Point ball last crossed the hazard

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Following on from my previous post titled "Sigh", I was wondering how you should/do go about identifying the point a ball last crossed the line of a Lateral Water Hazard (specifically a ditch) when the hazard is out of sight.

I am sure that most people just measure 2 club lengths from where the ball is at rest but this is almost certainly not the point at which the ball crossed. In most cases the ball is going to enter the hazard behind where it stops but how do determine how far behind? What if you hit a tree and the point in last crossed is in front of the balls resting position? What if your ball crosses the hazard, hits a tree and enters the hazard from the other side?

It seems to me that it is impossible to get this right,so how should one proceed?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
When I've played and the ball has been watched going into the hazard , most people have discussed the likely angle that the ball was travelling on and where it was likely to have entered to finish where it did

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I've played and the ball has been watched going into the hazard , most people have discussed the likely angle that the ball was travelling on and where it was likely to have entered to finish where it did

Effectively this /\ /\

Unless it clattered around in trees, you know where the ball is, and roughly the line it was travelling, so can work out roughly where last crossed. Which is effectively what Bob said - best guess. Can't do otherwise can you? (And of course you're beggared if the hazard has water flowing fast enough to move the ball ).

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Effectively this /\ /\

Unless it clattered around in trees, you know where the ball is, and roughly the line it was travelling, so can work out roughly where last crossed. Which is effectively what Bob said - best guess. Can't do otherwise can you? (And of course you're beggared if the hazard has water flowing fast enough to move the ball ).

That is what I do, but after Saturday, I rather suspect most people just use the ball's final resting position.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is often (mostly) impossible to get it exactly right. It's almost always an estimate. But it's stretching it to say that - as the estimate of crossing point its almost always going to be wrong - I might as well take my position from where the ball ended up. That is probably the least likely crossing point - even though it will likely be the most advantageous to the player. At least accept a position less than the most advantageous.

In my experience it is actually rare for a player to do what you suggest - that is - use the final resting place.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Often gets severely abused if its something bigger than a ditch where it is immediately obvious. Especially if its a massive lake on an angle people steal yardage.