playing for money

Mandofred

Visit site
I would prefer not to play golf for money.....or at least a trivial amount (I consider £5 to be a bit much). But.....the rollups always play for money, either £2 or £5, and I seem to be the only person in the country who still brings coins. I go to the bank every once in a while and get a bunch of Pound and 50P coins JUST for golf. Anybody know of a way these groups can still gamble their money away.....in a cashless procedure? It's not the same without cash, but people just don't have "money" anymore. We had a young guy show up to our rollup for the first time on Sunday, and when told he needed £5 to play, he just looked astonished and said "I don't have money...I never need it"....and then asked if there was a cash machine in the pro shop:LOL:. Time for things to change, and golfers don't change very easily.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our swindle is organised through a WhatsApp group and we all pay a nominal fee via online banking at the start of the season. The organiser keeps a track of who has won what and gives back the winnings as applicable at the end of the season. Primarily though, it is golf with mates and the money is just something to play for.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I cant take credit for this, but think its marvellous so have a go.

At ours we nominate a charity thst we more or less all agree on, this year its macmillan, at the end of each round everyone donates there losses to charity, so in effect if you win front, back and overall you donate nothing, and all the donations go in under your name, if you play terribly, you donate your £3 to charity and get a warm feeling inside.

D

Deleted member 29109

Why do you need to go to the bank? Just get some cashback when in a shop.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our roll ups is usually £1 in the kitty and then MP between the 4 ball as 4BBB an £1,£1,£1, but since lock down its just done on a spread sheet, all virtual still at the moment, we even had a few months of all the games were for one million.. again virtual

RichA

Visit site
When I meet up with my old man, every week or so, we always go for a coffee at some point in the day. I pay contactless and he always insists on giving me a fiver. It goes straight into my golf bag to pay for comps. It's the only time I've used cash in the last 18 months.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would hate to be without money 'just in case'. I always keep some in the car and some in the phone case and have needed it more than once when the wallet has been left at home. I also keep some in the locker just for rollups and the occasional time I cannot find my bar card.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, cash is basically dead. I genuinely can't remember the last time I took money out of a cash machine. One minor plus of the pandemic is that more shops than ever started taking card when they didn't before, so there's almost no need for cash anywhere now. If I do have cash I spend it far too quickly, since if it's not in my bank account, it feels like I've already spent it anyway.

I don't play in a roll-up but generally my friends and I use bank transfers for everything. Prime example being badminton, I always book the courts, and they transfer me £5 for each time they play.

Our club uses our club accounts for competition entries, i.e. the same account we use for the bar. So you just top that up whenever, and your drinks and comp entries are charged off of there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One area I totally insist on cash is selling stuff via facebook or similar.

A couple of people have asked if they could do a bank transfer but my understanding is bank transfers can be reversed so I say no.

Similarly if I am buying that way I always give sellers cash.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

A couple of people have asked if they could do a bank transfer but my understanding is bank transfers can be reversed so I say no.

If you tell people it's cash though they turn up and think they can haggle. "We agreed 100" "Oh I've only got 80 on me, would you take that?" Err no.. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 29109

Bank transfers cannot be recalled. I never do PayPal as that is open to being scammed.

Don't want cash as it could be fake and is a pain to get rid of.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bank transfers cannot be recalled. I never do PayPal as that is open to being scammed.

Don't want cash as it could be fake and is a pain to get rid of.
Yep... if someone pays you direct by BACS (i.e. where they do a transfer to you using internet bank/App) it cannot be recalled. PayPal is a minefield where there is a dispute.

and if the money comes from an account that has been defrauded............

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you tell people it's cash though they turn up and think they can haggle. "We agreed 100" "Oh I've only got 80 on me, would you take that?" Err no.. :LOL:

I usually stand my ground. I am virtually always more concerned with how much I get for an item than how quickly it sells.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
and if the money comes from an account that has been defrauded............

You mean "someone has managed to access someone else's account and issued online transfers from it??

Depends on the circumstances in which you accepted it. I the normal course of business, you are protected. I also think that if I manage to access someone's account, I am going to do a bit more than nip round and buy a second hand driver off the local small ads with it. So the chances of a problem are very small... that said, if I was selling a £30K car, I would still be doing additional checks.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn’t play in a rollup if the entry was £5 - I pay enough for my golf as it is and £5 from each player would create a pot to be won that IMO would be too large and would encourage ‘dodgy practice‘.

In life, never mind in golf, when amounts of money more significant than a notional amount are at stake then behaviour of some individuals can become questionable. £1 a head in the pot is plenty.

As our rollup comp usually qualifies as a WHS round it is set up on our system, and our entries are using our tee booking and comp system. As a competition, the system pulls our entry £1 from our club shop account and any winnings are credited to it.

Last edited: