The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen City’s “offside” goal. It is one of the worst decisions I have seen this year and there’s some bad ones. It just about sums up everything that is wrong with football and it’s rules re offside
Worst decision how? You mean for her to put the flag up?

D

Deleted member 16999

Just seen City’s “offside” goal. It is one of the worst decisions I have seen this year and there’s some bad ones. It just about sums up everything that is wrong with football and it’s rules re offside
She put the flag correctly under this stupid direction for them to let play develop, she thought it was offside.

West Brom players failed to play to the whistle and VAR gave the correct decision upon checking if it was a goal or not.

Her actions were correct as she believed it was Offside and once again, players were at fault.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Schoolboy football, lesson 1 : play to the whistle

Very pleased for Moyes. He did a very fine job at Everton and then had a bumpy ride afterwards. He has found a good home at West Ham and both parties are clearly good for each other.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Schoolboy football, lesson 1 : play to the whistle

Very pleased for Moyes. He did a very fine job at Everton and then had a bumpy ride afterwards. He has found a good home at West Ham and both parties are clearly good for each other.

Plus the officials have been told to leave the flag down

Why was it raised? Var can decide that's the long of the blooming thing

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
She put the flag correctly under this stupid direction for them to let play develop, she thought it was offside.

West Brom players failed to play to the whistle and VAR gave the correct decision upon checking if it was a goal or not.

Her actions were correct as she believed it was Offside and once again, players were at fault.

For me the problem starts when she put the flag up. It’s a few seconds after the player has received the ball and then she flags, everyone has seen it and it kinda from that point it looked Half pace as play continues. The ref allows play to continue as per the rules ( and at this point where play continues someone is gonna get Injured ) Cancelo shoots and Scores. As per every goal it goes to VAR and it’s a goal. At the point of the flag being raised, again there is confusion amongst players coz they have not played to a whistle. Which I fully understand. So why do we have linespersons If VAR is going to review every goal scored. You don’t need them. The game flows yesterday and I doubt if City score.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me the problem starts when she put the flag up. It’s a few seconds after the player has received the ball and then she flags, everyone has seen it and it kinda from that point it looked Half pace as play continues. The ref allows play to continue as per the rules ( and at this point where play continues someone is gonna get Injured ) Cancelo shoots and Scores. As per every goal it goes to VAR and it’s a goal. At the point of the flag being raised, again there is confusion amongst players coz they have not played to a whistle. Which I fully understand. So why do we have linespersons If VAR is going to review every goal scored. You don’t need them. The game flows yesterday and I doubt if City score.

The ref assistant isn't just for offside

Does direction of throws

Alerts ref to bits they missed near them

Team effort

I think with var offside should be taken away from them

Tashyboy

Visit site
The ref assistant isn't just for offside

Does direction of throws

Alerts ref to bits they missed near them

Team effort

I think with var offside should be taken away from them

Exactly, as much as the players screwed up not playing to the whistle, the waters were muddied by the raising of a flag.

D

Deleted member 16999

You miss the point Tashy, first though, I hate the directive to wait to raise the flag.

If she’d of put the flag up immediately and she was wrong, City fans would be going mad.

If the ball had broke to a West Brom player and they’d played a long ball up front with a chance to score and the Ref blew his whistle, West Brom would of gone mad.

VAR did it’s job yesterday and remember VAR is limited as to when it can and can’t be used, ie, it’s not used for Offside if it don’t lead to a goal scoring opportunity.

Plus, we keep hearing about players are going to get injured, that’s a red herring, no player has yet been injured because the flag wasn’t raised and I doubt they will.

Pre VAR the Linesman would of been slaughtered, but I say again, the players were at fault.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly, as much as the players screwed up not playing to the whistle, the waters were muddied by the raising of a flag.

Thing is, if you've played football at any level, if the lines person puts their flag up then generally you stop as the ref will usually blow anyway. I don't ever recall a situation, in amateur football anyway, where a ref has over ruled a lino and said play on. As much as it pains me, I think when var is involved the lino needs to keep the flag down as this sort of situation arises.

D

Deleted member 16999

Thing is, if you've played football at any level, if the lines person puts their flag up then generally you stop as the ref will usually blow anyway. I don't ever recall a situation, in amateur football anyway, where a ref has over ruled a lino and said play on. As much as it pains me, I think when var is involved the lino needs to keep the flag down as this sort of situation arises.
To be fair though mate, Officials are not mic’d up at any level below the elite and therefore accept the Linesman’s decision.

In all seriousness how many times have you seen “Club” Linesman ignored?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair though mate, Officials are not mic’d up at any level below the elite and therefore accept the Linesman’s decision.

You could argue that makes it even worse.
Lino...he's offside.
Ref. Ok I'll blow and check

Instead it was...

Lino. he's offside
Ref. Tough, he's through on goal and the thicko defenders have stopped, besides we have VAR to get us out of jail ?

D

Deleted member 16999

You could argue that makes it even worse.
Lino...he's offside.
Ref. Ok I'll blow and check

Instead it was...

Lino. he's offside
Ref. Tough, he's through on goal and the thicko defenders have stopped, besides we have VAR to get us out of jail ?
I meant in relation to very other level.??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with this. She was wrong to raise the flag in line with how they've been told to do it this season - other linos have been keeping the flag down until the move is completely dead. She only waited until Bernardo got possession of the ball.

We've been complaining about the ones where it's quite clearly offside, I think the linos should still flag then to save any potential incidents - but this one was very tight, she should really have kept it down until the ball was in the net, then maybe raise the flag to say it needs to be reviewed for offside. I agree with you it is difficult, but players really need to play to the whistle more than ever these days - even after the whistle because decisions can be changed! Sam will be furious with his defenders on that one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rather than just slating the lines(wo)man, we should probably also praise the ref for allowing play to carry on rather than stop it for the 'offside' which would have been incorrect. So well done to him.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Exactly my thoughts Ori.
Rather than just slating the lines(wo)man, we should probably also praise the ref for allowing play to carry on rather than stop it for the 'offside' which would have been incorrect. So well done to him.

I for one am not nessasarily having a pop at her. After all if she is following the letter of the law. She is doing her/ the job correctly. For me what is wrong is the rule that says “ we do it this way”. Same as certain aspects of VAR and handball. How many posts have been written on this Premier league topic coz we all see it differently. Although some comments do have a hint of rose tinted glasses ?.
like you say the ref called it correctly.