Prestwick

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Off to play Prestwick in the morning, really looking forward to it.
Any tips or advice on what to look out for, either on the course or in the clubhouse?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great course .
Couple of years since I played it but there were a few spectators on the railway platform watching.
Has a par 3 where you can’t see the green???
Some stunning holes and the Cardinal bunker I needed a 5 wood to get out it’s massive.
Enjoy.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Few yeqrs since I played it, really enjoyed it. When I went there you could not use the main bit of the clubhouse without a jacket and tie. Atmosphere was relaxed but worth taking the jacket and tie for the main bit.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Book a caddy, even just sharing one in your group would be a massive help.
Not my kind of course, some good holes around the turn, some just old fashioned daft ones.
Clubhouse, service and history is fabulous

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why on Earth would anyone write this?

"Rich in character, the famous clubhouse is as much part of the Prestwick experience as the celebrated course over which the Open Championship was first played. Here prized golfing memorabilia adorn aged wood-panelled walls with infectious laughter wafting through the corridors. This is a place where history brushes shoulders with unreserved fun."

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers folks. We had a good day out and I thought the course was in great condition. Playing more or less all our golf on a links anyway, Prestwick probably wasn't a massive change to the normal for us, although the fairways were a good bit tighter than ours. On the flip side of that, although there was more chance of going in the rough there was also every chance of finding the ball and being able to play it on most holes. It felt like we had the course almost to ourselves, with no groups within three holes in front or behind, which I would imagine reflects the lack of the usual American visitors.

Unfortunately, due to time constraints caused by our travel schedule we didn't get to see much of the clubhouse and certainly weren't in need of jacket and tie for the areas we were in. We must also have missed the "infectious laughter wafting through the corridors" but the people we met couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.