The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Yep - they want VAR to make the calls most of the time , and players are getting injured because of it

Before VAR it would have been a poor decision but with the tools in place and what was happening the ref just allows play to continue and VAR then checks to see if there is a foul - if there is the goal is disallowed , if there isn’t then Dortmund get the deserved goal - the commentary even said straight away they have no idea what he has seen there. It’s a decision that could cost Dortmund heavily and it’s a reason why VAR was brought in
Make your mind up, we don’t like Linesman keeping their flags down because someone could get injured in the ensuing seconds etc.

But we want Referee’s to wait blowing their whistle to see what happens!

I take it there’s no chance of a player being injured while we wait for Refs to blow.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Make your mind up, we don’t like Linesman keeping their flags down because someone could get injured in the ensuing seconds etc.

But we want Referee’s to wait blowing their whistle to see what happens!

I take it there’s no chance of a player being injured while we wait for Refs to blow.
It's the inconsistency though. Why direct the linesmen to wait on decisions so they can be reviewed, but not tell the ref the same thing? In my opinion he's made a double shocker - first shocking decision is to see it as a foul on Ederson, second shocking decision is to blow his whistle when he did, instead of waiting another 2 seconds until the ball had crossed the line, then VAR could simply have reviewed the goal for a potential foul.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's the inconsistency though. Why direct the linesmen to wait on decisions so they can be reviewed, but not tell the ref the same thing? In my opinion he's made a double shocker - first shocking decision is to see it as a foul on Ederson, second shocking decision is to blow his whistle when he did, instead of waiting another 2 seconds until the ball had crossed the line, then VAR could simply have reviewed the goal for a potential foul.
Two things:

1. The Linesmen are only directed to delay Offside decisions, not delay for fouls.

2. As stated, a Referee will not play an advantage against the Team fouled, so if he’d of thought Bellingham had been fouled he may of chosen to delay the whistle.

Mate, I totally agree it was the wrong decision, but that was only after trial by media, time and time again on here we get the media slated for having an agenda or causing problems in the game, but people are happy to use it when it proves their point.

Sometimes we should stand back and try to understand why some decisions are made.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two things:

1. The Linesmen are only directed to delay Offside decisions, not delay for fouls.

2. As stated, a Referee will not play an advantage against the Team fouled, so if he’d of thought Bellingham had been fouled he may of chosen to delay the whistle.

Mate, I totally agree it was the wrong decision, but that was only after trial by media, time and time again on here we get the media slated for having an agenda or causing problems in the game, but people are happy to use it when it proves their point.

Sometimes we should stand back and try to understand why some decisions are made.
It's just exhausting, so many times VAR is used pointlessly or badly, and then here is a situation where it could have been useful, but the ref has blundered it so it couldn't be used. It's annoying, but you're right, VAR was never going to cut out mistakes entirely.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's just exhausting, so many times VAR is used pointlessly or badly, and then here is a situation where it could have been useful, but the ref has blundered it so it couldn't be used. It's annoying, but you're right, VAR was never going to cut out mistakes entirely.
Totally agree, it should be used for everything or the so many appeals for each time as a few on here have suggested.

Current use is hideously flawed.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He’s not in a bad position though! He’s up with play and only sees it from one angle, he saw two players challenge for the ball and decides Bellingham kicked the keeper and blows for a foul, once he blows for this offence VAR cannot be used.

Yes from other angles he’s wrong, but he hasn’t purposely made a wrong decision, he’s made the decision he believes is correct at the time.
He guessed and got it wrong.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With a bit of luck Arteta might be informing his lazy charges that this is basically their cup final and bar 2 or 3 theyve been uttely awful, carrying on where they left off against Liverpool :(

No tempo, no pace, no desire, just going through the motions against a side happy to sit in and wait for the chance to be offered to them. Not being good enough is one thing, lack of effort another

Youd hope it cant get any worse...................

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems it can :( Get in front but just cant defend for toffee for 10 mins :( Prague going to be hard hard work now but hard to argue we deserve much more after being so insipid for 75 minutes

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Didn't bother watching. Have been watching the golf.

Arteta can't coach character. You either have it, or you don't. Very few Arsenal players have any character at all.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sky sports reporting Harry Kane expected to tell Spurs he wants to leave if they don’t qualify for the champs league. I get that but don’t that rock the cart before the end of the season.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sky sports reporting Harry Kane expected to tell Spurs he wants to leave if they don’t qualify for the champs league. I get that but don’t that rock the cart before the end of the season.

Im no spurs fan but accusing Kane of rocking the boat a bit harsh imo (plenty of stuff to accuse him of), especially based on some journo stories (unless Ive missed the Kane interview asking to leave?).