Pro as club captain?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So my club has just announced that next year's vice captain is going to be the club pro, meaning the year after that he will be the club captain. No mention of him giving up any of his duties as the club pro.
I've never heard of this before, seems unusual, anyone known this happen?

I don't have a problem with it, I just thought it was unusual so thought I'd ask.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have members who are pro's so no issue if they wanted to become captain if they are paying members.

not sure if i would be if it was someone the club paid to work at the club and they were not strictly a member

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That would be a bit stage at our club, our Pro is not member. No reason i guess A pro shouldn't be Captain, but not sure THE pro should be - seems like a conflict of interest since usually he/she would be on a retainer deal of some kind negotiated with the Captain & Secretary!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
That would be a bit stage at our club, our Pro is not member. No reason i guess A pro shouldn't be Captain, but not sure THE pro should be - seems like a conflict of interest since usually he/she would be on a retainer deal of some kind negotiated with the Captain & Secretary!

Exactly this.......
Sounds bizarre and never came across this anywhere before

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like all things it will depend on the person .. if he is a good person who can clearly see what's best for the club will be best for him in the long run , everyone wins ,
If he is someone who will abuse situation .. well..... he prob shouldnt be the Pro of ur club anyhow

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our Old pro was club Captain and President It was a sign of how much he was valued at the club. He knew all the members seniors to juniors by their first names and was a great chap himself. Throughly deserved the honor too the amount of work him and his family did for the club above and beyond.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what happens in captain and pro challenges? does he play 2 balls and choose the best one lol

as other have said, seems a bit odd but with the right people in the right club I dont see why it wouldnt work

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our Old pro was club Captain and President It was a sign of how much he was valued at the club. He knew all the members seniors to juniors by their first names and was a great chap himself. Throughly deserved the honor too the amount of work him and his family did for the club above and beyond.

I like 'odd things' because they generally mean that someone has actually thought about things rather than just continuing a preset process!

You have summed up an excellent example of how this might arise as just such an (positive) oddity.

There will be challenges but if it's the right decision they will all be handled easily.

If it's the wrong decision it will also become very obvious very quickly!!!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never heard of it before but I suppose there's no reason why a club pro shouldn't be captain. It might piss off a few of his opposing captains in club matches though :)

Nice to think that the club think so highly of him/her.

When I was seeking my amateur status back the PGA said I could join a club, gain a club handicap and play in club competitions if the club agreed.
I was not allowed to play in open amateur competitions or inter club matches.
That was around 1974 so things may have changed.
The process of regaining my amateur status took six years in total, I thought that a bit harsh.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our previous Pro became Club Secretary. That worked - didn't do both at same time clearly. Then when he left he was granted Honorary Life Membership of the club - that's a good way to recognise contribution to a club over many decades.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since, by definition as a pro, he cannot have a CONGU handicap, how can he play in club competitions?

Dunno. Off scratch perhaps?

First thought about the Club Pro being captain was that it would be a bit incompatible. But then at ours it is mainly an honorary position - recognition, figurehead, representing the club etc so second thoughts it wouldn't be an issue. And again, wasn't sure how the Pro could devote the time to both roles, but again, plenty of very busy people become club captain so why not.

Only practical issue is that I'm not sure it would be acceptable to tell the Captain he's a miserly git who could knock twenty quid off price if he tried... :)

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems a few other clubs have done it, so whilst unusual it's not unheard of.
I'm sure it has been thought through, I am not privy to the details however.

He's a good bloke our pro, been at the club a while.