ProjectX vs RIP 60

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had my 910D2 for over 2 years now, and always used a PX 7C3 stiff shaft.

I bought an Aldila RIP 60g in stiff a while ago but just not got round to trying it yet.

Has anyone used both and can offer an opinion on the difference between the 2, or more specifically what you think will happen if I stick the RIP in it for my next game?

Thankya

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Both very similar but the RIP should spin a little more as it's a bit lighter. I've just dropped an NV shaft to go back to the RIP shaft.

Please explain what you mean by "but the RIP should spin a little more as it's a bit lighter." ?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please explain what you mean by "but the RIP should spin a little more as it's a bit lighter." ?
Maybe not the best quote, but the RIP should spin more, not by much as both are low spin shafts. The project X is known so be fairly stout and heavy.

Regards my shaft weight comment, it's too easy for me to say that on a forum (but is a bit of a sweeping comment). Heavy shafts for me bring my spin rate down but wont be the same for everyone.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe not the best quote, but the RIP should spin more, not by much as both are low spin shafts. The project X is known so be fairly stout and heavy.

Regards my shaft weight comment, it's too easy for me to say that on a forum (but is a bit of a sweeping comment). Heavy shafts for me bring my spin rate down but wont be the same for everyone.

I am just interested in how that works. I cant quite get my head around how a shaft will affect spin rates. Is it due to the shaft flexing more at the tip so creating additional effective loft?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, and the interesting link.

What I can gather from that is that 'it depends'.

My experience has been that a lighter shaft increases my spin rate, which is a shame because I'm built like a whippet and a heavy shaft feels like the club is swinging me rather than the other way round. I know it's not heavy in real terms, but relatively speaking.

I'm now wondering if an ultra light shaft in an x flex would be an improvement.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really enjoy reading Tom Wishon's posts and have read that one before.

Region3 - yep, the conclusion from most shaft threads is 'it depends' The best way to test is to get on a Trackman and hit the same head with lots of differents shafts with different profiles and weights. That is easier these days given that interchangeable shaft technology is being embraced.

If that's not an option, then if you have swing speed, launch and spin numbers using a particular shaft, then I'm sure a few could advise on shafts you could try to improve your launch conditions... but there's no saying they will get you to where you want to be given YOUR swing.

Saying whether or not x-flex would be a good option depends on your transition, amongst other things. However, it also depends on the profile of the shaft you'd be intending to try. For example, all things being equal and assuming you have a mid transition and late release, I would expect a stiff flex whiteboard to typically produce lower spin than an x-flex redboard.

These days, I get more fun out of trying different shafts than I do out of trying different clubs.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I really depends (that expression again) on what you are trying to achieve - and what sort of feeling you prefer from a shaft.

There is now a greater range of quality ultra-light shafts available but you also need to be careful about both the attributes of the particular shaft and the possibility of ending up with an out of balance club need to be considered. A proper fitting is almost certainly the best place for that to be done imo.

Don't be disappointed - or even surprised - if it turns out that there is little actual benefit to be gained by changing though. That will at least give you confidence that your set-up is optimised. I believe that confidence is very important to the way you swing, something often underestimated by those advocating change. Remember that fittings might reduce potential shafts from a dozen to about 3, but the final choice is generally left up to the player as to which one actually FEELs best.