Playing the ball above your feet.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Recently I've found myself with lots of lies where the ball is either below or above my feet. For some reason ball below the feet seems pretty easy to play, but I'm really struggling with playing the shot with any consistency when the ball is above my feet.

I generally grip down the shaft around an inch to two inches if its majorly above my feet, try and stand a little straighter or more plight as such, but consistency is a really hit and miss with results that are at very best below average.

Does anyone have any times to improve consistency and quality of strike for playing these types of shots.

Many thanks.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have always took the slope up or down into consideration for the direction

i.e upslope sends shot more to the left and downslope sends the ball more to the right

That's about it really adjust stance and club to suit

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have always took the slope up or down into consideration for the direction

i.e upslope sends shot more to the left and downslope sends the ball more to the right

That's about it really adjust stance and club to suit

It's not so much the direction as I always take this into account, it's the consistency of strike quality and the result.

For example if I was 140/145 from the pin and the ball was 2 inches below my feet, I'd effectively set up for the left of the green account for a slight fade, and expect a 90% success rate if not more in pulling that shot off.

Now reverse it and give me the same shot with the ball above my feet, I'd be lucky to pull off 1 in 5, instead of 9/10. I'd be short with a miss area about the size of the isle of white with a contact area on the club face being anywhere a hosle rocket and toe

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's not so much the direction as I always take this into account, it's the consistency of strike quality and the result.

For example if I was 140/145 from the pin and the ball was 2 inches below my feet, I'd effectively set up for the left of the green account for a slight fade, and expect a 90% success rate if not more in pulling that shot off.

Now reverse it and give me the same shot with the ball above my feet, I'd be lucky to pull off 1 in 5, instead of 9/10. I'd be short with a miss area about the size of the isle of white with a contact area on the club face being anywhere a hosle rocket and toe

I am sure I read that in the PGA from 100yards the BEST average for greens hit is roughly 75% so from 140 yards as an amateur, on an up or down slope, at best your looking at an average of 25% - also if your hitting 90% from that distance with the ball belw your feet then you need to sharpen up your putting cos your going on tour soon!! :whoo:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am sure I read that in the PGA from 100yards the BEST average for greens hit is roughly 75% so from 140 yards as an amateur, on an up or down slope, at best your looking at an average of 25% - also if your hitting 90% from that distance with the ball belw your feet then you need to sharpen up your putting cos your going on tour soon!! :whoo:

Sweet, let's just hope I get no lies where the ball is above my feet ;)

Back to the op.........

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sweet, let's just hope I get no lies where the ball is above my feet ;)

Back to the op.........

i don't mind the ball above my feet as i hit a draw anyway so just aim further right and ike you grip down the shaft how ever far the ball is below. I also tend to stand up straighterdepending on the slope.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We have a par 5 that after your initial drive, every stroke after that the ball will be above your feet, I hate the hole.

I've now changed my whole approach to it now and play 2 x 6irons after my drive rather than attempting to hit a long 2nd shot with a wood, hybrid or long iron.

If its a particular hole Barry, why not look at the hole in reverse and work out what your best club would be into the green and then work back to the tee.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where are you putting the most of your weight? I was told for this shot you need to be putting most of your weight into your toes. I also tend to really focus on keeping my head as still as possible.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where are you putting the most of your weight? I was told for this shot you need to be putting most of your weight into your toes. I also tend to really focus on keeping my head as still as possible.

This could be the issue, I turns to attend a little straight legged and from memory most of the weight is on my heels

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Oh woody you clever little sausage. I hit the range today for an hour and we have a wedge shaped thingy that you can spin to vary your lie, set it up for ball above my feet, wait on toes and whooooosh, problem solved,,

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If it's quite a slope then you'll need to take an extra club (or two) as you're gripping down so won't have the same club head speed.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just the one obsevation OS...... If you say that you have no issue with the ball below the feet then i would hazard a guess that your a two plane swinger.....
Not to get too technical but This shots is easier for someone that has an up and down swing movement rather than a more rounded swing (Flat if you will)...

A player with a flatter or flattish swing plane ( More one plane ) will prefer hitting a ball above their feet as the swing is on a flatter plane....Its mors around the body....
This is more the way i swing....I struggle with balls below my feet at times..... But the one above my feet i have no issue with...It feels more natural to me to hit it.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh woody you clever little sausage. I hit the range today for an hour and we have a wedge shaped thingy that you can spin to vary your lie, set it up for ball above my feet, wait on toes and whooooosh, problem solved,,

Excellent! :) Always astounds me the tiniest of changes in golf that make such differences.