PowerPlay Golf - Any Good???

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I am right then this is the one played on a par 3 course with 2 flags. You can pick either the easier or harder flag and then score 1 or 2 points if you par the hole.

Personally did not enjoy it as none of our group were good enough to par many holes so did not score many points. Suppose you would need to apply your handicap to the course but not sure how you would do that on a 9 hole par 3 course

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Concept of pp golf is fine, but at my level, on any hole, just getting the 2nd or 3rd shot onto the green is 'good luck', so to me where they put the flag is irrelevant. Unless it's particularly undulating or 2 tier green.

I'm happy just to hit the green. How many of us can 'zero in' to within a few feet of the pin regularly anyway?

But as with night golf etc. It's worth doing at least once.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I thought the same as Haplesshacker, 'going at pins' is really only good for low handicappers, but i think i will give it a try.

www.powerplay-golf.com

With regards to handicap i play off 15 so devided by two gives me 8 shots on a par 3 nine hole, so no free shot on easiest hole.

Jules

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What's wrong with proper golf? I like it. Power play, no thanks. If people can't understand stableford, what chance is there with something more complicated.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I dont think its a replacement of your sunday round, its an evening/quick round, it is supposed to be the equivalent of 2020 cricket, for those with no time!. Nothing can substitute 18 glorious holes on a sunday. ;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Suppose it does not help that the par 3 course near me that is set up for Powerplay is bland, flat and featureless.
To be fair, if I want 9 holes of golf I play a proper 9 holes as opposed to something like this.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
We were doing this 15 years ago for fun, only difference it was it was for one day, choose either hole, etc, just a bit of club fun. Never caught on, though I quite liked it...
I don't think the idea is for ordinary players to attack certain pins, there's just two holes when you get down there???? or am I underestimating all the folks that hit only 10% GIR?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This will sound flash but I actually play with the National Champion. He is off 3 so I suppose it must suit lower handicaps?

Even tho Dave is a member,we are not running a comp this year due to lack of interest so he cant defend.

Probably tells you all you need to know.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

Played Powerplay last night, was good fun, even tho goingfor the black flags was more luck than judgement, we play off 15 and 21 respectively, so 'going at the black flag' wasnt really applicable, i hit 4 GIR but seemed to select the farthest flag away!, when hitting into a 185 yard par 3 i am pleased to hit the green,(which i did) but next to wrong flag! It was complicated to score with handicaps etc, but did give a good competitive edge to the game for an evening round, i would recommend trying once as it was fun, if fairly irrelevant to our handicap level.

Old Windy, No worries about the hijack!, The sixteesix looks like a good idea, dont really see it catching on tho, its looks like a pairs betterball-matchplay over 6 holes, you could turn up pay your money and get beaten after 4 holes having only played a handful of shots. I think i would prefer Powerplay or straightforward 9 holes.

Julz.