Putter Head Falling Off

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the clubhouse after our comp today a discussion broke out as follows;

It was a shotgun start and one guy was putting on the 18th (about halfway round for him) and the head fell off his putter as he holed out.

He then proceed to go into the shop and borrow a loan putter to finish his round. As he was on the 18th he admitted he was lucky he was by the shop to go and get another and had this happened on a different hole he would of been in trouble.

when he was taking about this someone told him he could not get another club as he could not borrow someone else s club. This is debatable as he borrowed a loan club from the shop but I guess he could of just bought one if that were an issue.

Someone else said this was fine as he did not break his club through misuse and he could then go and get a new club to replace the damaged one.

I know this is rare but what is the rule here?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If a club is damaged in the normal course of play the player may (Rule 4-3a):

(i) use the club in its damaged state for the remainder of the stipulated round; or

(ii) without unduly delaying play, repair it or have it repaired; or

(iii) as an additional option available only if the club is unfit for play, replace the damaged club with any club. The replacement of a club must not unduly delay play and must not be made by borrowing any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course.

So hes fine to borrow from the shop

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's great thank you.

Have to admit he was very lucky where it happened, so basically if this were to happen on any other hole (none of the others are near the shop) he would of had it.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Or if your in trouble you can use any club in your bag so get that trusty 1 iron out which everyone carries :)
Iv played a friendly game with a guy who used a driver as his putter got damaged.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or if your in trouble you can use any club in your bag so get that trusty 1 iron out which everyone carries :)
Iv played a friendly game with a guy who used a driver as his putter got damaged.

much much easier to use the leading edge of the PW - worth practicing it though, but it's easier!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
much much easier to use the leading edge of the PW - worth practicing it though, but it's easier!
My MD hybrid was much more effective. And I'd probably still use my 4H these days.

I remember having to use a 4-iron to putt with (against an LR I subsequently found out!) when I left my putter on the practice green once (playing alone)! Regretted it being a Par 5 for once!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played with a guy who left his putter behind on a hole. It was about 2 holes prior as he blanked the next one so was much to far for him to retrieve and the group behind hadn't seen it. Took to using his 3 wood and putted better with it than he did with his putter.

On saying that I've sometimes hit better putts with a bladed wedge than I do with a putter.