Pulling it left

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is something that has gradually been creeping into my game of late. My normal ball flight is straight or slight draw with irons, draw withhybrid and fairway woods and anything can and does happen with the driver :eek:

Over recent weeeks I've been missing greens left with my irons and it's getting worse. The ball starts off at, or just left, of the target and then moves further left. So I assume the face must be square or very slightly closed with a swingpath in to out reltive to the face?

I've checked grip and alignment and I dn't appear to be closing the face or setting up wrong.

Two possibilities come to mind, either a lack of weight shift on to the left through the swing, or 'spinning out' of the stroke with my shoulders opening up. Not easy to describe, and less easy to decipher without being able to see it I know but it's driving me to despair.

I will get down to see my pro asap, but that is not going to be this week owing to work commitments.

Any thoughts / ideas? :confused:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right possibly a hook if there is curve in the shot. When I was hitting my shots left of target they were arrow straight left no curve at all, what I was doing was actually an over the top swing but actually squaring the clubface rather than leaving it open causing a slice which is what normally happens,therefore at impact causing a shot going straight left this is why I ask about the flight. Perhaps Marks video might help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o8jTpkMMbE

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ball starts left - clubface pointing left.
Ball moves more left - path is to the right of the face (imparting draw spin)

So the face is closed to the path (by whatever degree) which is fine if you normally hit a draw and that's what you're playing for.

Causes and fixes are plentiful depending on the desired result.... I'd suggest you check your shoulder alignment first to make sure your upper body isn't actually aiming left at address.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought about the fact that his shoulders or body could actually be aiming left but he says in his first post that he has checked his alignment and set up so did not go that route. Unless he hasn't checked properly:)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I thought about the fact that his shoulders or body could actually be aiming left but he says in his first post that he has checked his alignment and set up so did not go that route. Unless he hasn't checked properly:)

LOL, I had considered that :thup:... I just think he needs to start by checking again :D LOLOL hehehe

So many causes.... could be as simple as the ball too far forward allowing time for the face to close and the path to straighten or it could be lack of weight shift or the body turning too slowly but if he NORMALLY hits a draw then he shouldn't have suddenly out of nowhere suddenly changed both his swingpath AND the face... so I'd check the upper body alignment (and the aim) again. Simple things first.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The pull left was my stock shot not so long ago.

I was told it was due to the reverse pivot and an out to in swing with the clubface closed.

Also known as the ani shank.

Still get it from time to time when i swing to fast or hard.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could be a number of things but for me a pull is often due to not making a full shoulder turn on the way back. Get the left shoulder behind the ball at the end of the back swing (assuming you are right handed).

I have had this at this time of year - due to wearing lots of layers and playing in the cold etc

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely not alignment or grip, didn't get much further than that though as of the next 80 balls 90% were shanks with every iron in the bag! :(

Lesson booked for next Tuesday evening......and Woburn on Wednesday! :mmm:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stick with it matey it will come back;)One last thing and I know it is really simple but your not stood in too close to the ball are you as this can cause shanks amongst other problems, I am speaking from personal experience on this:) If its not that then I haven't a clue and have a good lesson next Tues:thup:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
The shanks are something new, only ever happened to me once before at the range like that and almost never hit one on the course.

I was exactly the same, I think on the range the golfer in this instance certainly me and maybe you tends to get a bit lazy in set up and suchlike hence the shanks where as on the course more thought and preperation goes into each shot so it rarely happens. If it is a new fault it will be something simple

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was exactly the same, I think on the range the golfer in this instance certainly me and maybe you tends to get a bit lazy in set up and suchlike hence the shanks where as on the course more thought and preperation goes into each shot so it rarely happens. If it is a new fault it will be something simple

Not too worried about what happened tonight, that was a complete one-off. If it hadn't have been for the fact I was trying to work out what is causing the pull / hook, I would have abandoned the long game and just had a chipping session.

I did almost take madandra's head off with a shanked chip once at Goswick......was worth it to see the look on his face though! :rofl:

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had the 'anti-hook' lesson last night. The problem is early release or losing the wrist hinge too early and subsequently having the hands behind the ball at impact.

My pro had a mid iron with a putter grip fitted that has been put on with the flat about 30 deg clockwise so forcing the grip to become very strong, hitting a few 1/2 and 3/4 shots with this really got the feeling of maintaining the wrist angle and keeping the hands ahead of the clubhead through impact.

It felt very strange and was not easy to do, but by the end of the session I was able to transfer the feeling and was hitting my irons much better. Will take a while to get this grooved I think (perhaps as well Woburn was cancelled, it could have been ugly!) but with a long weekend coming up there will be a few hours spent at the range.