Preferred lies in Operation on General area cut to fairway height

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have the above in operation at present. If a player marks and drops correctly NOT cut to fairway heigh, old money the rough, I expect he will not be penalised 3 strokes for picking up when he shouldn’t and a general penalty for playing from the wrong place but only 2 strokes.

Would somebody please clarify.

Thanks

wjemather

Visit site
We have the above in operation at present. If a player marks and drops correctly NOT cut to fairway heigh, old money the rough, I expect he will not be penalised 3 strokes for picking up when he shouldn’t and a general penalty for playing from the wrong place but only 2 strokes.

Thanks
Rule 1.3c: "When Breaches Resulted from a Single Act or Related Acts. The player gets only one penalty; but if the act or acts breached multiple Rules involving different penalties, the higher-level penalty applies"; i.e. two stroke penalty.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The ball should be placed, not dropped when taking preferred lies.

https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/committee-procedures/8e#e-3
After breaching Rule 9.4 when picking up his or her ball without authority, such as when the preferred lie Local Rule is not applicable (this case), a player can do a lot of silly things. Provided that the player replaces his ball at the original spot before making a stroke, most of those silly things will not result in a penalty of more than one stroke.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thanks

Where was the ball to start with?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure the OP was referring to a ball lying in the rough, not in a closely mown area. In which case, by lifting and dropping his ball he wasn't wrongly taking a preferred lie but simply lifting his ball without the authority of a rule. As such the fact the he dropped rather than placed is irrelevant. If corrects the error and replaces his ball before making a stroke, it's a one stroke penalty as Rule has said. If he makes a stroke, the penalty for moving his ball and for playing from the wrong place is two strokes or loss of hole.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm sure the OP was referring to a ball lying in the rough, not in a closely mown area. In which case, by lifting and dropping his ball he wasn't wrongly taking a preferred lie but simply lifting his ball without the authority of a rule. As such the fact the he dropped rather than placed is irrelevant. If corrects the error and replaces his ball before making a stroke, it's a one stroke penalty as Rule has said. If he makes a stroke, the penalty for moving his ball and for playing from the wrong place is two strokes or loss of hole.
OK. Sorry for any confusion. 1. He did place the ball. 2. The ball was in the rough which I said.

Moving on from OP what is the situation if the player does not realise he has breached a rule until after completion of the round? Does it make any difference as to the timing? e.g. cards handed in but not processed or competition closed?

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
OK. Sorry for any confusion. 1. He did place the ball. 2. The ball was in the rough which I said.

Moving on from OP what is the situation if the player does not realise he has breached a rule until after completion of the round? Does it make any difference as to the timing? e.g. cards handed in but not processed or competition closed?
If the player did not know that he or she had incurred the penalty -
before card is processed - Committee would add the penalty strokes to the player's hole score (Rule 3.3b(3)).
after competition is closed - no change to the player's score (Rule 20.2e(2)).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the player did not know that he or she had incurred the penalty -
before card is processed - Committee would add the penalty strokes to the player's hole score (Rule 3.3b(3)).
after competition is closed - no change to the player's score (Rule 20.2e(2)).

It is funny, my memory of when that exception was introduced was that it was for a rules infringement that the player may not be reasonably expected to be aware of (if you get my drift ) and was not intended to cover rules that the player should be reasonably aware of.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It is funny, my memory of when that exception was introduced was that it was for a rules infringement that the player may not be reasonably expected to be aware of (if you get my drift ) and was not intended to cover rules that the player should be reasonably aware of.
The Rules say "did not know". I'm not aware of anything that suggests "should or should not be reasonable expected to be aware of" (maybe you have a list? ;)). Rule 1.3b says, "Players are expected to recognize when they have breached a Rule...", but not all players meet that expectation!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Bear in mind too that the exception covers a breach of a rule that you may know full well but weren't aware of breaching at the time, such as catching some sand on your backswing in a bunker.