Playing golf with back pain

Reeves Weedon

Visit site
Research out of Michigan State university.
Thorax to pelvis rotation separation angle(to us golfers the X-Factor) was substantially lower in the Lower body swing than the traditional Modern swing technique(at top of back swing and during impact).
There could be a solution!!!
It might not be (that old record)that we are applying bad mechanics.It could be that the mechanics we are paying for are causing back pain😡🏌🏿

D

Deleted member 1147

Any chance of putting it in layman’s terms?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It might not be (that old record)that we are applying bad mechanics.It could be that the mechanics we are paying for are causing back pain😡🏌🏿
Or that we are trying to achieve something that our bodies are not (instantly) capable of.

Btw. I believe the 'with' in the title should either be 'causing' or simply a slash (/)! Playing golf with back pain is not, generally, a recommended actvity, though addicts (and Tiger) still try!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's another reason to go down the One Plane Swing route, as advocated by Jim Hardy.
The One Plane Swing has no lateral weight shift, it is more centred with the arms swinging around the body like a baseball swing.
Hunter Mahan, Matt Kuchar, Jason Dufner are One Plane Swingers.
Keegan Bradley, Phil Mickleson are Two Plane Swingers.
Jim Hardy mentions in his book that some golfers have switched from 2 Plane to One Plane due to bad backs.
Keegan Bradley will suffer with a bad back as his X factor, the separation between hips and shoulders at the start of the downswing is massive.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's another reason to go down the One Plane Swing route, as advocated by Jim Hardy.
The One Plane Swing has no lateral weight shift, it is more centred with the arms swinging around the body like a baseball swing.
Hunter Mahan, Matt Kuchar, Jason Dufner are One Plane Swingers.
Keegan Bradley, Phil Mickleson are Two Plane Swingers.
Jim Hardy mentions in his book that some golfers have switched from 2 Plane to One Plane due to bad backs.
Keegan Bradley will suffer with a bad back as his X factor, the separation between hips and shoulders at the start of the downswing is massive.
H'mm! Tiger Woods is a one-planer!!

And while switching from 2 to 1 plane might relieve symptoms for those with back issues, I'm sceptical about whether having a 2-plane swing is a 'cause' of back issues. To me, it's the particular golfer's build, musculature and exercise routine that's likely to prevent (or not) back issues!

Btw. Hardy is not so much an 'advocate' of a One Plane Swing (over 2-plane) as the guy who described it, thus popularising it. He, modestly, gives credit to/quotes John Jacobs for properly describing 'the sole purpose of a golf swing is to provide a correct, repeatable impact. The method employed is of no significance as long as it is correct and repetitive' And he's quite happy to teach 2-planers, as opposed to 'converting' them to 1-planers!

Last edited:

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
H'mm! Tiger Woods is a one-planer!!

And while switching from 2 to 1 plane might relieve symptoms for those with back issues, I'm sceptical about whether having a 2-plane swing is a 'cause' of back issues. To me, it's the particular golfer's build, musculature and exercise routine that's likely to prevent (or not) back issues!

I believe Tiger for the majority of time his swing was 2 Plane, he's only recently switched more to a similar 1 Plane, but I wouldn't class him as a pure 1 planer