Putting break down mid round

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone know how to cope when your putting breaks down mid round?

I was honestly putting it 10 foot pass the hole when I only had a 10 foot putt

Or I would leave a 30 foot putt 15 foot short

And 3 foot putts suddenly looked impossible

Seems to creep into my game every few rounds where I just break down and can't putt...other times I can be fairly decent.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

Seems to creep into my game every few rounds where I just break down and can't putt...other times I can be fairly decent.

It sounds like tension relax make sure your grip doesn't get to tight, you have to trust what you do when putting

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Remind self to pick pace before thinking about line and remind self to hit it out the middle.

Both of those are so easy to forget I find.

Other than that just practice more/better or have it looked at by a pro, then practice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get this off the tee. Great for half a round and then it just falls apart. I try to go back to basics, make things simple, have a couple of key things to think about. Focus on those two key points and hope that brings me back. Work out what you do when you putt well and pull out a couple of key things that you can try to fall back on. It may be the pull back, it may be follow through. You may need to concentrate on a certain point on the ball. Whatever it is focus on those key things until you start to relax and get your mojo back. Good luck.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would suggest looking at the hole when putting the longer ones if things go really bad.

I tried it for two rounds and was quite surprised that I could still hit the ball, approximately on line and got the ball to about the right length.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

The yips?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolutely this, when you practice putting putt alternate putts to a close and medium or far target. Like 4 foot and 15-20 foot

This drill helped me no end.

+1 on this. I go through exact same routine for all putts of all lengths (down to about 12") - but I vary the length of the backswing according to length of putt. I thought that this was obvious until I played with a guy couple of weeks ago who was doing just as you. I had to tell him that for his practice he was using the same long backswing and brisk tempo for all putts, and then when doing actual putt, repeating the backswing length and tempo and trying to decelerate (he never needed to speed it up!) into the ball for whatever length of putt he had. It was a disaster. Hitting the ball miles past the hole all the time, a few tweaks to his backswing and tempo and he was OK.