Playing custom fit clubs, not fitted to you

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Noticable or not?

Some of the custom fitting I have seen is so minor it surely could make a drastic difference between players ..... Could it?

As an example. My friend and I went to the range at lunch to try his new MP69's (Very nice BTW :thup: )

Apparently had them custom fitted to his spec, that being 1* upright and 1/2" longer.

I hit a few with a 7 and 6 iron and, TBF, noticed no difference to my own, off-the-shelf, set.

Bearing in mind I've never been custom fit, so really have no idea what I'm talking about.

A) Is that much of an adjustment from standard (1* up, 1/2 longer)?

and

B) is it worth it for such minor adjustments?

Any thoughts?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easiest answer is that there is no 'standard' so how do you know that his custom fit is not the same as your off the shelf for another set ?

DCB

Visit site
Assuming that your mate has found his ideal shaft then I don't really think the 1° upright alteration will make that much difference. He's already had them extended by 0.5" which is probably more critical if hes a taller guy.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Easiest answer is that there is no 'standard' so how do you know that his custom fit is not the same as your off the shelf for another set ?

I get what you mean BT.

As an example TM standard loft and lie will be different to Mizuno, who will be different to Calaway and so on.

My point being, is 1* upright coupled with 1/2" added length going to make that much of a difference compared to off the shelf like for like MP69's?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When I got fitted for MP58's a few years back I found a difference between standard and 1* flat - which is what I came away with.
I was definitely straighter with the flatter lie than standard - although I wasn't that bad with the standard set-up.
It certainly made a difference to me but I can see it being tricky to tell a difference if you didn't know.....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought some Mizunos 1/2" longer and 2 degrees upright.

I was fairly confident as that was my fitting from Mizuno 15 years ago. :)

Length can be a problem I guess. A degree or two here or there, less so.

I had a crack with some white dot Pings last week. No problem at all. Then again, white dot is 3 degrees up and already said I can definitely take upright clubs.

Only problems I can see would be using upright irons if your "real" fit was flat or vice versa.

A

Alex1975

Not a huge difference, I would think the extra 1/2" is more noticeable than the 1* up though. The custom that would make a dffernce are as you know, the shaft flex and weight, the other bit is fine tuning unless you have very short or long arms or legs.

I was fitted with standard loft and lie but the fitter was right on the cusp of going 1* flat. I just bought some clubs from Rick that are 1* flat so it fits my profile, if they were 1* up I would be looking to have them bent back to standard or 1* flat. Its a small thing but it can help you find the sweet spot..... if it ever stops ******** RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm sorry about that.....:eek:

hangukgenius

Club Champion
Visit site
I would say a lot of getting custome fitted clubs is psychological. If you know you have the clubs for your game, then your automatically have more confidence.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many moons ago I was fitted for Ping. it was .25 inch shorter, .5* flat. So close to standard, thats what I use. Mind you I find Taylor Made standard lie is a tad flatter than most. Most likely why I like there irons!

Shame the Drivers cannot be got in different lies. Could do with a flatter lie on them. Save the toe being up at address.

Last edited: