Putter for 14 year old

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My son is beginning to find his feet and enjoying his golf! He currently uses a gel 33" putter which has gone a tad rusty. He has asked Santa for a putter for Christmas, but I just wondered if there were any decent option out there around the £50 mark? I am tempted by the Cleveland Smart Square blade putter £41 inc postage at DG or the Cleveland HB 10 at online golf £49. We can try options at AG, but generally putters are around the £100 mark. Bit of a dilemma as I want him to try a model first. Any ideas?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Oh Jeez. Putters are so personal so probably best to take him on a trip to a retailer under the premise that you are looking for something. Then challenge him to a comp using various putters as a bit of fun and take note of what he prefers.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh Jeez. Putters are so personal so probably best to take him on a trip to a retailer under the premise that you are looking for something. Then challenge him to a comp using various putters as a bit of fun and take note of what he prefers.

Not a bad idea, cheers

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on his height, etc. I bought a used 2 ball for my daughter and cut it down to 30.5" and refitted the grip, I didn't want to spend a fortune as she will outgrow it. I have the smart square mallet and I find it a great putter, not so keen on the blade style myself but it's all down to personal preference. The Cleveland build quality is just as good as Odyssey, etc.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on his height, etc. I bought a used 2 ball for my daughter and cut it down to 30.5" and refitted the grip, I didn't want to spend a fortune as she will outgrow it. I have the smart square mallet and I find it a great putter, not so keen on the blade style myself but it's all down to personal preference. The Cleveland build quality is just as good as Odyssey, etc.

I do like Cleveland and for £40-£49 for the different styles, you really can't go wrong

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I still use the putter I got when I was 14/15, so pick well. I agree with those who have suggested getting him to try a few out. I would only add that I was glad I didn't get my club cut shorter, as it meant i got to grow into it...

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I still use the putter I got when I was 14/15, so pick well. I agree with those who have suggested getting him to try a few out. I would only add that I was glad I didn't get my club cut shorter, as it meant i got to grow into it...

He seems ok with 33" but I may go for 34", like you say I am hoping he can grow into it. Leaning towards Cleveland 10, but may try out Benross in AG as well

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bear in mind kids are very brand conscious. It may be a better bet to get a second hand branded putter from AG. I got my Ping Anser, frankly as new, from an AG for about £60. They are in with the new putters but are labelled second hand. You can get some really good deals there. You can play the same trick as has been mentioned, try for fun then pop back and buy one.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote for Cleveland Huntington Beach putters. 3 of my mates have got them and they feel really good for the price. American golf can get anything off the website into store for you to try before you buy too

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got my lad a second-hand Nike Method. Great putter, good brand for kids and ours for £49. The little bugger is deadly with it.

Please get it cut to size however to avoid them developing bad habits around posture and the stroke.

D

Deleted member 21258

Adam(son) and I went to our club pro when he was 13 or 14, who stocks a fair number of putters in the shop and tried out the putters on the indoors putting area and outside. He was quite excited by trying out loads of putters.

He fairly quickly saw which ones he putted best with and then picked the one he liked the look of. Maybe worth considering.

Hows your son progressing Spear-chucker, is he still improving ? (One day maybe a pairs game against me/adam if you fancy it, would ne nice to catch up.)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
take him on a trip to a retailer under the premise that you are looking for something. Then challenge him to a comp using various putters as a bit of fun and take note of what he prefers.

Great post, 14 year olds tend to have strong opinions on what they like and what they don't

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Adam(son) and I went to our club pro when he was 13 or 14, who stocks a fair number of putters in the shop and tried out the putters on the indoors putting area and outside. He was quite excited by trying out loads of putters.

He fairly quickly saw which ones he putted best with and then picked the one he liked the look of. Maybe worth considering.

Hows your son progressing Spear-chucker, is he still improving ? (One day maybe a pairs game against me/adam if you fancy it, would ne nice to catch up.)

Hi Darren, he's doing great thanks - enjoying the game loads and has reduced his club HCP from 42 to 30! Darned kids ;)Just trying to keep it fun mainly 😀 Adam still going great guns? Bet he gives you a run for your money..! Agree it would be great to catch up, we should definately plan a game :thup:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Beauty's it the eye of.. etc etc, and that is one ugggglllly club (only the manufacture would have the nerve to call it 'smart' )

edit to contribute something to the thread: A little bit more dosh but the Nike Method mentioned earlier in the thread is still available brand new for £75 at clubhousegolf. It's got the quality & looks (and a tenuous connection to Tiger & Rory)

Last edited:

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Took the lad to AG yesterday to try out some putters and get measured. Kind of knew it would happen, but the putter he preferred and nailed 4 out of 4 ten footers with was the Benross MDJ3 mallet £99!! Why couldn't the little tinker have nailed the Fazer lol??