The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
lol the clubs arent negotiating for a european super league, didnt demand more games in the early stages on the CL, arent going on well paid pre season jollies to the far east? yeah its not their fault lets blame the PL for choosing which days they play on tv. as i said, until they help themselves, stop blaming everyone else (but they will continue to)
The people who organise these matches for money aren’t the managers and players.

It’s not fair to say the teams brought it on themselves when it isn’t the men in suits who have to play more matches than they’re physically built for.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Managers could speak to their owners, reduce the number of games played or played on TV but it would mean significant wage cuts, reduced money to spend on transfers. They don't want that consequence so ultimately their moans are empty.

For what it's worth, I agree about the fixture congestion, the Wednesday night in Turkey, Saturday morning game on sky complaints. I just don't agree that the managers are toothless in this.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Managers could speak to their owners, reduce the number of games played or played on TV but it would mean significant wage cuts, reduced money to spend on transfers. They don't want that consequence so ultimately their moans are empty.

For what it's worth, I agree about the fixture congestion, the Wednesday night in Turkey, Saturday morning game on sky complaints. I just don't agree that the managers are toothless in this.
Very few teams have actual managers anymore; they’re head coaches and I think you overestimate their power.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don’t have any sympathy for a team playing midweek then weekend when it’s a reward for success, ideally every PL team wants to be in Europe.

My issue and the one I agree with Klopp about is the scheduling of those games on TV and BT and Sky not putting any thought in to it, I think every team around Europe playing in the CL this wednesday played on saturday except for Lpool.

We should be looking after the English teams, the FA/PL should insist on maximum times between the games for these Clubs.

Look at next week, Man Utd play Tues/Sun/Weds, Lpool play Weds/Sat(12:30)/Tues, City play Weds/Sat(15:00)/Tues, Chelsea play Tues/Sun/Weds absolutely no reason why all 4 teams playing in the CL can’t play saturday. Plus look at City and Lpool the following week, Lpool play at home in the CL and City away, if you’re going to help the team travelling (City) give them the early kick off on the weekend!

The Club friendlies are a red herring, they take place prior to the season even starting, Internationals are also a mute point as they impact all Clubs.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Very few teams have actual managers anymore; they’re head coaches and I think you overestimate their power.

Hurts this, but I agree!

They’re head coaches, and manage the owners players, who will want to display & distribute their brand as much and as far & wide as possible for as much visibility leading to as much commercial revenue as that can bring them.

Many owners will have the attitude, that, the head coaches have what they perceive to be an excellent squad of players, excellent training facilities, back room staff, etc, ‘so make it work’!

I don’t read or hear of many (or any) owners moaning or going on record about fixture congestion ?

D

Deleted member 18588

100%.

Even Fergie was finding some of his off field involvement being eroded in the years prior to his retirement.

Same with Wenger.

It's understandable as managers/head-coaches are invariably ex-players and have had little or no experience or training in the finances of clubs.

If it was any other industry the owners would not take someone from the shopfloor at age 40 and immediately make him CEO of a company turning over hundreds of millions.

D

Deleted member 15344

It was always going to be a very condensed season with a number of teams playing weekend then midweek then weekend - there wasn’t much of a pre season or indeed a break from the last season

The players who are playing European comps and the Prem are going to be flogged to death - the internationals should have been cancelled and then allowed a bit of breathing space at the very least not had three in the space of 10 days - games on Wed then sat morning , or a Sunday then a Tuesday - common sense in regards the arranging of games to try and help all teams. Teams are already losing players to injuries and it would be a shame to see comps won because a team had less injuries

Give the team the ability to have more subs , don’t arrange games for European teams either first thing on a Saturday or late on a Sunday - the managers will only be trying to look after their squad , the job given to them by the owners.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I am all for making sure teams have an the most time between games as posibble.

Am absolutely agaisnt 5 subs. Maybe during this hectic period, but once the fixtures thin out it only helps the bigs clubs.

Maybe if a clause was written such as being able to have 5 subs but you must start with 4 different players each game so as to make bigger clubs actually rotate form the start I'd agree. Otherwise big clubs will just start all the star players. Hope to get a decent lead then whip em all off and coast.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am all for making sure teams have an the most time between games as posibble.

Am absolutely agaisnt 5 subs. Maybe during this hectic period, but once the fixtures thin out it only helps the bigs clubs.

Maybe if a clause was written such as being able to have 5 subs but you must start with 4 different players each game so as to make bigger clubs actually rotate form the start I'd agree. Otherwise big clubs will just start all the star players. Hope to get a decent lead then whip em all off and coast.

Defo just benefits the big boys as those out of Europe get a decent rest.. normally don't the successful clubs have bigger squads to make up for it?

I agree with Phil international games should have been scrapt this year that would have allowed for a more rested season

Back to point a isn't that what used to happen to teams who qualified for Europa for first time (in the main) they had long seasons and not used to it with the squads and suffered I know we did and at first spurs did before they were top 4

D

Deleted member 15344

Every team has the same size squads and I don’t see how bringing in 5 subs favours any team - the “bigger” clubs will be playing in Europe so their players will play more so that balances out the other teams who maybe don’t have the same level through the squad but then their better players will play less games

D

Deleted member 16999

You can’t have it both ways! You can’t recruit from all corners of the globe and expect International Football to be binned because some teams in the PL are busy.

Different parts of the World have their season at different times! FIFA will see the World Cup and the qualifying for it as more important.

The international break/fixtures is a totally different discussion to BT & Sky not helping English Clubs in Europe.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Every team has the same size squads and I don’t see how bringing in 5 subs favours any team - the “bigger” clubs will be playing in Europe so their players will play more so that balances out the other teams who maybe don’t have the same level through the squad but then their better players will play less games
Bigger clubs always play in Europe and still do better.

Theres a reason the vote failed last time. Its the biggest clubs comparing the most as they'd get the most benefit from it.

The size of the squad isn't the issue. The standard of the subs is.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Because Liverpool and city's ,5 Subs can be super stars

Where as Fulham or Burnley may have say a half decent first team but the subs aren't the same standard

Look at Liverpool now you had Salah out, vvd out, Gomez out. TAA out. Henderson out

Yet could call upon kieta , wijnaldum milner

Also not all squad sizes are the same at all

You can name unlimited numbers of under 21s so teams who can afford to invest in good youth systems get more players to pick from so when injuries hit can call from youth to pad out the bench .

D

Deleted member 1740

I wonder what the PL would say if clubs started fielding under strength sides from the U21's etc in these round of PL matches.

Maybe if sky had shown Klopps full interview and debated it people would understand why they're asking for what they are.

D

Deleted member 1740

Because Liverpool and city's ,5 Subs can be super stars

Where as Fulham or Burnley may have say a half decent first team but the subs aren't the same standard

Look at Liverpool now you had Salah out, vvd out, Gomez out. TAA out. Henderson out

Yet could call upon kieta , wijnaldum milner

Also not all squad sizes are the same at all

You can name unlimited numbers of under 21s so teams who can afford to invest in good youth systems get more players to pick from so when injuries hit can call from youth to pad out the bench .

Yes and look what happened to him after being out for a while and playing 2 full 90 mins last week for his country.

Not the best comparison.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is just semantics. If Klopp or Pep wanted something to happen within their club it would likely happen. The managers / coaches could group together via the LMA and speak as one. They don't because ultimately that would affect the finances. They want to buy the best players in the world and to do that you need money. To get that you jump when the tv companies say so. They don't want to make that compromise.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes and look what happened to him after being out for a while and playing 2 full 90 mins last week for his country.

Not the best comparison.

Not quite sure your point here because even with 5 subs he would have played.

Unless you are claiming the butterfly affect from the rest of the season caused all the other injuries meaning he had to play half fit

Best way to fix it would have been to ban international games this season.

Fair to everyone where as 5 subs mainly benefits the big clubs

Fish

Banned
Visit site
That is just semantics. If Klopp or Pep wanted something to happen within their club it would likely happen. The managers / coaches could group together via the LMA and speak as one. They don't because ultimately that would affect the finances. They want to buy the best players in the world and to do that you need money. To get that you jump when the tv companies say so. They don't want to make that compromise.

So any public moaning they do is just lip service?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not the size, it's the strength of the back-up players isn't it? When City's first team are tired they can bring on 5 more world class players who are all being paid 100 grand a week. If the likes of Sheffield Utd or Burnley are making 5 subs then they're bringing on Championship players essentially.