Putting ruins my game

pingman93

Medal Winner
Visit site
its really frustrating me now and ruining my game most holes i am on the green in regulation and putting for birdies and pars most holes but it seems to take me 3 puts ruing my score completley.So i was woundering if anyone has any putting drills i could use to improve putting genrally

cheers

pingman93

Medal Winner
Visit site
i stuggle with both really it just putting in general i try and pratice it on the putting greens we have but it dont seem to be helping as there is no aim if that makes sense

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bob posted some videos on here no to long ago, they surfaced again yesterday on another thread.

It might be worth looking them and seeing if they help.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The problems I see most often are...
too much lower body movement
Head up
Flicky wrists
Too long/short a backswing
Slowing down into the ball

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have am iPhone you could try the PING app, I have it on my phone and I know a lot of others who swear by it. Not trying to do Bob out of a job, but the app has helped me a lot, I've now got a 1.8 putt average per hole for my rounds.

pingman93

Medal Winner
Visit site
thats interesting how dose it help if you dont mind me asking dose it have like drills for you to do or just record how many puts you take

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
thats interesting how dose it help if you dont mind me asking dose it have like drills for you to do or just record how many puts you take

It's something to do with the accelerometer in the iPhone, you attach your phone to the shaft of your putter and it somehow works out how far you've swung the club and how fast, it also works out if the swing path is straight or arched and whether the middle point of the arch is away from you like the letter 'n' or close to you like the letter 'u'.

I only use those letters to badly describe the shape of the arch as I can't draw in this post.

It then gives you a putting handicap which you work on to lower.

Granted you havn't got someone telling you to do this or that, but I guess the purpose is to make you think more about your putting swing and with the numbers you have something to aim to lower.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
This book helped me a lot and took most of the technical stuff out of my head and got me back to just rolling putts. You can get it as a kindle ebook for a few quid cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unconscious-Putting-Stocktons-Unlocking-Signature/dp/1592406602

The biggest tip i got from the book was picking a spot just in front of the ball that's on my line. I even took this through to other parts of my game with a good degree of success. Might not work for everyone though.

As suggested in the book I came up with my own signature stroke and routine that I'm comfortable with and more importantly confident with. I also use the grip from stan utleys putting book, it's similar to Stocktons grip (i.e. both reverse overlap grips) but just described slightly different.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll leave the pro's to do the technical stuff but most people I speak to, or see, that have putting woes completely fail to enjoy the aspect of getting the ball in the hole.

It's something to be hurried, got over, nothing there to enjoy, savor, relish or appreciate for the challenge.

Get into a mindset that accepts everything else as foreplay - now the real game starts!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
A couple of things i do when the putting goes off track, (1) is to put down two tees just wider than the putter head , place the ball in the centre & just hit it , this shows me the putter is on line/square at impact ..
(2) i put 2 wooden tees down (point to point) just in front of the hole & putt over them , makes ya hit the shorter ones firmer , (3) when i get to putting green i practice pace rather that holing out at first . then i just hole out a few 3/4 footers ..

Another tip is to get a practice ball & draw a thick marker line on it , them just focus on the roll you are getting on the putt ,