Premium Ball Market

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Taken the plunge and bought a dozen Pro V1x's after a little ball fitting. Felt a bit sick purchasing them but hey, im all for trying things to improve my game and I only lose maybe a ball a round on average at the most.

I used to be sceptical about shafts until I got my Project Xs and X stiff shaft in my driver. Both have Definitely helped me for the better and I can comfortably say have transformed my game - so changing to a premium ball must be worth a go ?!

until about 4 months ago I used whatever was on offer and was less than £14 a dozen, until I tried some Nike RZN Tour black balls. Love them off the driver, maybe fly a little low and are quite clicky with everything else, but they dont spin too much and for £20 a dozen they are easily the best balls I have ever had. Excellent Value but are pretty much unusable after 36 holes.

Looking forward to trying out 'The Premium Ball' this weekend. Definitely going to feel robbed if it doesnt help though.

Anybody else found premium balls have drastically improved their games?

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

There are a few premium options out there for less money. You can pick up Taylormade TP/TPx online just now for about £25 a doz, often good offers on Z Stars and Bridgestone balls as well if you can still find them. The Mizuno tour ball is also very good and people on here rave about Vice balls although I've not tried them yet myself.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really like the Taylormade TP balls, go between them and the Pro V1, altho would like to try the new Chromesoft.

But in answer to the OP's question, no premium balls haven't improved my game, only I can do that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I occasionally use a premium ball, one that someone else has lost, and the difference is significant. If nothing else it makes you feel good but the feel off the face is noticeable. They also tend to be unfairly unmarked by the end of the round. If you are good enough to only use one or two balls a round then you should go for it. For the rest of us, lake balls it is!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been using exclusively premium balls for the last couple of years (in comps & during the season proper at least), mainly because at my current club and the previous one it is very challenging to lose them.

The biggest points for me are that you can get away with using less loft around the green and I am far more comfortable using a 56 than a 60 and then the feel off the putter.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
FG tours were a revelation compared to the ad-333s I was using.

That was a few years back now when I could actually play this game...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a while a go i had a lighbulb moment while playing and the ball stopping on a green using a prem ball was off 10 at the time.

def helped off the putter too, but i find now esp with irons and wedges, my ball striking is good enough to stop any old ball on all but the firmest quickest greens.

I used an old wilson last night, i found it while looking for my drive off the first, used it for the rest of the round and this was far from a prem ball

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always used premium balls for playing, I probably toss more balls away that I find in a round then I have in my bag, and that includes ProV's as well.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Taken the plunge and bought a dozen Pro V1x's after a little ball fitting. Felt a bit sick purchasing them but hey, im all for trying things to improve my game and I only lose maybe a ball a round on average at the most.

I used to be sceptical about shafts until I got my Project Xs and X stiff shaft in my driver. Both have Definitely helped me for the better and I can comfortably say have transformed my game - so changing to a premium ball must be worth a go ?!

until about 4 months ago I used whatever was on offer and was less than £14 a dozen, until I tried some Nike RZN Tour black balls. Love them off the driver, maybe fly a little low and are quite clicky with everything else, but they dont spin too much and for £20 a dozen they are easily the best balls I have ever had. Excellent Value but are pretty much unusable after 36 holes.

Looking forward to trying out 'The Premium Ball' this weekend. Definitely going to feel robbed if it doesnt help though.

Anybody else found premium balls have drastically improved their games?

Wouldn't be a Titliest ball fitting where they recommended the most expensive ball by any chance?;)

At my level I don't think it makes a great deal of difference, but I tend to try and get the best quality ball i can for 25 notes or under. You can usually pick up some decent ones at golf depot for that price range, plus the occasional sales the companies on the web have. I'd never pay full price for balls, especially Pro V1s as it's not worth it for me. I tend to favour the mid range ones like AD333 tours, TM Project As and the Chrome Softs where ever they are on sale, although I see the Chrome Softs are creeping up in price a bit now as they seem to be the premium ball in the Callaway range.

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you get the chance try the TM Project A I got a dozen for £20 and I think they are becoming more popular I love the feel and the spin is pretty good, in an open I tend to hit the TPx I just get a little bit of a lower flight with it, no idea why have always just thought that was a made up thing but it also spins a lot more off my driver so it only comes out if I'm feeling confident

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
The main thing for me is the spin around the greens and especially with 3/4 to full wedges. There's a few greens that are hard to hold at Merrist or shallow and it's definitely noticeable.

Theres also a so a certain feel with the driver, I can't explain it, it kind of feels heavy on impact, like you're hitting a ball that weighs twice as usual. When you get this feeling you know in a split second it's a great shot. I don't get this all the time but I don't get it at all with a cheaper ball.

Favorite off the driver is the prov1
favorite for spin is the TM tour preferred.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would never buy ProV1s when there are other equally good options available at much better prices and there is always an offer on. The TM TP-X is my current preference.

If you want ProVs however, try searching for logo overruns. We buy them as prizes for our society weekend and they are normally about £28 a dozen. You get a mixture of V1 and V1x but usually it's >95% standard V1.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Didn't titleist state there was only 4 yards between all their balls somewhere

Off the tee, yeah, I think it may have been 5 but basically no real difference.
And the amount of spin you produce off the tee from ball to ball is going to be similar for the same strike..
Put draw or slice spin on a premium ball and it'll go further left or right but not that dramatically.
It's on approaches and around the greens that you need to decide what you want from a ball.
And you don't need to spend loads to get it.