Putter maintenance

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Bough an old scotty recently and she's a beaut.

However made a rookie error over the weekend and left her in the car over night after a more than damp round. Next day the rust wass starting to show through the new paint job (it's a refurbed circa 62 putter), though rust was starting to come through even prior to this.

Anyone got any tips on maintaining older putters, particularly avoiding rust and getting rid of it should it be unavoidable. Just been over it with WD40 and seems to have worked. Are the any polishes or protective substances which would be good to use?

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are probably much wiser folks than I, but I give my putter (and irons) a clean and wipe over with WD40 and squirt a little into the putter headcover if it’s going to be standing for a while.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

Bough an old scotty recently and she's a beaut.

However made a rookie error over the weekend and left her in the car over night after a more than damp round. Next day the rust wass starting to show through the new paint job (it's a refurbed circa 62 putter), though rust was starting to come through even prior to this.

Anyone got any tips on maintaining older putters, particularly avoiding rust and getting rid of it should it be unavoidable. Just been over it with WD40 and seems to have worked. Are the any polishes or protective substances which would be good to use?

Sounds like whoever did the paint job cocked up, I would suggest sending it for a proper refurb with a good quality club refurb company, there are several threads on here recommending reputable people.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless the putter is in raw steel, I can’t see the painted putter rusting over night, more likely is treatments on the green affecting the finish.
Mine only gets a wipe over after each hole, and into its cover. Never had any issues with it.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless the putter is in raw steel, I can’t see the painted putter rusting over night, more likely is treatments on the green affecting the finish.
Mine only gets a wipe over after each hole, and into its cover. Never had any issues with it.

Interesting point. Our greens are being heavily treated at the moment. I've bought some gun oil and hopefully that will do the trick.