Planning Permission

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If planning permission is sought to convert a large double garage with upstairs room into a dwelling, and planning permission is refused…what is situation if the development is carried out in any case. Is there a period (numbers of years perhaps) after which the dwelling becomes legitimate by default if no complaints are raised, enabling such as further development of the property to be carried out. Or will it always be an illegal development hoping for a future change in planning law.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Never mind complaints, if the Planning Authority find out you've done it having had it rejected, you be putting back to the way it was and copping a fine.

We had a chap apply to build a 6 foot wall on a boundary. They approved 5 foot. He built 6 anyway. 6 months later he was removing the top 12 inches. No one complained, but they sent inspectors out to check.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Local Authority can demand that they put the building back to how it was. If they don't do it, the local authority will arrange for it to be done and charge the owner the cost.
Obstructing the necessary remedial work being done can then lead to arrest and prosecution.

Very bad decision to carry out work that does not have approval. Don't ever, ever do it.

yandabrown

Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The rule used to be that the Authorities could not do anything about after a period of around 4 years ( At least it was where I used to live) The previous owner had built a conservatory and we only found out planning had been refused when we wanted to change to it a proper extension.

Wanted to sue the solicitor for not finding out about it in the searches but she had closed up shop

One of the more obvious problems is if they come to sell there will be no Certificate of Occupancy from the Local Authority.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Can you not make amendments to the application and appeal or resubmit?

Surely any objection would have to have good reason.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Report it to planning dept in confidence. They will check it out and not reveal who informed them. It is your civic duty.
This is what I’ve advised, duty of care etc. I’ve also noted that the town‘s built environment society submitted strong opposition to the proposal and so I‘ll suggest that our friend goes to them as they will have no qualms contacting the council planning about it. That would take our friend completely out of the loop.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Frankly, and without wishing to go into the details, it simply seems to our friend that what her neighbours have done was simply driven by avarice...nothing else. They have plenty money (very nice houses, very fancy cars in the drive), they wanted to generate more, they felt they could get away with it. A tale of today. I'd like to think that our friend is wrong. But I dunno.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a massive peat bog site full of wildlife in Macclesfield that has just had planning permission granted for 300+ houses to be built in it. This is despite local objection and an ongoing fight against it. Also local councillors ( labour) who are in control of the council have fought against it. The local MP David rutley has got involved and is against it. A major road is going to be built around Macclesfield FCs ground, Robbie savage an all, and yet.....plans have been passed this week. It was never in doubt. My cousin owns a house where this road is going to be and received £10k as a retainer four years ago. All the others affected, five of them have had the same and buggered off one by one. He is still there. He wants one of the new builds, as a gift,and I reckon hes in a great position to get it now as he's the only one left.