Putter Weight

faunty

Hacker
Visit site
Probably a stupid question, but is there a way to work out how heavy my putter should be?

The reason I ask is that I consistently leave putts in the 10ft range short by 1-2ft and putts in the 20 ft range short by 3-4ft.

I have tried increasing the size/speed of my swing to make up the distance but that doesn't feel natural and my distance control is a lot less consistent, so I'm starting to think that I need more weight in my putter head.

Other than trial and error is there any way to calculate how much weight I need to add?

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
No, not really, just try a bunch of different putters, you might even find a lighter putter works better if it allows you to accelerate through the ball more at impact.

Or some sh*t or other, I dunno...

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I read somewhere or other that the pros use a lighter putter when they play over here than they use on the, presumably, faster greens in the US. I seem to recall that the article also said that they use a more lofted putter.

maybe that's the trick for winter greens?

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
Tiger switched to a different weight putter for the Open, at least for the first two rounds, when it clearly wasn't working and he switched back again. Off the top of my head I can't remember if it was lighter or heavier.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had lots of putters over the years. My favourite blade-style models (ping A blade, mizuno something, odyssey dual force, B60 (?) etc.) all seemed to suit my game at the time, but since starting playing for the 2nd time, never seemed to do the job on the slow lush greens of Britain's (seemingly) rainiest county. So, I swapped to heavy mallets and have not looked back.
Light putters are great, but I've always felt that light putter = bigger stroke and more room for error. Also, blade putters are well dodgy hit a little off the toe, whereas a big, high MOI mallet seems much better.
Horses for courses, putter style for courses too.
Find one that works well with your style and practise.

Also, try different balls. I find my choice of ball almost entirely depends on short game, not long game. I get the right pace most of the time with Wilson Staff balls but can't putt with most distance balls anywhere near so well as decent balls. Give me a top flite or AD333 and I'm way past the hole (too far) for endless rounds until I calm down my stroke accordingly.