Putter fittings,

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of late putting has been up and down. Last year I was using a half mallet style rife and after playing with the the ping putter app it was diagnosed that I needed a blade answer style putter. A shopping spree on eBay and a Cleveland VP1 milled later everything was all glory. So after around 6 months and a fatso 3.0 everything was all hunky dorey the. Out of no where the putting collapsed, everything either lagging miles short or flying past the hole.

Onwards a step to the odyssey #7 and again some great putting for 6-8 weeks then again out of no where the putting has collapsed and distance control is a major issue.

Given that both putters where not fitted I'm now seriously considering a putter fitting in order to try and rid the gremlins for good. Sunday even with a bad back I was on target for buffer at worst, I got my 0.1 back but on review I notice I had 41 putts which was a killer, given that I was 13 over gross, 30 putts would have seen me only 2 over gross.

I've got a lesson booked next week to address this issue, I'm convinced most of it is that my stroke isn't stable enough to find the middle of the putter consistently which is giving varied distance control, but I'm interested to hear from those that have gone group the putting fitting process and whether they thought it was worth the investment.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of late putting has been up and down. Last year I was using a half mallet style rife and after playing with the the ping putter app it was diagnosed that I needed a blade answer style putter. A shopping spree on eBay and a Cleveland VP1 milled later everything was all glory. So after around 6 months and a fatso 3.0 everything was all hunky dorey the. Out of no where the putting collapsed, everything either lagging miles short or flying past the hole.

Onwards a step to the odyssey #7 and again some great putting for 6-8 weeks then again out of no where the putting has collapsed and distance control is a major issue.

Given that both putters where not fitted I'm now seriously considering a putter fitting in order to try and rid the gremlins for good. Sunday even with a bad back I was on target for buffer at worst, I got my 0.1 back but on review I notice I had 41 putts which was a killer, given that I was 13 over gross, 30 putts would have seen me only 2 over gross.

I've got a lesson booked next week to address this issue, I'm convinced most of it is that my stroke isn't stable enough to find the middle of the putter consistently which is giving varied distance control, but I'm interested to hear from those that have gone group the putting fitting process and whether they thought it was worth the investment.

I think the lesson is the best option, at least short term before the bad weather comes and that dreaded word "temps" rears its head. If you had been putting well, it sounds more like a confidence issue and thinking too much about it, but get the pro to look at the stroke, check the basics and go from there. I do have a lesson for Pachesham Golf Centre in the SAM lab but to be honest, when I've practiced, especially from short range, I've putted well this season. Maybe you just need to get the confirmation that your stroke is ok and then practice

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was fitted for my putter but that was after a couple of very intensive lessons using a gizmo called Zenio I think. Anyhow my pro did say my half mallet Rossie wasn't ideal but we'd try and get there without investing in a new putter (arc way too strong). I did make improvements but within a few months went back for a fitting. I think from memory mine has a degree extra loft as my tendancy is to deloft plus the right type/length etc.

My putting has improved but can still be streaky but then putting is (a dark art!). The main benefit is I totally trust my putter is right for me and any inadequacies are totally me and I can work those out on the practice putting green rather than on Ebay.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not dismissing putter fittings but if you putt well with a couple of very different styles for a while before it goes to rat poo then a putter fitting may not improve that.
All parts of the game go on holiday for a while - it's very rare that everything fires in the same round.
I think it's more about finding a style of putter you like and hitting the practice green.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The fact that i have two very different style putters which i can have sub 30 putts rounds with and equally 40+ putts with teels me that putters are pretty much as is, there has to be a technique flaw somewhere,

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spent around two hours tonight with both flat sticks, currently looking at drills to improve putter distance consistency

best 15 quid you can spend is on a putting mat for use at home. 10 minutes here and there all the time will sort of your stroke. roll in a load of 8 footers. really helps!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a playing lesson on Friday and my pro felt my putter dud me no favours as he felt the roll was not strong enough. On Sunday I tested several putters with him and ended up with the Odyssey Versa no 9 and it feels good

Check with someone who knows and do what they advise Baz

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Spent around two hours tonight with both flat sticks, currently looking at drills to improve putter distance consistency

Best I had for that - and lag putting is a definite strength for me - was a series of distances - 6, 9 and 12 feet - putted with eyes open, then closed! From one of the Rotella books.

Doesn't seem to be the tool though!

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
best 15 quid you can spend is on a putting mat for use at home. 10 minutes here and there all the time will sort of your stroke. roll in a load of 8 footers. really helps!
Putting mat at home and one of the "ladder" drills on the practice greens is a great confidence builder!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2 hours last night + YouTube + 2 hours tonight = major improvement

Seems I'd lost the tempo and that's why I wasn't finding consistency. Spent all night just focusing on a smooth stroke from the middle of the face and sunk so very good putts. Also had a great 36 hole putting comp against out current leader the order of merit and finished all square so it seems to be on the mend,