Police use dead childrens identities!!!!!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It is being reported that police have used the identities of 42 dead children WITHOUT the parents knowledge!!

Parents concerned will NOT be informed whether their children's identities are or have been used to protect the undercover officers.

I can understand the bigger picture here, but, morally that's just not right, is it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23324783#TWEET823064

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Old news that they used them.

While a bit iffy (why not simply invent the names), I don't have a problem with what the Police have done - in this case. Had they contributed to the deaths in order to use the name, then that would be a different story!

Seems to me like the golfing analogy 'I haven't seen that before; it must be a breach!', if slightly more distasteful.

Certainly understand that they wouldn't generally make known the names of their undercover officers.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Old news that they used them.

While a bit iffy (why not simply invent the names),

I'd not seen it before.

I'm sure they have everything available to them to create identities without having to do this, surely.

SwingSlow

Head Pro
Visit site
I first read about the technique in Frederick Forsyth's novel "Day of the Jackal" published over 40 years ago, so hardly a revelation in terms of how to do it. I doubt that Forsyth made it up.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can't just make up or add a birth record hence the need to do this.

It's a little ghoulish but they were not doing it for the craic. It served a purpose and did no harm to the children or their parents. Want someone to blame, how about the criminals that necessitate police going undercover in the first place?

blackpuddinmonster

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can't just make up or add a birth record hence the need to do this.

It's a little ghoulish but they were not doing it for the craic. It served a purpose and did no harm to the children or their parents. Want someone to blame, how about the criminals that necessitate police going undercover in the first place?

:thup:

Don't understand the concerns here.
Unless the parents of the children, whose identities are being used, are informed they will be non the wiser.
There are plenty of people knocking about with the same name as me, but i don't think "wonder if we are related" every time i come across someone.
Its like the headlines "undercover cop behaves exactly the same as the people/group they're trying to infiltrate". Shock, horror, what do these people expect ??
Its a dirty buisness, but unfortunatly a necessary one, if convictions are going to be achieved.
Whats worse. A copper using a dead childs id, or a drug dealer getting your child hooked on drugs ?