Pushing Boundaries?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Paddys gone way way too far imo, theres a line, especially as a business and for me they crossed it. Sadly no publicity is bad publicity etc and im pretty sure they knew what they were doing in advance

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
sick - but that's the way with those in thrall of making money through the weakness of others - this is aimed simply at those who gamble - no pretense of an interest in the 'sport' - oh what a laugh. What harmless fun they'll say. aye right - harmless fun. Thanks @Fish for bringing this to our attention.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The e-mail; no. The advertisement; very much so. This was someone's life. I've signed it.

I didn't mean the actual email being a step to far, I was alluding to the content of what PP was advertising :smirk:

I think its pretty disgusting.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's a pretty crass idea - I hope they get lots of stick and lose loads of customers as a result.
Nobody with a shred of Humanity is going to bet on it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Paddy power went beyond the pale some time ago, this another example....

Never mind the petition, place your bets elsewhere.

That would be the best way to treat it imo!

Though I'm sure there'll other use made of the Oscar coincidence.

Remember though that it's a trial, so innocent until proven guilty. I certainly wouldn't the sort of juror the defence would want though!

And it's 'alluding' btw Fish. 'Eluding' could describe Oscar's relationship with justice so far! (only reason I mention it)

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
appalling advertising- this is someones life!! they are commercializing death and trying to desensitize it all.

FD's answer is the best way- DON'T bet with these idiots

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it's that offensive then why publish it?

I don't use any betting sites so until now was oblivious to the advertising.

Am I offended? No.

Whatever the outcome of the case in SA it won't affect my life or that of my wife and kids

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheap shot from what is now a cheap industry..Over saturated TV time to get folk into financial ruin..No morals,all about greed at whatever cost..."Right i'm off,the wife's out,gas and food shopping money to spend on black jack machine"..Soon have Wonga and Paddy with outlets next to each other eh....

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheap shot from what is now a cheap industry..Over saturated TV time to get folk into financial ruin..No morals,all about greed at whatever cost..."Right i'm off,the wife's out,gas and food shopping money to spend on black jack machine"..Soon have Wonga and Paddy with outlets next to each other eh....

I work in the gambling industry and you clearly have no idea as to how it works. Keep on reading the Sun when its a slow news day and blame everything on the bookies and ignore the actual facts of what really happens. Problem gamblers make up 0.5% of the population, guess what in 10 years it is actually down from 0.6% and that includes the increase in population but hey lets jump on the bandwagon.

Have paddy gone to far? Yes but they do things like this all of the time, they will close the book and honour any bets taken, but its advertising and the fact your talking about their brand on a golf forum is all they wanted.

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I work in the gambling industry and you clearly have no idea as to how it works. Keep on reading the Sun when its a slow news day and blame everything on the bookies and ignore the actual facts of what really happens. Problem gamblers make up 0.5% of the population, guess what in 10 years it is actually down from 0.6% and that includes the increase in population but hey lets jump on the bandwagon.

Have paddy gone to far? Yes but they do things like this all of the time, they will close the book and honour any bets taken, but its advertising and the fact your talking about their brand on a golf forum is all they wanted.
Firstly,what constitutes a problem gambler?
How do you measure that..Someone who spends £2 -£2,000 or more that they cannot afford?
Secondly,0.5% of what population? GB or the betting population?
Also,how does the gambling industry work?..Enlighten me please:)

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A problem gambler consists of anyone who see's gambling as anything other than a form of entertainment.

Anyone staking a large amount of money more than once a week is "logged" and they are then monitored and unless sufficient information is known about them bets will be refused. Premiership footballer is fine, Dan who got laid off 3 weeks ago and usually puts 2 quid on the football but now wants 200 on a horse isnt.

The 0.5% is of the GB population the same as the 0.6 was before it.

G

guest100718

Parts of the trial are on live TV, the BBC et al are have endless updates about it. It's just one massive circus and you cant get on PPs back when everyone else is sensationalising it to the max.

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
That would be the best way to treat it imo!

Though I'm sure there'll other use made of the Oscar coincidence.

Remember though that it's a trial, so innocent until proven guilty. I certainly wouldn't the sort of juror the defence would want though!

And it's 'alluding' btw Fish. 'Eluding' could describe Oscar's relationship with justice so far! (only reason I mention it)

There is no jury in this case - the judge will decide the outcome.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
In this country there will always be somebody offended by something. I don't find it the most edifying of marketing campaigns, but then again I am just as 'offended' by most of the headlines on most non broadsheet papers nowadays.

It's a bit like the Brand/Ross BBC think. At the time it happened there were 3 complaints by those that listened to it. The rest came in when papers made it a story and told people they should be offended by it.