Pulling left off tee

Moff

Head Pro
Visit site
For many years I have been combating a bad slice and recently I felt I had made some headway this year but last few weeks I seem to be pulling left off the tee. If my target line straight down the middle is 12 o'clock my ball ends up at 10 o'clock roughly.

Any thoughts / tips on cause/cure?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cause - same slice swing (OTT) but with a closed face at impact?

I'm no expert though so hang tight and someone who knows better will be along soon :)

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you are swinging out to in and going OTT.
You could try stepping your right foot back a footlength and swing round your body to get you away from the OTT move you are currently doing

Hopey84

Club Champion
Visit site
I was having the same problem a few months ago with my driver either slicing or pulling.

Tried starting the downswing with an exaggerated hips first movement and it has stopped the over the top movement.

Also trying to absolutely smash the ball was causing the over the top movement so now swing much more smoothly and hitting it as well as I ever have without sacrificing any distance

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Moff.....Sounds like your OTT...... Im not one usually to give advice as its better given from a qualified member but i suffered from the same issue so i know where your coming from......

Try this....Its a relatively simple fix but will take a long time to ingrain....Im 6 months after my first lesson and im still fighting it a little....Although its getting better.....

Grab your 2 alignement canes if you have them....... Use a mid iron 6 or 7 and take your address posture...... Mark a spot on the ground roughly 12 inchs outside the toe line of your right foot....... Stick the alignement cane in the ground at this point and get it to roughly mimic the angle your shaft makes at address......

Move about 2 ft to your left and take your address position...Make a backswing and miss the cane on the way back...Do the same on the downswing......If thats ok....Now take the other cane and stick it in the ground about 2.5ft to your left and in line with your left hip.....

You need to start with slow swings missing both canes....It sounds easy but if your swinging OTT you'll hit both at some stage.....
Because your swinging OTT your swinging across your body and there is no room for your hands so you have to stand up through the shot.....And swing left catching the one on your left hand side..... To miss this you'll have to feel like you want to throw the club straight out to your left side down the fairway and miss the cane.....

What this drill will help with is to get you on the right plane first and then get you swinging from the inside missing the cane on your right and it will also keep you in your posture longer and eventually start missing the cane on your left....

If your prepared to work at it you'll see the rewards after a few weeks...But i have to warn you....Changing a swing path is a big change.....If you want to stop pulling and slicing the ball then this is what you'll need to do in the long run.....