of 3 putts but not making birdie or par putts from 15ft and in. Ok at my level I know I am not going to make many but its annoying as hell when creating opportunities then letting them slip through poor technique or judgement.

May well try a mallet for a while and see if it helps. AG tomoz to try a few :)

G1bbo....
If you can get your hands on a Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider try one...There is serious roll off them and they are neat hell behind the ball...Nowhere near as big as the original or the new white ones.....They have a metal face which makes them great for distance control too...And you'll be confident at the shorter ones...try it with the double bend neck if you can....They are a few years old now so id say they could be had handy enough......

Either that or a 2 ball.:thup:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah I find the ping (blade type) a bit iffy, had a 2 ball belly (I know, I know) and it was deadly for 10ft and in but crap for lag putting

Scouring ebay now.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
putting is my nemesis, not masses of 3 putts but not making birdie or par putts from 15ft and in

The pros only make 50% of putts from 6ft 7inches........

You need to get a grip man!!! ;)

(I've witnessed your putting first hand and it seemed pretty good to me!)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah but when you miss every one after having half a dozen or so chances then it can get a bit demoralising.

Why can I make them when its for a bogey or double for 1 point :(

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That's just mind games because maybe you're scared of the putt back should you miss?

Any putt downhill from 10ft you should be thinking about pace and play as much break as required.. or more... any putt uphill you should be thinking about line... take a bit of break out, and hit it firm. It's the level putts that throw me ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
While I agree there are lots of ways you can putt, it's no coincidence that the best putters in the world use the same method.

Their lower half doesn't move
Their wrists dont hinge
Their arms are relaxed and hang naturally from the shoulders
Their elbows stay tucked into the sides of their body throughout the stroke.

[video=youtube;nF6tQkgE_zA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF6tQkgE_zA&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=7&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;5KCqWRjGWYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCqWRjGWYM&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=6&feature=plcp[/video]

The length of the stroke dictates how far the ball goes, keeping the tempo the same for all putts

Last edited:
S

Snelly

There is only one tip that can work over the forum for putting and that is that you must see the club hit the ball. Seems obvious and your reaction will be that you do but you probably don't. not to the extent that is required.

See the putter strike and keep looking where the ball was whilst you listen for it dropping in the hole.

This will help. You will hole more putts. It is the only tip that I ever give as it is the only one that is likely to deliver an improvement.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yeah I find the ping (blade type) a bit iffy, had a 2 ball belly (I know, I know) and it was deadly for 10ft and in but crap for lag putting

Scouring ebay now.

I thought your putting was far above the level of a 20's hc when we played, but if you're determined to have a go with a mallet I have 2 Odyssey #7's if you want to try one?

I have a White Hot XG, and a Metal-X.

I could be persuaded to part with the Metal-X as I didn't get on great with it, but not the XG.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
see, these impulse buys Gary... not good for you.

what was up with the metal x compared to the XG? My 2 ball belly was the XG and whilst great for shorter putts it was crap for long/lag putts

I do putt ok on other courses but at my own with the slower greens I struggle

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
There is only one tip that can work over the forum for putting and that is that you must see the club hit the ball. Seems obvious and your reaction will be that you do but you probably don't. not to the extent that is required.

See the putter strike and keep looking where the ball was whilst you listen for it dropping in the hole.

This will help. You will hole more putts. It is the only tip that I ever give as it is the only one that is likely to deliver an improvement.

This I like. Also like the Tiger Woods slo mo, thanks for that Bob :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Their arms are relaxed and hang naturally from the shoulders
Their elbows stay tucked into the sides of their body throughout the stroke

How can you do both of those Bob? When I hang my arms my elbows don't touch my body :confused:

I find my elbows drift from my body by a good 2-3", should I be pulling them back in? It doesn't feel very relaxed that way in fact it feels very contrived. Should the elbows literally be locked/tucked/held against the lower rib area?

Thanks in adv...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
see, these impulse buys Gary... not good for you.

what was up with the metal x compared to the XG? My 2 ball belly was the XG and whilst great for shorter putts it was crap for long/lag putts

I do putt ok on other courses but at my own with the slower greens I struggle

It didn't have the sound/feel that I was hoping it would have. It felt like a firmer version of the XG, which I suppose it is.

Next impulse purchase already made. Had an oversize grip fitted to the putter that my distance control is best with. Yet to play with it but it feels more controllable (convincing myself).

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
ahhh gmta as I was looking at an oversize grip. Might pop up AG and get one (if they sell them) I have a spare for my ping if it doesnt work. Cheaper than getting a new putter ;)

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
ahhh gmta as I was looking at an oversize grip. Might pop up AG and get one (if they sell them) I have a spare for my ping if it doesnt work. Cheaper than getting a new putter ;)

I've gone off my oversize grip (too big) so slimming down today to a midsize grip and trying the Superstroke Ultra Slim. Will let you know

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting stuff. The first requirement is to achieve a repeatable stroke with some 'rules' - as Bob said. All I would add to these are ball position and where your hands are (should be slightly ahead of the ball assuming a standard lofted putter). Use trainig aids for this (perhaps a V easy or chalk line). The proof is in the roll you achieve. A good roll off of the face as opposed to the ball bouncing is crucial. Once you have a grooved stroke get into playing mode. Think nothing of the mechanics. Practice your pre shot routine. Long putts of variable lengths and breaks etc. Also short putts to build confidence.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not that im repeating what James' reply has said Bob but if i let my hands and arm hang from my shoulders at address then they hang away from my body also....
I could get them closer to my rib cage but that would mean having to stand taller which in my case narrows my stance and my swing the becomes a more pronounced arc.....

With the wider stance and the more bent over posture my stroke is straighter but then my hands hang a good deal away from my body.....

Does this then become a putter length issue?
Or maybe even a Lie angle issue?