Putting strokes gained/lost app ?

jmcp

Visit site
Hi,

are there any putting apps that you use to record your putting distance and strokes to work out strokes gained/lost etc... The reason I ask is that I have had some rounds were I have had 21 and 22 putts which on the surface sounds great but in reality it was due to me chipping in or chipping stiff a number of times during the round.

I intend spending more time and effort on my putting before the season starts and anything that may help keep me amused/interested with regards to putting will be embraced for fear of getting bored with a part of the game that I really do not enjoy.

cheers, John

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not an app, but there's a webpage which allows you to put in your putting distances and let's you work out your strokes gained against either a tour pro or (approximate) handicap level.
The underlying stats are based on mark broadie's analysis (apparently).
Probably best used to track progress (especially if used on the same course all the time) rather than as an 'absolute' value.
I would imagine you could also use it as a training aid on a putting green - do 18 different length putts and see how you do.
It's at https://www.golfrankingstats.com/strokes-gained-calculator/

jmcp

Visit site
Thanks, that is what I am looking for but in an app format so that I can update it real time (if I can remember that is lol)

cheers, John

jmcp

Visit site
I bought (£2.99) an app called TruPutt which gets you to enter the distance of your first putt on each green and how many putts you take, it then provides some stats including strokes gained, I have only entered 1 round so far from our club winter medal, not sure how long I will stick with it but going to try and get myself at least 10 rounds of putting data to understand if I there is some meaningful data to come out of it but suspect that it will just reaffirm what I already know but at least I will have the data to prove it or maybe it will throw up some surprises. Below is my data for today’s round, not very impressive and unfortunately I really didn’t need the app to tell me that.

PNG image.png

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Do you know what your SG is compared against? If it is a tour player, that's pretty decent, if it's an 18 handicapper less so!
To be honest, that looks pretty decent to me, especially on winter greens.
I think if you use it over a period of time it will at least give you a guide as to whether you are geting better or not, especially if you are working on something at the time.

jmcp

Visit site
TruPutt seemingly compares your stats against pga pro’s so always going to be difficult to get into positive strokes gained. No winter greens yesterday, infact, the greens were really good, just a little slow which meant I left myself with far too many 4 and 5 footers to try and hole.

i’m going to persevere with it for about 10 rounds and then see if it provides me with any worthwhile insights.

cheers, John