The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

It's not the size, it's the strength of the back-up players isn't it? When City's first team are tired they can bring on 5 more world class players who are all being paid 100 grand a week. If the likes of Sheffield Utd or Burnley are making 5 subs then they're bringing on Championship players essentially.

That’s always going to be the case because of the relative resources of the clubs - but then Citys players will be playing twice as many games due to the European schedule - so it helps balance it out

It could also help player development with more teams bringing through Youth players

It’s an extra potential two players to come with a match day squad increasing to 20

Apparently 15 managers out of 20 are now in favour where as before it was 11 in favour

The EFL allow 5 , CL allow 5 - so why not the Prem.

Clearly people will look at their own teams and judge from the size/quality of their squad but we for example would be using a lot more youth and academy players

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s always going to be the case because of the relative resources of the clubs - but then Citys players will be playing twice as many games due to the European schedule - so it helps balance it out

It could also help player development with more teams bringing through Youth players

It’s an extra potential two players to come with a match day squad increasing to 20

Apparently 15 managers out of 20 are now in favour where as before it was 11 in favour

The EFL allow 5 , CL allow 5 - so why not the Prem.

Clearly people will look at their own teams and judge from the size/quality of their squad but we for example would be using a lot more youth and academy players

Maybe the rule should be they can only be used for Injuries and the extra players on bench may only be under 21s.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It’s blinding obvious that the richer clubs are going to benifit with 5 subs and is totally unfair, I’d be surprised if this was voted through I can see only negatives for the majority of clubs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe the rule should be they can only be used for Injuries and the extra players on bench may only be under 21s.
Lots of muscle tightening going to be happening to players have a stinker there :unsure:. Unfortunately you can not trust the honesty of footballer, coaches, managers etc so that one would not work. Fine if you could trust them.....

4LEX

Visit site
The 5 subs rule shouldn't happen. It won't protect players from injuries and will only be used as tactics to slow games down and generally ruin the flow of a game. The second part of last season really was some of the worst elite football ever seen and it was largely due to the water breaks and 5 subs being used that resulted in disjointed games with too many breaks.

Bigger clubs already have large squads to cope with injuries, now they're trying to gain another advantage. If the likes of Ole and Pep are worried about injuries, maybe don't play Rashford with a serious back injury (last season) to save your own skin or starting Ageuro in 3 games in a week after months out might help?

D

Deleted member 18588

Keep hearing about top clubs having bigger squads but I understood that all PL clubs are restricted to the same number of 25.

Obviously the top clubs are likely to have greater quality in their squads but that would be true if there was 15, 25 or 35 players.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Keep hearing about top clubs having bigger squads but I understood that all PL clubs are restricted to the same number of 25.

Obviously the top clubs are likely to have greater quality in their squads but that would be true if there was 15, 25 or 35 players.

Phil foden doesn't count as one of city's 25 players because of his age

We have same with rice but rest of our players are rubbish. Rest of citys aren't

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mourinho is a manager who has proven that he can win at the highest level when given the right backing

He does it his way - if the club had shown him the same sort of support they are showing OGS then UTD would be in a far better place right now

OGS is the worst UTD manager I have seen - he has zero credentials to be a manager at the highest level , so far out of his depth it’s amusing , it’s brilliant the way he manages to sneak a win every now and then to keep him going. He acts like he believes he is the reincarnation of Ferguson when talking to the media. I hope he stays for as long as he possibly can

Yet he finished 3rd in his first full season .....didn't Klopp take Liverpool to 8th ???

Thats tongue in cheek btw as that's all hes got on Klippety. I agree he needs to go. But, he is better than Moyes and LVG.

What i like about Klopp is that he continues to motivate and improve Liverpool . Most importantly, he signs player on character as well as skill. Players put in a real shift all over the pitch and that is what Liverpool fans demand. Believe it or not, Utd fans require the same.

OGS for some reason can't motivate the players to do that. Whist he tries to attack more than Moyes LVG and Jose did, hes tactically poor and we have a few bad characters in the squad. I've never seen a work rate so low at OT. Lets get the next one off the rank....probably Poch right ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Yet he finished 3rd in his first full season .....didn't Klopp take Liverpool to 8th ???
8th was the season he took from Rodgers - 4th was his first full season ?

Thats tongue in cheek btw as that's all hes got on Klippety. I agree he needs to go. But, he is better than Moyes and LVG.

What i like about Klopp is that he continues to motivate and improve Liverpool . Most importantly, he signs player on character as well as skill. Players put in a real shift all over the pitch and that is what Liverpool fans demand. Believe it or not, Utd fans require the same.

Definatly and it must very frustrating to watch - it should be the very bare minimum, effort and I think that’s why Pogba gets a lot of stick because he just looks like he doesn’t care at times , same with players like Martial - amazing talents but seems no motivation
OGS for some reason can't motivate the players to do that. Whist he tries to attack more than Moyes LVG and Jose did, hes tactically poor and we have a few bad characters in the squad. I've never seen a work rate so low at OT. Lets get the next one off the rank....probably Poch right ?

I just don’t think he commands the respect from the players because he hasn’t proven himself as a manager - maybe Poch isn’t the right man to take over but he would immediately demand more respect because he has shown he can do it. Then there is managers like Nagelsmann, Tuchel - some very good managers that you would expect a club like Man Utd to be looking at

D

Deleted member 1740

Not quite sure your point here because even with 5 subs he would have played.

Unless you are claiming the butterfly affect from the rest of the season caused all the other injuries meaning he had to play half fit

Best way to fix it would have been to ban international games this season.

Fair to everyone where as 5 subs mainly benefits the big clubs

The point is with 3 subs and a very hectic schedule there's a bigger chance of injuries so managers are reluctant to make subs incase they make 3 subs and end up with 1 or 2 injuries later on in the game leaving the teams with 9 or 10 players with 15 minutes to play.

Currently players are at a higher risk of injury than in a normal season due to lack of a pre season etc.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The point is with 3 subs and a very hectic schedule there's a bigger chance of injuries so managers are reluctant to make subs incase they make 3 subs and end up with 1 or 2 injuries later on in the game leaving the teams with 9 or 10 players with 15 minutes to play.

Currently players are at a higher risk of injury than in a normal season due to lack of a pre season etc.

yet the managers arent using their squads and rotating a lot of the players when they have a chance to

back to cake and eat it again

D

Deleted member 18588

Phil foden doesn't count as one of city's 25 players because of his age

We have same with rice but rest of our players are rubbish. Rest of citys aren't
There's nothing new in this.

The top clubs always have had an edge in having the better players and more of them.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Considering the extra harsh lockdown measures of tiers it sounds like some fans will be back under the tier system? 4000 in tier 1, 2000 tier 2.. or 50% whatever is lower.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Corona Virus thread, but I don't understand the new rules on fans attending sporting events. It seems as though they've picked an arbitrary number rather than base it on anything. Tier 1 - 4000 fans allowed to attend (or 50% capacity, whichever is lower). If Colchester and Manchester are both in Tier 1, Colchester would be allowed 4000 fans in their 10000 capacity stadium. Man Utd would be allowed 4000 in their 75000 (?) capacity stadium. Surely they would have been better in choosing a percentage of capacity rather than a set number. 4000 fans at Old Trafford are going to be far easier to distance than 4000 fans at Colchester.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Corona Virus thread, but I don't understand the new rules on fans attending sporting events. It seems as though they've picked an arbitrary number rather than base it on anything. Tier 1 - 4000 fans allowed to attend (or 50% capacity, whichever is lower). If Colchester and Manchester are both in Tier 1, Colchester would be allowed 4000 fans in their 10000 capacity stadium. Man Utd would be allowed 4000 in their 75000 (?) capacity stadium. Surely they would have been better in choosing a percentage of capacity rather than a set number. 4000 fans at Old Trafford are going to be far easier to distance than 4000 fans at Colchester.

something to do with being fair/equal to the different clubs and fans, as you say doesnt make a lot of sense at all

surely 10% of each stands capacity or similar would make more sense