Play more golf memberships

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi
Have any of you guys got any experience or opinions on the "play more golf" memberships?
There are a couple of clubs in my area that are involved in it.
I am recently just returning to golf after around 4 years out and with a new baby due next week funds will be tight for the foreseeable.
I'd like to play a bit more competitively than just social golf and it would be nice to get a handicap again so this looks like it could possibly be a good way to go.
Any opinions or experience with the company/set up etc gratefully received.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi
Have any of you guys got any experience or opinions on the "play more golf" memberships?
I am recently just returning to golf after around 4 years out and with a new baby due next week funds will be tight for the foreseeable.
I'd like to play a bit more competitively than just social golf and it would be nice to get a handicap again so this looks like it could possibly be a good way to go.

Some ok courses there. Not had any experience of the company but if money and chances to play are tight then why not and then top up points as we got into next year and longer nights return

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

I joined in in the summer with my brother and 2 friends have joined since

works really well for us as you can get benefits of the membership a cheaper price. We play every other weekend so wouldn't get the value out of a full membership

we get treated well around the club so nothing to complain about

I would check in advance that you like the course and that you will be able to book the tee off times you want and how many points it costs per round (e.g. In the summer a weekend round is 8 points before 11am or 6 after so unless one of us needs an early start we tee off at 11.03am if we can!

anything else you want to know I be happy to help if I can

make sure you get a points deal to start and refer a friend (easy 10 points extra)

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My membership was like £100 to join and then I only pay each time I play. For somebody who can only play at the weekend (no time for golf in the week due to long commute) it works out great for me. I still get a CONGU handicap, entrance into all competitions and I can play as many away day courses as I like without feeling guilty that I'm already spending £100 a month on a membership.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Cheers guys. Sounds ideal for me at this stage.
I know 2 of the courses well, just a case of finding out how easy or difficult it is getting a game with members as I will most likely be joining on my own and that will have a big say in which one I decide to join.
Thanks again.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
On Tour is the guy to ask, it works for him.

It does 👍

Works at Ullesthorpe for me, 8pts on a comp day £24 but free's up at least a grand to wonder around the midlands playing opens, medals, pairs etc. Only downside for me is the 20 away points. I really don't want to be pushed into playing friendly golf at £4 a point. The matrix works great for off peak times.

Winter golf its mega cheap on the matrix.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I nearly joined the scheme at my old course, Linden Hall in Northumberland. I had been a member there for two years but the membership I was on was limited and I wanted to play comps. I looked into Playmore quite a bit to find the catch but there was not one. The key is how many points your course needs to play a round. Linden was low so the scheme made great sense. At other courses, less so. I've spoken to a few people now who are on the scheme and it really does what it says and they feel fully part of the their clubs.

In the end I joined another club but if I had to move again I would most likely go back to Linden on the Playmore scheme.

One tip for you, if you are thinking of joining then register with them. They are always doing joining offers so you get extra points when you join and they will email the offers across. They also have a referral scheme for new members which gain you extra points so find someone, perhaps on here, and you both win. Either way you should be able to get more than the standard amount of points when you sign up.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It does 👍

Works at Ullesthorpe for me, 8pts on a comp day £24 but free's up at least a grand to wonder around the midlands playing opens, medals, pairs etc. Only downside for me is the 20 away points. I really don't want to be pushed into playing friendly golf at £4 a point. The matrix works great for off peak times.

Winter golf its mega cheap on the matrix.

The away points are a bit off putting if I'm honest.
Studley wood is 12pts on the days that I am likely to play which seems a lot.
Plenty to think about.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Studley wood and hadden hill.
I know Studley is the better course, just weighing up cost etc as its more points to play it.

take a close look at how busy studley gets and whether you will be able to get a game regularly when you want, it become a very busy golf course. some of the guys i know from when i was a member have gone down the road to magnolia park as far easier to get a game when you want. always been a very friendly welcoming place to play

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
take a close look at how busy studley gets and whether you will be able to get a game regularly when you want, it become a very busy golf course. some of the guys i know from when i was a member have gone down the road to magnolia park as far easier to get a game when you want. always been a very friendly welcoming place to play

Good shout. A guy at work is a member at studley so I am planning on bending his ear a bit.
In terms of quality it is much better than hadden hill but if its tough to get a game then probably not worth it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm looking at a course near me that does this. Congo H/c maintained. Enough points for 12 weekend comps leaving £500 to play when and where I please. What to do what to do......

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I've been a PMG member for the last 12 months. My local course is Wycwhood Park near Crewe in Cheshire.

IMO the PMG membership isn't designed for competitive weekend golf, it's meant for those who can't or don't play golf every weekend and just play social rounds when the weather is nice or in the evenings in the summer.

You need to check what the peak and off peak rates are for playing your 'home' course but I can't imagine them been much different to Wychwood. You pay £325 for 100 points so that's £3.25 per point.

If you play in the evenings in the summer after 5pm it's only 2 points per round which is great (£6.50 for a round of golf!) I think it's 4 or 5 points after 3pm which is still very good.

However, as I found out, if you want to play in some comps as you said then that'll be 8 points. So that works out at £26 plus your £5 entry so £31 per comp which in real terms is more expensive that someone playing them on a full membership. Say you play 2 comps a month that's £62 a month and 16 points off your total excluding any social rounds that you do.

Bare in mind you only get 80 "home" points, 20 of your points are away points to be used at any other de-vere course and you can't swap them. So on that basis you can only do 10 comps again excluding if you play any other social rounds. On that basis the membership would last you about 5 months.

When I took out the PMG membership I didn't count on me becoming so obsessed with the game and playing as much as I did and more importantly, when I did. I started playing pretty much every weekend at peak time and just burnt through my points in no time whatsoever. When I actually worked it out it was much easier to become a full member and that was at a course that is nearly £1000 a year. A full membership is £78 a month so I've only really got to play in 3 competitions to get my money's worth excluding any other social rounds I play with my friends which I do of course.

So in summary if you play now and again when the weather is nice or even an odd game through the winter but are able to play twilight rounds in the summer then they're worth it. If you're going to play at weekends at peak times then they aren't.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Studley is definitely a lot better course than Hadden Hill, but it can get busy there that is true.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
The away points are a bit off putting if I'm honest.
Studley wood is 12pts on the days that I am likely to play which seems a lot.
Plenty to think about.

They had an offer till yesterday if you renewed they would convert the 20 away points to home points. So when I renew in march I'm going to ask if this can be done 👍 giving me a few extra comps.

As said this isn't for the golfer who wants to play twice a week etc but works for the guy who wants his handicap maintained and plays away days more than at home

I've got a spread sheet I spent £1600 last year and currently at £1100 this year with a few winter series events left.

Works for me 👏

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After much thought I signed up for this, and so far so good! I tried looking around online for reviews, but found very little.

Others have stated most of the benefits/pit falls so I'll just go with what I've found, from my experience.

They have more offers than dfs, which means you always get more than the 80/20 home away split. I managed to get 100/20 which depending on when you play could be up to 5 18 hole rounds extra.

Booking is so easy, (I'm not sure if others are the same) we book through pmg for social rounds and through the club for competitions.

I think we're only allowed to play 12 Weekend comps a year, and you cannot win a club major. You are allowed to win all midweek comps (except the first 3 you play in)

I have had problems logging in my score through the computer, don't know whether it's a pmg thing or the club. No major hassle as you just write down on the card that it wouldn't let you enter the card.

Overall it suits me right now, I only play in the comps as I play most of my social golf at a local muni.

Biggest thing i think, is if you plan on playing more than once a week or mainly at weekends then I don't think this is for you

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After much thought I signed up for this, and so far so good! I tried looking around online for reviews, but found very little.

Others have stated most of the benefits/pit falls so I'll just go with what I've found, from my experience.

They have more offers than dfs, which means you always get more than the 80/20 home away split. I managed to get 100/20 which depending on when you play could be up to 5 18 hole rounds extra.

Booking is so easy, (I'm not sure if others are the same) we book through pmg for social rounds and through the club for competitions.

I think we're only allowed to play 12 Weekend comps a year, and you cannot win a club major. You are allowed to win all midweek comps (except the first 3 you play in)

I have had problems logging in my score through the computer, don't know whether it's a pmg thing or the club. No major hassle as you just write down on the card that it wouldn't let you enter the card.

Overall it suits me right now, I only play in the comps as I play most of my social golf at a local muni.

Biggest thing i think, is if you plan on playing more than once a week or mainly at weekends then I don't think this is for you

Cheers for your opinion mate, its appreciated.
I will probably only play 2-3 times a month but I would like a competitive element to my golf and I'd like an official handicap again so I think this will be the way forward for me.