Plumber/ Heating engineer help - Combi Boiler top up question - low system pressure

U

User62651

Wow.

I'd disconnect the filling loop (silver braided pipe) at the opposite end to the isolation valve, get a bucket then open the valve with your flat head screwdriver and make sure your getting water through the valve.

if that doesnt work then call a profesional out.

Took filling loop off as you said and no clean mains water at all, so took the braided pipe off at the other end too (thinking in case that pipe was blocked) but pipe is clear. Nothing comes out of that red tap valve when opened. Took the handle off to check the mechanism was turning correctly and it is.

At the other end the t-piece valve works ok - lets pressurised dirty system water out.

Seems that red wheel valve is not letting mains water past, can't see any other valves that could be opened up the line unless that old tap valve near the ceiling is defective.

Air lock?

Something is amiss, time to get a heating engineer I think.:(

Out of interest what does that little hex nut (circled red) do - is it just a hole to let air locks out or to drain water out?

IMG_20190309_163454.jpg

D

Deleted member 1740

Took filling loop off as you said and no clean mains water at all, so took the braided pipe off at the other end too (thinking in case that pipe was blocked) but pipe is clear. Nothing comes out of that red tap valve when opened. Took the handle off to check the mechanism was turning correctly and it is.

At the other end the t-piece valve works ok - lets pressurised dirty system water out.

Seems that red wheel valve is not letting mains water past, can't see any other valves that could be opened up the line unless that old tap valve near the ceiling is defective.

Air lock?

Something is amiss, time to get a heating engineer I think.:(

Out of interest what does that little hex nut (circled red) do - is it just a hole to let air locks out or to drain water out?

View attachment 26746

That is a Non Return Valve. Lets water through but nothing back mainly to stop contamination.

Have you opened the other isolation valve (the 1 i circled)with the loop connected?

U

User62651

That is a Non Return Valve. Lets water through but nothing back mainly to stop contamination.

Have you opened the other isolation valve (the 1 i circled)with the loop connected?

Yes, the one on the t-piece you circled pink works fine, colour of water not pretty.

D

Deleted member 1740

Yes, the one on the t-piece you circled pink works fine, colour of water not pretty.

Ok, either the NRV is faulty, gate valve is jammed or both. either go to screwfix and buy a new filling loop and remove both the NRV and gate valve or ring a pro

U

User62651

Ok, either the NRV is faulty, gate valve is jammed or both. either go to screwfix and buy a new filling loop and remove both the NRV and gate valve or ring a pro

thanks for your help.